Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
jagreb

Drives: Accord w/177,000 miles
High Intensity headlights question(new guy)

Hi all!,

I'm new to the site, so pardon me if this is a stupid question, but does anyone know if it will be possible to get the HID headlights without getting the RS package?

The headlights seem to be a good safety feature (and they look cool too), but I really have no desire to darken my taillights and have no idea what a "roof ditch molding" is. Perhaps someone can explain what that is as well?

Lastly, when can we expect the cars to start hitting the dealerships? If I were to buy, I think I will wait until the '10 Mustangs come out. I figure the competition from the new Mustang might help inspire dealers to come down a little more. I'm a teacher in the real world, so if I'm going to be able to afford this car, they're going to have to be nice.

I'm thinking of getting the 2LT V6 if I can get a good price. You just can't beat the looks of this car and 29mpg. That's as good as my 4 cylinder 98 Accord! I just hope the quality of construction and reliability is also on par with Honda.

Thanks all.
jagreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
fsuredneck

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang
The RS package is required in order to get factory HIDs
fsuredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
The question about HID headlights in a non RS car, is no. HID's/Halos are only available in the RS package.
Roof ditch molding is the body colour (or black plastic piece) seperating the roof from the top of the door panel area. And the tinted taillights aren't super dark over non RS, just enough to tell they are different.

Cars at dealerships? Depending where you are... possibly July? But don't quote me on that, it's a really hard question to answer right now...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
jagreb

Wow, talk about a quick response! Thanks for the information!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

No prob, it's what we're here for!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagreb View Post
Hi all!,

I'm new to the site, so pardon me if this is a stupid question, but does anyone know if it will be possible to get the HID headlights without getting the RS package?

The headlights seem to be a good safety feature (and they look cool too), but I really have no desire to darken my taillights and have no idea what a "roof ditch molding" is. Perhaps someone can explain what that is as well?
First, the roof-ditch is that seam where the roof panel meets the side body panels. On most modern cars, you see a black metal/rubber seal up there. The Camaro will have those colored black as standard -- but it will be body-colored with the RS package, lending a smooth, sleek look to the roof.

As for the lights, the only way to get them from the factory is to order the RS package.

I'm not sure if there's a cost factor here, but if there is; consider this: The HID headlights on this car are very pricey. When this topic comes up, I challenge people to find a set of aftermarket HIDs + projectors like the Camaro's (dual beam) for under 800-1000 bucks. Unless you know someone who knows someone, or you're getting a great deal...it's just not gonna happen.

Finally -- don't worry about quality. While this isn't a coushy midsized family car like the most recent Accords...it IS going to be a VERY high-quality vehicle like it's predecessors, the Malibu, Aura, Traverse, and other recent, award-winning entries from GM. The car's being produced at one of North America's premier assembly plants, and the month delay in production was intended to make sure this car was of the highest possible quality when delivered to the Customer.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
CamaroEd

Drives: 2005 GMC Sierra
What does everyone think about this for your Tag
SS- plus your production number
LT- the same way
and some good news 3-17 my car was put in 3400-Broadcast
2SS/RS GBA,AAY,B7W Polished wheels
CamaroEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
jagreb

Dragon,

Good to hear about the extra effort put into the quality of the Camaro. I have to be honest, I don't know much about the reputations of the other GM cars you listed. After I had to get rid of my 69 Mustang before I went to college, I've only bought one car since then, which is my Accord. Over the years, I've considered getting a new car a couple time and I hate to say it, but I never really even considered an American car because I just assumed that Japanese cars (Honda & Toyota) were just better made and built with higher quality materials. I can't speak for American cars, but I bought my Accord brand new. It's got 177,000 miles on it and hasn't ever been in the shop for anything other than an oil change. The only minor item that has broken is the A/C knob and I fixed that with Super Glue. If the new Camaro can match that level of quality, then they have truly built an aesthetic and engineering masterpiece.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Quote:
Dragon,

Good to hear about the extra effort put into the quality of the Camaro. I have to be honest, I don't know much about the reputations of the other GM cars you listed. After I had to get rid of my 69 Mustang before I went to college, I've only bought one car since then, which is my Accord. Over the years, I've considered getting a new car a couple time and I hate to say it, but I never really even considered an American car because I just assumed that Japanese cars (Honda & Toyota) were just better made and built with higher quality materials. I can't speak for American cars, but I bought my Accord brand new. It's got 177,000 miles on it and hasn't ever been in the shop for anything other than an oil change. The only minor item that has broken is the A/C knob and I fixed that with Super Glue. If the new Camaro can match that level of quality, then they have truly built an aesthetic and engineering masterpiece.
Toyotas and Hondas are always at the top on reliability per Consumer Reports. Don't think GM cars have gotten there yet. But this new Camaro ain't no Toyota- the looks and the power (of either engine) should make up for slightly less reliablity IMO.

Usually the people who want the first cars will pay extra for that privilege. Like you, I will wait a little while to test drive a car and see the Cyber Gray and Red Metallic in person. I figure there will be better discounts then also.

Last edited by Cyberfan; 03-20-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
Toyotas and Hondas are always at the top on reliability per Consumer Reports. Don't think GM cars have gotten there yet. But this new Camaro ain't no Toyota- the looks and the power (of either engine) should make up for slightly less reliablity IMO.
Don't forget, this is a new generation of car, at an award winning plant.
Rick Hendrick even said it himself. He's "never seen a better quality vehicle in the 33 years he's had dealers"!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Dragon,

The IVER test cars has over 200,000 miles on it and it was still kicking strong. I'm pretty sure they've built a kick-ass car in terms of quality.

And take a peek at those other vehicles I mentioned when you have time...they're on par or better than their Japanese rivals in many areas, though no vehicle is "perfect". That quality gap you speak of no longer exists, it's pure perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
Actually, Buick punted Lexus (you know, those shiny Toyotas) out of first place this year in JDPower's quality study. The other brands aren't too shabby, either, and improving. Ditto for Ford.

But that's not the subject of this thread, so I digress. To see more, go here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15993

Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The IVER test cars has over 200,000 miles on it and it was still kicking strong. I'm pretty sure they've built a kick-ass car in terms of quality.

And take a peek at those other vehicles I mentioned when you have time...they're on par or better than their Japanese rivals in many areas, though no vehicle is "perfect". That quality gap you speak of no longer exists, it's pure perception.

Actually, Buick punted Lexus (you know, those shiny Toyotas) out of first place this year in JDPower's quality study. The other brands aren't too shabby, either, and improving. Ditto for Ford.

But that's not the subject of this thread, so I digress. To see more, go here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15993

I HOPE that the Camaro does as well as Buick, which has been the best in the quality department for the General for a while. We'll see. The high-tech V-6 is from Cadillac, so maybe that engine will score high. But on average, Toyota and Honda are usually still on top. I agree that Detroit is improving, which is essential for the long term health of the U. S. auto industry. But I had major transmission (6 speed) and drive train issues with my 02 Firebird at about 75,000 miles. Almost $3,000 to get it right.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
jagreb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

I saw that about Buick and Ford (and Jaguar) taking huge jumps up in quality ratings. I believe Ford had several cars from their brands on the list.

To be honest, I've been a Mustang guy ever since I met my 69 coupe, but even though the new generation of Mustangs looks a great deal like a 69, it just doesn't match what the Camaro has to offer in terms of bang for buck/fuel economy/looks. I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with that back end, but

As far as GM, hasn't the Cadillac CTS been rated highly since it has come out? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the up-engined CTS have the same V6 that the 2LT RS will carry? How has that engine performed in terms of quality/reliability for the CTS?

Again, thanks for all great the info!
Old 03-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
As far as GM, hasn't the Cadillac CTS been rated highly since it has come out? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the up-engined CTS have the same V6 that the 2LT RS will carry? How has that engine performed in terms of quality/reliability for the CTS?
Yes, in fact, the CTS won a Car of the Year award, and the engine specifically got on Wards 10 best engines list for 2009: Which is a huge deal; because the similar Nissan VQ engine didn't appear on the list -- and it's been there for a few years now....

It hasn't been out quite long enough to comment on the dependability...but its supposed to be an incredibly refined engine. If you do a search around here...I know that GM high-performance magazine put out an editorial about the V6 engine...drooling over it...