Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 07-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #113
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I've read that several times, but my comprehension isn't always the best, that's why I was asking.

Seemed like the "wet" and "dry" PTM modes would be optimal for street driving versus the standard Tour and Sport modes.
Id think so too, as PTM as a system offers different levels of performance calibrations between the system for specific purposes and at various levels of intervention re Stabilitrak and TC. Having said that, i havent tested say PTM Dry vs regular Track setting sans PTM to see what the actual difference is, or whether it is at all noticable. Id also suppose if one wished to have the best (most aggressive) calibration yet retain both Stabilitrak and TC then PTM Sport 1 would seem like a natural choice regardless whether used on track or street. Just imo.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #114
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Id think so too, as PTM as a system offers different levels of performance calibrations between the system for specific purposes and at various levels of intervention re Stabilitrak and TC. Having said that, i havent tested say PTM Dry vs regular Track setting sans PTM to see what the actual difference is, or whether it is at all noticable. Id also suppose if one wished to have the best (most aggressive) calibration yet retain both Stabilitrak and TC then PTM Sport 1 would seem like a natural choice regardless whether used on track or street. Just imo.
Somewhere I thought I read where the PTM modes were for track only, I wasn't sure if there would be an issue with the eLSD on the street or if it was just GM lawyer clause for a liability CYA.
You know, someone wrecks and some lawyer blames the PTM race setting for causing the accident.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #115
cab33

Drives: Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
Sorry for bring this fantastic thread back to the top. Keep in mind I am coming from a 2002 M3. Turn everything off and go track the car. No nannies except the paltry 360hp or so I had with the mods.

So I want to make sure I understand this. Lets say I am at Road America heading down the straight into turn 5 at 150 (figure a ZL1 should hit that easily) in Race - sport 1. I hit the brakes, turn in, hit the apex, start track out. I can now hammer it to the floor and the computer will dole out the power keeping the car composed as I head up the hill to turn 6? No abrupt spin into the inside wall?

Race - Sport 2 and Race - Race less so?
Yes, your right needs no skilled input.
If you want to have your right foot mean something, use competition mode or all off.

After you get use to the car, it will be annoying how much power the other modes take away when the steering wheel is turned.
cab33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:45 AM   #116
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996

This should clarify it for you. Read my OP on first page incl GM engineer comments. Hope it helps. Ciao!
Trust me I read every word in this thread. I am trying to understand the practical implication with a real world example.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #117
Badgerbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab33 View Post
Yes, your right needs no skilled input.
If you want to have your right foot mean something, use competition mode or all off.

After you get use to the car, it will be annoying how much power the other modes take away when the steering wheel is turned.
Ok thanks for a straight forward answer. Nevertheless after so many hours on a track I don't know that my brain would actually trust the computer enough to try it and see what happens!
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 07-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #118
TrackClub

Quote:
Ok thanks for a straight forward answer. Nevertheless after so many hours on a track I don't know that my brain would actually trust the computer enough to try it and see what happens!
Frankly same here although i often use Race mode. Yet apply throttle progressively just like in any other car, whilr managing slip angles without help from Stabilitrak yet getting the best traction out of tires possible (at least according to GM).

I think it is important that unlike the old and trusty Competition Mode which retains Stabilitrack at all times, PTM Sport 2 and Race do not. This means the right foot is anything but useless, as the nannies do not control yaw, or slip angles but rather traction only. Hence it is absolutely possible to get out of whack rather quickly if one over does things especially on entry and mid corner. Having said that - the car is superbly balanced and predictable and if somebody just hammers a throttle on exit the TC system wont allow too much tire slip and if necessary will retard the power. But if anyone drives like this id say they need to enroll on hpde 101.

Now back to Comp Mode: altough it does not offer TC it does offer Stabilitrak which manages yaw. This means if you gun the throttle on exit and start going sideways the system WILL intervene and assist the driver in maintaining proper yaw. So id say Comp Mode is more intrusive and most importantly it may allow a driver to learn bad habits re throttle management as it will mask a real response by applying Stabilitrak nanny.

All based on my own opinion of course, so read the official info, test the modes and decide what you prefer best. But i will go as far as to suggest that with PTM available there is little reason to run Comp Mode unless for a drag strip. Cheers!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #119
Badgerbimmer

Very interesting. Well I figure Race Sport 1 is a good place to start learning the car on the track and progress from there.
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 07-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #120
TrackClub

Quote:
Very interesting. Well I figure Race Sport 1 is a good place to start learning the car on the track and progress from there.
I tried it out in Sport 1 for a few laps. Then Race. Then all off. It is more relaxed in Race vs Sport 1 especially on entry and mid corner, yet still superbly stable. Thats not to suggest Sport 1 isnt a fast mode even with both TC and Stabilitrak. It is very stable in all off as well imo, but i have pretty much settled on Race and the TC tech to worry less about oversteer on exits. Works for me anyway and i dont find it intrusive at all.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #121
Badgerbimmer

Quote:
I tried it out in Sport 1 for a few laps. Then Race. Then all off. It is more relaxed in Race vs Sport 1 especially on entry and mid corner, yet still superbly stable. Thats not to suggest Sport 1 isnt a fast mode even with both TC and Stabilitrak. It is very stable in all off as well imo, but i have pretty much settled on Race and the TC tech to worry less about oversteer on exits. Works for me anyway and i dont find it intrusive at all.
Its all a progression to learn the cars on track behavior. Just a question of many laps needed to find the quickest setting for me.
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 07-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #122
sonikk71

Drives: 2017 Summit White V6 1LE
What about us V6 1LE drivers? Obviously we dont have elsd but any other differences?
sonikk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #123
Badgerbimmer

Quote:
Sorry for bring this fantastic thread back to the top. Keep in mind I am coming from a 2002 M3. Turn everything off and go track the car. No nannies except the paltry 360hp or so I had with the mods.

So I want to make sure I understand this. Lets say I am at Road America heading down the straight into turn 5 at 150 (figure a ZL1 should hit that easily) in Race - sport 1. I hit the brakes, turn in, hit the apex, start track out. I can now hammer it to the floor and the computer will dole out the power keeping the car composed as I head up the hill to turn 6? No abrupt spin into the inside wall?

Race - Sport 2 and Race - Race less so?
I should have reread the High Performance Supplement the answer to my question was right there;

"To experience the performance
benefit of PTM, after entering a
curve and at the point where you
would normally start to increase
acceleration, fully press the
accelerator pedal. The PTM system
will modify the level of engine power
for a smooth and consistent
corner exit."

It doesn't specify if this is while in Sport 1, 2 or race.
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 07-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #124
TrackClub

Quote:
I should have reread the High Performance Supplement the answer to my question was right there;

"To experience the performance
benefit of PTM, after entering a
curve and at the point where you
would normally start to increase
acceleration, fully press the
accelerator pedal. The PTM system
will modify the level of engine power
for a smooth and consistent
corner exit."

It doesn't specify if this is while in Sport 1, 2 or race.
Any PTM mode works under the same principles albeit with different parameters. Note an interesting comment by the GM engineer in his comments regarding steering angles to get the most out of the TC system.

PS As much as i am happy to take GM pros comments literally as posted in the link, the manual is a bit of a mess and as such i dont trust is completely. Neither do i find that gunning the throttle to the floor produces better pace results vs a regular method (which i continue to apply regardless of the PTM). Lastly, i drive other cars from time to time and would hate to learn bad habits
Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #125
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikk71 View Post
What about us V6 1LE drivers? Obviously we dont have elsd but any other differences?
Do you guys have exactly the same PTM modes?
Sorry, i know nothing regarding your car set ups.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #126
Sleeks

Drives: None
Quote:
Any PTM mode works under the same principles albeit with different parameters. Note an interesting comment by the GM engineer in his comments regarding steering angles to get the most out of the TC system.

PS As much as i am happy to take GM pros comments literally as posted in the link, the manual is a bit of a mess and as such i dont trust is completely. Neither do i find that gunning the throttle to the floor produces better pace results vs a regular method (which i continue to apply regardless of the PTM). Lastly, i drive other cars from time to time and would hate to learn bad habits
Agree on the bad habits stuff.....that being said I have tried the mash the gas and let the car sort it out at Road America in sport 1. It was interesting. Could definitely feel the car not giving me full power until I started to straighten out. Engine also sounded much different.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote