Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
coreylively

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Drag racing not warrantied

I was the owner of a 2014 1SS/RS LS3 M6. My rear end failed on me during one of my monthly or so trips to the drag strip for friday night test and tune. I was on drag radials. Other than sub frame bushings and having a diablo tuner which the dealer did no know about, my car was stock. They denied me coverage because they deemed the car was driven outside normal conditions by me taking it to the drag strip. I had prior issues with the car. An axle broke around 3,000 miles, i developed a bearing noise in the rear carrier which resulted in the internal components being replaced along with the carrier. The noise later returned but no action was taken. The dealer said they couldnt hear it. Finally this happened at 21,400 milies and they voided my warranty. The initial call was taking pictures of what failed, the spider gears specifically, and of the rubber under the car from burnouts. Just thought I would share my experience. I fought as hard as I could and got nowhere. I now have a 2016 and before I do a thing with the car, I am exploring this quote of being able to track your car without fear of being denied warranty. My contact at another dealer is saying that this isnt the case and that statement is very broad and vague.
coreylively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
The COPO was the only car I know of Gm built for drag racing purposes..
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
JohnnyC
PURBRED

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1, 2007 Gmc Duramax
The ZL1 is under warranty on the strip or track
Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
I would try to do some research on here and find a mod friendly dealership in your area to help you out. In saying that, the M6 rear ends have been known to go when launching them with stock tires and especially with sticky tires. Will continue to happen unless it's upgraded.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
Motorboy8769

Drives: 2015 2ss
Did you tell them the car broke at the track?
Motorboy8769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
20152SS1Le

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
you should have at least cleaned up the rubber and taken the drag radials off as to not make it so obvious
Elite engineering catch can
Texas Speed 1 7/8 long tube headers and Cats
GPI Rod mod and ported intake
Ported throttle body
JRE tune
20152SS1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Old 04-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
I get what he is saying (forget the past issue)...just trying to double check if Camaro6 is fully warrantied while racing. If its completely stock (more than likely tires included in that statement), I believe so based on what was said live. But you should be on Camaro6.com inquiring.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
http://www.torquenews.com/106/factor...s-track-action

Stipulation: must be completely stock.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #10
coreylively

Ive read several things from the chief engineer stating about the ss being warrantied if taken to the track. Ive discussed this at length with another local dealer warranty rep who contacted his higher ups for an answer on this. I was told it was very vague and that I should not drag race my car that it will not be warrantied. If you look in the warranty manual it says that tracking and racing the car can affect the warranty. basically what I took away from everything is that its gonna come down to a judgement call by the individual rep at the dealer and what they feel like. GM leaves all the decisions up to the individual dealers as to whether a repair will be under warranty or not. It looks real good to read the articles and I was very excited to see that but it doesnt seem to be what it appears. Its not gonna stop me from going to friday night test and tune every so often, nor is it gonna stop me from doing autocross or trying a road coarse one day. i will just not be so honest when and if it comes time for a warranty repair after doing one of such things. On a side note, the only indication the dealer had on my old car as to it being drag raced was a season's worth of rubber under the car. they never seen the drag radials, nor the sub frame bushings i installed, nor did they know I had a diablo tuner on the car. They made the call on nothing else than rubber being under my car. This was Berglund Chevrolet in Roanoke, Virginia
Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #11
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Did you tell them you were on the track?

Old 05-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #12
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I was thinking that it was if your car was completely stock. Aka no drag radials. That alone may have been why..? Just guessing. Sorry to hear though op. :/

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:18 AM   #13
coreylively

Yes I when asked told them that I went to Friday night test and tune events on occasion with a maximum of being two times in a month
Old 05-11-2016, 01:25 AM   #14
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreylively View Post
Yes I when asked told them that I went to Friday night test and tune events on occasion with a maximum of being two times in a month
yea maybe you should have left that one to yourself
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote