Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-10-2022, 09:35 PM   #1
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Magnetic Ride Control - Calibration

So some of you may know that I put some BMR lowering springs on FasNuf. Well I knew the Suspension Control Module might need recalibrated because when you lower the car, the sensors get rotated as if the body is in dampening mode and any input from the road from there isn't correctly accounted for by the system. It took a couple tries, but I managed to find a dealer that said they heard of it. The others never heard of it and didn't really care to investigate.

I took the car in early in the morning before the tech got greasy with other vehicles and he connected it to the OBDII. It took about 20 minutes and it was back out in the lot ready to go. He said there was an update to the Suspension Control Module and after he did that, he performed the Trim Height Reset.
The Trim Height Reset is basically telling the module that the current resistance at the magride sensors are at neutral height.

I didn't expect such a drastic difference in the way the car feels. Probably the biggest difference is in Track mode. The front of the car doesnt bounce like its on stops anymore. I could daily this in Track mode, it's that nice. Touring is more stable over bigger bumps now. The back end of the car would feel pitched up in some bumps and a little unstable in turns.

If you lowered your magride car, dont blame the springs just yet, and hold off getting those coil overs until you try the Trim Height Reset and possible update to your module. Expect an hour of labor even though they wont have it but maybe 30 minutes. who knows, maybe i got jipped, but the ride now is worth it.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:01 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Interesting....

I would if this could be done at home somehow?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:45 PM   #3
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Interesting....

I would if this could be done at home somehow?
I do a lot of automation calibrations for a living, not saying this will work but there is a good chance it will
The damping of the suspension would more then likely be written into the firmware so it's stored on an eeprom but the zero and trim should reset by removing the voltage to the module.
Disconnect the battery for 10-15min and try it out.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:54 AM   #4
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
I do a lot of automation calibrations for a living, not saying this will work but there is a good chance it will
The damping of the suspension would more then likely be written into the firmware so it's stored on an eeprom but the zero and trim should reset by removing the voltage to the module.
Disconnect the battery for 10-15min and try it out.
The only thing disconnecting the battery ever did for my car was to reset the Long Term Fuel Trims, there was never a change to the ride quality. I'm pretty sure if that's all the dealer had to do to fix my issue, then that's all they would've done and GM wouldn't have had an actual procedure to plug into the OBDII for corrections. Maybe everything that changed came solely from the update and not the trim reset. Disconnecting the battery won't hurt, I just don't think it'll help.

Unfortunately HP Tuners doesn't give access to the body or suspension control module. Wish they did, we could have all kinds of fun.

Last edited by FasNuf; 07-11-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:28 AM   #5
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Any details on the update they applied? Interesting.

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Any details on the update they applied? Interesting.
The technician just told me that when he plugged into the car, and went to do the trim reset that there was an update available for the suspension control module. He updated the module and then did the trim height reset.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:48 AM   #7
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Thanks.

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:22 AM   #8
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Talking

Hello,
Saw your video about this, then found your post. I made an appointment to get mine done. Back end feels loose, been trying to figure out why.
Thanks for helping me once again!

PS Great looking dog, whats his/her name?
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:23 AM   #9
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
Hello,
Saw your video about this, then found your post. I made an appointment to get mine done. Back end feels loose, been trying to figure out why.
Thanks for helping me once again!

PS Great looking dog, whats his/her name?
Thanks Vic, hopefully it will help your ride feel better.
That’s my wife’s dog Bella.
Keep me posted on the results of the appointment
Old 07-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #10
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
can the suspension module be seen/updated through canbus or is it an isolated module?
Fasnuf, any idea what the tech was using for a connection point?
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
can the suspension module be seen/updated through canbus or is it an isolated module?
He said dealer used OBD2, so they likely used GDS2, although maybe a TECH2 device might do it.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #12
FasNuf

Quote:
He connected his device through my OBDII port.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:47 AM   #13
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Thanks Vic, hopefully it will help your ride feel better.
That’s my wife’s dog Bella.
Keep me posted on the results of the appointment
So I took my 2013 ZL1 to the dealer, found out that 2013 ZL1's built after the 1st of August and newer have a reset for the level value. Mine being made prior to August 2013 does not have the ability to be reset. I am checking into updateing my suspension module.

Last edited by Vicster; 07-29-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #14
FasNuf

Weird, They should've told you if there was a suspension control module update available or not when they plugged into it.

Something seems off.

I'd call the parts department and ask if the part number on your vin and my vin are the same for the module. If they are, they're pulling your leg.