Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Shade

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Spark Plug Tube Oil

Hello,

I've found several posts about this issue but have a question. I still have an occasional miss fire issue due to oil being found in my spark plug tubes. The oil appears to be only in the tube, nothing on the cylinder side (tip). So I bought some new gaskets to replace. Looking down the tube it looks like the oil is leaking through the base where it meets up with the head. Most posts I see state that the gasket at the top of the tube is the culprit. But looking at the pictures I took you can see the circular base is where it appears to be leaking in from. Looking at diagrams of the engine I see the tubes are inserted with no gasket. Are these pressed in? I'm curious if some tube gasket material could be used to stop this from happening form the inside (oil side). I have new tubes but don't know how difficult they are to replace. Any insight or tips would be helpful.
Attached Images

Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Conehead396

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 1967 Camaro RS
Following. I have seen that on 3 of my cylinders but not as much as yours. I check it every oil change and clean. Not sure if is worth the effort to fix for me as I don't see oil use or loss over an oil change. Interested in what others think.

2011 2LT
Conehead396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Shade

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
I think a lot of my problems stem from the past 50,000 miles of driving without a catch can. I started noticing I would be a quart down on oil and then found that the PCV system oil consumption issues on these was really bad. I started to get miss fires (not all the time) and a CEL for Catalytic temp issues. The Catch can helped but I was still having less severe oil consumption issues. Long story short I think my Cat's were partially blocked up. I actually got rear ended on the highway about a month ago which ended getting me a whole new exhaust. Upon receiving the car back I've noticed a big improvement in how the engine runs. I'm also curious if the poor exhaust was somehow causing excessive crankcase gases/pressure which may have be contributing to all these oil issues.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:51 AM   #4
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...29900-9999.pdf
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:29 PM   #5
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post

That's good info there.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:30 PM   #6
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
fix here
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote