Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
BJJKRIS

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #18
Emissions Warranty? Or so you thought

This post is being started to document the dealing with GM in regards to their emissions warranty, how it differs from the Federal Emissions Warranty (yes thats a thing) and what specifically I'm going through with my Z/28.

Lets start with the problem:

1. I can't put gas in my car. And no its not the pump/pumps I've been using. Holding the filler nozzle slightly away from the filler neck does not solve the problem. The pump stops almost immediately as if the tank is full. Through reading and some deductive reasoning... it leaves to believe it is the charcoal canister. If its gets fuel into it, charcoal can dissolve and either clog the hose, or cause the purge valve to get stuck open/shut. mine appears to be shut. If air can not escape while fuel is coming in.... the pump will think it is full and shut off.

2. Other issues could possible be the check valve on the passenger side head (mine tests out fine with a 9v battery test).

I made an appt with my local Chevy dealer, nice enough guys and nothing personal towards them for any of what will be written okay? Bring the car in, and after explaining the issue i'm told it will be a 95.00 diagnostics fee (I was prepared for that) but then the employee states right off the bat "if it is what you think it won't be covered under warranty so the 95.00 won't be refundable". So i'm like "hold up, I still have the remainder of my emissions warranty". To which the same person states "only covers catalytic converters."

Before I get mad and argue I just take the car back and leave.

Call another dealer, same response. That the canister isn't part of the emissions warranty. Now if you aren't knowledgeable on the part in question.... this thing is specifically on every new car to absorb fumes and return them to the fuel tank for later use. just like the valve by the passenger side head returns fumes to the intake to be burned there. It is 100% part of the emissions system, so that fumes don't evaporate to the atmosphere.

I have a feeling if the entire subframe didn't need to be dropped to replace this tiny little thing... Chevy might feel differently about the part in question. (I have access to a lift and can do it myself... but i'd rather not if its covered under warranty).

Now.... the federal emissions warranty:

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...verlooked.html

Link is above for your reading, but here is what is covered on vehicles built since 1995:

Air system controls
Catalytic converters
Distributor and distributor components
Electronic fuel injection system and injectors
Evaporative-emission canister and controls
Exhaust manifold
Exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system
Exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst)
Fuel cap and tank assembly
Pump and fuel lines
Ignition coil and ignition module
Intake manifold
On-board diagnostic-system components
Oxygen sensors
Positive crankcase-ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice
Powertrain control module
Secondary ignition wires
Spark plugs
Throttle body
Transmission-control module
Vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components
Vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems.
For details about which components may be covered, consult your vehicle's warranty manual, consult your dealer or contact your vehicle manufacturer.

Now, has anyone else had any luck using this federal warranty to maybe force GM's hand? What are your experiences?

Update: calling GM directly results in them telling me they can't know anything until I allow the dealer to diagnose my car. Why would I let them do that if what I need fixed isn't covered according to the dealer?
BJJKRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
11_Camaro

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Below is a FAQ from the EPA website.

I underlined a couple of things that appear to be applicable, and also may explain the dealer's response.

What is the federally mandated warranty for emission controls on my car?

The Clean Air Act requires manufacturers of light-duty vehicles to provide two federal emission control warranties: (A) "Performance Warranty" and (B) "Design and Defect Warranty." These warranties are provided by the vehicle manufacturer and apply to used vehicles as well. The warranty period begins from the date of sale to the original owner.

The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) because the vehicle failed an emission test. Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. If you are a resident of an area with an Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) program that meets federal guidelines, you are eligible for this warranty protection provided that:

Your car or light-duty truck fails an approved emissions test; and
Your vehicle is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles (up to 8 years/80,000 miles for certain components); and
Your state or local government requires that you repair the vehicle; and
The test failure does not result from misuse of the vehicle or a failure to follow the manufacturers’ written maintenance instructions; and
You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer representative, along with evidence of the emission test failure, during the warranty period.

The Design and Defect warranty covers repair of emission control or emission related parts which fail to function or function improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship for 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever first occurs), and the specified major emissions control components mentioned above for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The manufacturer can deny this warranty coverage if evidence shows that the emission component failure was caused by improper use or maintenance and not caused by a defect.

A list of these components and a description of the warranties (PDF) (10 pp, 697K, EPA-420-F-15-035, October 2015) is available on our web site. However, vehicle technology is constantly changing, therefore there may be emissions control components or emissions related components which do not appear on this list. A more complete list can be found in your owner's manual/warranty booklet. The specified major emissions control components, however, are specified in the Clean Air Act and are the only components subject to the 8 years/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty.

When you believe you have identified a defective part, or your vehicle fails an emission test, you should follow the procedures for making a warranty claim as identified by the manufacturer in your owner’s manual or warranty booklet. If you plan to have the manufacturer pay for a repair under either of the emissions warranties, you must take the vehicle to a facility authorized by the vehicle manufacturer for repair to give them the opportunity to diagnose and repair it. Note that if your regular repair facility is not authorized by the vehicle manufacturer, they are not obligated to advise you of parts that are covered under warranty. Before giving your automotive technician the “go ahead” to perform repairs, check your owner’s manual/warranty booklet for possible warranty coverage. Additional state laws may apply, so you might want to contact your state Department of Motor Vehicles to find out.
11_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
OP-I am willing to trade my car for yours. Fuel tank fills quickly and frequently.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:15 AM   #4
BJJKRIS

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro__ss View Post
OP-I am willing to trade my car for yours. Fuel tank fills quickly and frequently.

Hahaha. It’s almost to that point. Just have to plan for a twenty minute fuel up each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJJKRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Personally I would disconnect things until gas goes in.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
like the first reply says, it won't be covered. even cars with PZEV warranty (150,000 mile or 15 year emissions warranty) don't cover stuff like that. the warranty is "major" emissions parts, which usually hardly includes anything. you can fail emissions testing and have an emissions light on due to a transmission which seems pretty major to me, but it won't be covered at 145,000 miles due to the emissions warranty.
out of luck sorry

Luckily the canister on the camaro is extremely cheap compared to other cars. Toyota canisters go for like $450-$650, the camaro canister lists out at like $220? just the labor sucks.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote