Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
thedoc

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro (Standard)
Buying New v. Buying Used

Hey guys, long-time lurker here. I'm FINALLY able to buy one of my dream cars- a Camaro of course- but I am concerned about getting the best value for my money. I've done a lot of research and currently have three offers on brand new camaros ($21,459, $22,027, $22,072) without taxes, dealer fees, etc. (that also includes rebates).

Being the paranoid person I am, I am now wondering if I should look more into the used market and possibly get something higher than the base model for less money (potentially).

Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first time going to a dealer, hell this is my first time buying a car (my other cars have been hand-me-downs and fixer-uppers) and I'm a little worried about debt, buying a lemon, etc.

Thanks for reading!
thedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
crazy4camaro

Drives: 2012 RSLT,1979 Trans Am
IMO....... if you are on a budget and can find just what you want used with warranty still in effect that may be the way to go. good luck
crazy4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
You'll get a lot more car for the money used...there's a lot of good used camaros out there....you'll get the best car and bargain from and individual vs a dealership or car lot..best thing to do is get pre approved from a lending institution and start looking for that bargain of a life time....your looking for distressed sellers. Not distressed cars...look on here at the used car section for an idea of what's out there...you can probably get a ss used for what you'd spend on a new 6 cyl....you'll never regret getting the ss...good luck
hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
thedoc

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro (Standard)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4camaro View Post
IMO....... if you are on a budget and can find just what you want used with warranty still in effect that may be the way to go. good luck
Thanks, I think I'll start looking into used as well, I just don't want to have to fix ANYTHING after having to do so much fixing on my last two cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
...you can probably get a ss used for what you'd spend on a new 6 cyl....you'll never regret getting the ss...good luck
Thanks for the advice. I see you have an ss. The gas mileage thats listed looks dismal. Is that a fair representation of real-world gas mileage?
thedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Hey guys, long-time lurker here. I'm FINALLY able to buy one of my dream cars- a Camaro of course- but I am concerned about getting the best value for my money. I've done a lot of research and currently have three offers on brand new camaros ($21,459, $22,027, $22,072) without taxes, dealer fees, etc. (that also includes rebates).

Being the paranoid person I am, I am now wondering if I should look more into the used market and possibly get something higher than the base model for less money (potentially).

Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first time going to a dealer, hell this is my first time buying a car (my other cars have been hand-me-downs and fixer-uppers) and I'm a little worried about debt, buying a lemon, etc.

Thanks for reading!
Greetings thedoc,

I'm happy you're close to getting your Camaro! What a huge step to take and I know you're excited! Please keep us updated on the process and feel free to contact us with any questions.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Buying a Camaro (or any sports car) used is a big risk in my eyes. Odds are high that it has been driven hard.

Buy a new car, take great care of it from day one and a GM will last a long time.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
There is nothing like buying a new car but you could find a 2010 SS for close to a V6. I get 25mpg on my 2SS.

Good luck on what ever you get.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Good luck in your search Thedoc ! !

Hope you can find one that
fits your budget ! ! !

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
HeadonaStick

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
I loved my new cars and I've had a few, but unless I become wealthy I won't buy new again. I just think you loose too much the minute you drive it off the lot.

I always look for a car a year or two old that someone else has already taken the initial hit on - it will still be under warranty and you will be able to either save a lot or get more car for the same money. I wouldn't get anything without a warranty unless you know the owner and car.
HeadonaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
JamesDean

Drives: 2010 FBO 335i, 2013 RS Camaro v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingSS View Post
There is nothing like buying a new car but you could find a 2010 SS for close to a V6. I get 25mpg on my 2SS.

Good luck on what ever you get.

Bill
I agree with Bowling. Buying a new car is great, but getting a buffed up used car would be equally as great. Getting a 2SS with low-ish miles and good interior and you would be more than happy.
JamesDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
2010Slowmaro
5.0 lol...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Buying a brand new car is a bad investment. You'll lose money everytime.
Besides, you'll be MUCH happier in a '10 SS than a '13 base, trust me

Custom tuned by a Skinny White Guy
2010Slowmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Bowtiepower00

Drives: Previous Camaros: 69, 89, 11, 13
Find a good dealer with reasonable prices on their website, and hardball them to lower the price some more. I have never paid over invoice for a new car and always get the rebates on top. Usually, I pay significantly less. If they wont deal, walk. Period. No worries about who owned it, and how it was driven or taken care of. There are several dealers listed on this site that give good deals, start with them. The prices I see listed for used Camaros are ridiculous, usually within a couple thousand of new. I'll gladly spend the extra for a new one.

The exception might be a very clean, private party vehicle, or a highly modified vehicle in excellent condition, but they are few and far between. And you still have to worry about undisclosed problems or damage.
Bowtiepower00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
I think some cars you should buy new.....especially when it comes to New age Muscle cars.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I have bought and leased new cars, and bought my Camaro used, there isn't much difference as long as the car is litely used. when I bought my 2010 1LT everyone thought it was brand new and it looked and felt like it. Have always wanted to order a car from factory to my specs but with my budget buying litely used is the best way to maximize the bang for the bucks I have to spend. will more than likely go used again when I step up to an SS in two or three years.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buyers remorse, dealers, new camaro, used camaro