Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #99
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlitherByU View Post
It's a SHELBY GT500 COBRA. Ya, so much to prove there... but you did suceed in making me chuckle. If you pass by a Shelby in your dream...it was because the Shelby allowed it.
...or on the second lap. LOL
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #100
ntrimm

Drives: 2013 ZL1. Black on Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Good luck with that. I have both cars and have driven both on the same track several times. With me behind the wheel (I am no novice, by no means a professional, but not a novice) and pretty familiar with the two tracks I frequent most often, Road Atlanta and Barber, I find that both cars put up very similar times. Some days the ZL1 does better, some days the GT500. In my personal experience, after changing out the stock brake fluid and brake pads out on both cars, the fade issues mentioned by some are much less of an issue. I do agree that, overall, the ZL1 brakes do feel better and inspire more confidence, but it's not like the pedal is going to the floor on the GT500 or I can't bring it down from speed in a respectable manner.

Still, GM diehards are always going to suggest that the GT500 can't turn and the Ford guys are going to comment on what a pig the ZL1 is. Just live with it and move on.
Well said my friend. 2013+ GT500's are faster than our ZL1's in a straight line no doubt and its a pretty close match on a road course. I like that you have both cars. True testament to a TRUE car enthusiast. I love the GT500's as well and will own one as well.
ntrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #101
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbfireman View Post
This thread scares me guys, I just sold my bmw m6, to get a ZL1.. I test drove a SS and had it going hard out on the highway and it sounded nice but I looked down and I was only going 80mph..
The dealer told me I needed a ZL1 it will smoke my car... Someone tell me they have smoked a M6!
I'm going to get one anyways but if there not much more faster than the SS I will be dosapointed...
...oh, you won't be dissapointed. The car just hits the torque "curve" <it's more like a flat table> early on and pulls on and on and on like there is no tomorrow. It's like a big block chevy from years ago. It's a smooth even, power distribution. No peaks or valleys. One runs out of road too quickly. It begs to open up. It's about as balanced as you could imagine.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #102
ihada69L78

Drives: 2023 Silverado LTZ, 2022 Camaro 2SS
What OLDSCOOLCAMARO said.
ihada69L78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #103
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
No way that's a stock exhaust? Mine didn't sound like that, atleast not to my knowledge, lol.
Yes it is stock, I put my gopro mic by exhaust
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #104
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
I could tell from the moment it moved an inch. 2 totally different cars. I am shocked you say you could hardly tell
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #105
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Uhm, I own an SS...the ZL1 I drove is SO MUCH FASTER/QUICKER! I'm thinking of upgrading...just trying to justify it. I don't race or track my car now, so I'm not sure I'd be the guy to drive it like its meant to be.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #106
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
Uhm, I own an SS...the ZL1 I drove is SO MUCH FASTER/QUICKER! I'm thinking of upgrading...just trying to justify it. I don't race or track my car now, so I'm not sure I'd be the guy to drive it like its meant to be.
It's quite alright to own it just to own it. A small percentage of the people who own sportbikes and high performance sports cars are actually capable of extracting every ounce of performance from them.

It's all in the marketing-- Chevy says "Let us show you what you can do with this car if you owned one" knowing that most customers are enthusiasts just wanting bragging rights and not much else. The car still has a 100,000 mile warranty because very few people will actually take these cars and brutalize them on a race track time and time again causing catastrophic failure to major engine components. Red Lobster wouldn't offer "Endless Shrimp" if everyone customer sat there for hours holding them to it. The truth is we're just too busy paying for these cars to really do much damage. (Unless you paid cash)

That warranty is for the people who drive them not much different from their family Malibu to the job and to the grocery store with an occasional, short lived, mash of the throttle.

Disclaimer-(Everything stated above is only opinion with no facts to support)

I'm quite sure you'll fit in fine with the rest of us no matter what your intended use is. Go for it!
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #107
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...well, add to that thought those who can, but don't have the expendable income to replace the fluids, tires, breaks, etc,..on campaiging a car off road. It adds up quick if you are short on bucks.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #108
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...well, add to that thought those who can, but don't have the expendable income to replace the fluids, tires, breaks, etc,..on campaiging a car off road. It adds up quick if you are short on bucks.
Yes sir! That too!
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote