Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-06-2023, 06:05 PM   #1
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
P0420 on replaced catalytic converter

Back in 2019, I had the P0420 code with bank 2 efficiency. Since I'm in California, the emissions warranty is good for 8 years (2014 Camaro LT). I took it to the dealer and they said they had to replace the catalytic converter. Mileage was 47,000 at the time.

In February of 2023, I got the same error code but this time with bank 1 efficiency. Mileage now is 73,000. I've gotten an oil change, cleaned the TB, MAF, and air filter. Manually cleared the code three times but it always comes back with the same code after about 150 miles. My only mods are a catch can and an Airaid modular intake tube.

Took it to a mechanic (non-dealer) and they said I need a new catalytic converter. My question is, does a cat that is replaced by the original warranty get covered or am I out of luck getting it replaced/fixed by the dealerxx?
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:05 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Does it not have a separate cat for each bank? Sounds like it probably does based upon the bank 1 and bank 2 description.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:10 PM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
If it's been longer than 8 years now than I imagine you'd be paying for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Does it not have a separate cat for each bank? Sounds like it probably does based upon the bank 1 and bank 2 description.
Yup, two cats on either side.

I got this code after installing the Mace cams. Was worried that the timing was off, but I was also running super rich. After getting the fuel dialed in closer to stoich the code went away. Have you done any scanning to check your long term and short term fuel trims? I imagine this wouldn't be an issue since you're mostly stock, but just a thought.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
sstephen17

Thanks for the info. I have to do smog next year (did it in 2021) so I'll have to make a decision on paying for a new cat before then or getting a new car, which my wife and I planned to do sometime in 2024.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
could also be a defective O2 sensor, pretty strange for your cats to have worn out so much on the same bank again. you ever drive the car with the engine light on for rich codes or misfire codes?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
sstephen17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
could also be a defective O2 sensor, pretty strange for your cats to have worn out so much on the same bank again. you ever drive the car with the engine light on for rich codes or misfire codes?
It's actually a different bank. Bank 2 when it got replaced and now I'm getting bank 1. Maybe I should have them replace the O2 sensors?

I do have an Autel OBD2 Scanner MS309. It can get freeze frame data; is there anything I should be looking for other than the P0420 code it gives?
Old 03-17-2023, 12:48 PM   #7
zmotorsports
Hardcore Gearhead

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Look at your upstream and downstream O2 sensor signals. The upstreams should be switching hi/lo relatively quick and the downstreams should be relatively "lazy", almost non responsive but just floating along and I like to see in the 350mV to around 650mV range.

If the downstreams are switching similar to the upstreams then the catalytic converter is not functioning. I also like to shoot the inlet and the outlet with an IR gun. You want to see the outlet approx. 100 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the inlet side to determine if the catalytic converter is functioning (lighting off).