Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-26-2023, 03:36 PM   #15
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
It's going to big significantly louder if you install headers, possibly too loud for your tastes. If you're worried about being too loud, I would avoid headers on these cars.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:32 PM   #16
6ixPoint2ss

Drives: from a 2SS to a zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
It's going to big significantly louder if you install headers, possibly too loud for your tastes. If you're worried about being too loud, I would avoid headers on these cars.
Yea I hear that, no pun intended.
6ixPoint2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:27 PM   #17
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Catless LT's -> resonated x pipe -> Stock NPP

VS

Stock headers -> Cat delete pipes -> resonated X -> Corsa NPP.

LT Headers setup is a little louder with valves closed. Stock headers setup is louder with valves open @ WOT.

Honestly the LTH, Res X, Stock NPP setup is pretty tame and sounds good. I wouldn't waste money on aftermarket axel back for what they cost now.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:17 AM   #18
6ixPoint2ss

Drives: from a 2SS to a zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Catless LT's -> resonated x pipe -> Stock NPP

VS

Stock headers -> Cat delete pipes -> resonated X -> Corsa NPP.

LT Headers setup is a little louder with valves closed. Stock headers setup is louder with valves open @ WOT.

Honestly the LTH, Res X, Stock NPP setup is pretty tame and sounds good. I wouldn't waste money on aftermarket axel back for what they cost now.
Thanks for the info.
6ixPoint2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:09 PM   #19
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Dumb question probably but do long tubes require a tune?
Old 09-28-2023, 12:52 PM   #20
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Dumb question probably but do long tubes require a tune?
Yes
Old 09-28-2023, 05:18 PM   #21
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I have kooks, no cats and borla s type.

Install was easy. Imo TO easy. I thought I missed something because it went so smoothly. **minus the dip stick tube. That ****ing thing took me an hour to get back in.

As far as sound, on cold start it's loud. But in 10 secs it barely louder than when it was just the axle back.

Just driving, it acts just like the axle back only. But when you get on it, it's pretty loud.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:50 PM   #22
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I have kooks, no cats and borla s type.

Install was easy. Imo TO easy. I thought I missed something because it went so smoothly. **minus the dip stick tube. That ****ing thing took me an hour to get back in.

As far as sound, on cold start it's loud. But in 10 secs it barely louder than when it was just the axle back.

Just driving, it acts just like the axle back only. But when you get on it, it's pretty loud.
Unfortunately, in order to enjoy driving the car, you will have to drive it at more than just part throttle, and that's when it gets loud with headers, as you stated. Mine has Kooks 2" headers, GESI high flow cats, and AWE resonated touring catback. It sounds fantastic at part throttle but I won't lie, at full throttle it is VERY loud. Its borderline tolerable but we all have different sound thresholds.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:27 PM   #23
AZIROC

Quote:
Unfortunately, in order to enjoy driving the car, you will have to drive it at more than just part throttle, and that's when it gets loud with headers, as you stated. Mine has Kooks 2" headers, GESI high flow cats, and AWE resonated touring catback. It sounds fantastic at part throttle but I won't lie, at full throttle it is VERY loud. Its borderline tolerable but we all have different sound thresholds.

It's pretty much a track only car so I'm use to the loud when it comes to that. Otherwise if I take it out to a car show or on a road trip, I'm not trying to set any land speed records or race people with 500 credit scores, so I just cruise. I know what the car is capable of so no reason to drive like an idiot.

That also being said, the AWE is alot louder than a borla s-type. I would not want that loud of an exhaust.

Last edited by AZIROC; 09-28-2023 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:24 AM   #24
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
It's pretty much a track only car so I'm use to the loud when it comes to that. Otherwise if I take it out to a car show or on a road trip, I'm not trying to set any land speed records or race people with 500 credit scores, so I just cruise. I know what the car is capable of so no reason to drive like an idiot.

That also being said, the AWE is alot louder than a borla s-type. I would not want that loud of an exhaust.
It's not really that much louder and having cats lowers the sound volume compared to not having cats so I'd say it's probably very close to yours. You may be thinking of the AWE track edition catback with no mufflers.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:54 AM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
With the cat back you already have, a set of ARH with HF cats will likely be too loud, although that part is highly subjective. Do you still have your stock cat-back? After you do the headers, you may want to put the stock cat back on...

After i did my ARH + HF cats, and an AWE touring kit, the car was WAYYYYY to loud with drone, so i added a magnaflow center X muffler that not only eliminated the drone, but it really deepened the exhaust tone, and I receive TONS of compliments and questions about the tone, anytime im out... the cam also helps

If you are only wanting better idle volume, but quite WOT volume, consider a set of electric cut-outs before your mufflers.
Really like this setup
I was pretty sure AWE would drone after header install so I stayed away until I see this. Thanks for the post and one of the BEST build videos I've ever seen.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:02 AM   #26
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
I come from the ls1 days in my older trans am to the lt4 gen 6 platform. And the ls1 back in the day benefited incredibly by going to long tube headers, is it the same benefit in the lt4 horsepower wise?
Old 09-29-2023, 03:32 PM   #27
AZIROC

Quote:
It's not really that much louder and having cats lowers the sound volume compared to not having cats so I'd say it's probably very close to yours. You may be thinking of the AWE track edition catback with no mufflers.

Ur right. I was thinking the track version. That 1 is just disgustingly loud. And I've been told cats will help quiet the car down.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:38 PM   #28
AZIROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I come from the ls1 days in my older trans am to the lt4 gen 6 platform. And the ls1 back in the day benefited incredibly by going to long tube headers, is it the same benefit in the lt4 horsepower wise?

Imo, no. I'm use to 4th geb stuff as well and agree, a full exhaust on a ls1 4th gen really woke up the engine. On an lt4...ehh. not so much. But imo, it's more of a needed "supporting" mod. want to do a pulley and/or port the blower, you better have headers. As far as how much power does a full exhaust add.... somewhere in the 15-20rwhp.

Tags
6th gen, headers, zl1, zl1 1le