Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
ISKI

Drives: 4Runner
2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Coupe or Convertible?

I'm new to Camaros and really need help.

I want to get the convertible for daily driving, but also want the coupe for better perforance.

If I get the coupe why not just go for 1LE? Can you really use a 1LE for a daily driver and track?
ISKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
likerage

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I appreciate that you're new to Camaros but this has been beat to death. Search function.
likerage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
chicagosam

Drives: 2017 BLACK ZL1 A10
If you are remotely considering the convertible - get it and don't think about the 1LE.

It'll be a great DD and have plenty of performance.

The 1LE is the track version of the coupe. Sure you can DD it but it wont be as comfortable as the standard ZL1 coupe or vert.

Ive driven all three - I'm not a convertible person and I like my Kidneys (Chicago roads) so I bought the coupe.

My $.02
chicagosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
Coupe for the win��
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Get the coupe with a sun roof. Best of both worlds.

My previous Camaro was a 2013 ZL1 convertible. While I enjoyed driving with the top down, I really missed not having all the performance goodies. My 6th gen ZL1 has the sun roof. Rolling down the windows and opening the roof satisfies my need for that open air experience while still retaining all the performance features. It’s a win-win in my book.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:03 AM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
The coupe is the cheaper of the three.
The convertible costs $5-7k more but you get to enjoy the top down.
For all out performance, there is the ZL1 1LE but it rides a bit harsh on city streets and costs even more(that's assuming you were talking about the ZL1 1LE).
If you're referring to a SS 1LE, then the price drops, it handle the road courses great, and makes a great DD, but it'll have less performance than the ZL1.

It all depends on what your performance goals are and how deep the pocket book is.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
My take on choosing between trims as a vert owner...
  • 1LE - This is for track use, not a DD car. An un-fun cruiser. If you want to crush $250,000+ supercars at the track at 1/4 the price, this is for you. For DD street use the 1LE is a nope. It looks great but rides like the race car track weapon that it is.
  • Coupe - can be tracked or DD. The coupe is an excellent compromise for both DD and track with PDR and ELSD but also rides well on the street with the magnetic dampers.
    OK for cruising if you can live without the feeling the sun on your skin. Yes you can get the sunroof but it kinda kills the look of the coupe by eliminating the reverse mohawk, and extra weight doesn't help at the track.
  • Vert - not for track use, fine for DD. With the vert you give up the performance data recorder, and it also does not have the ELSD w/PTM. So if you plan to track the car occasionally, you may want to get the coupe. The hands down winner for cruising. Verts are more rare and will hold value longer; starting to appreciate after ~25 years if that matters. Dropping the top at will in the convertible and getting heavy with your right foot is just plain fun. The sound of open NPP exhaust at WOT with the top down can't be beat
For me there was no question about it. Mine is a fair weather weekend car. I go topless all the time and I only put the top up when I park it. If you are going to be 100% on the street and are going to only want a convertible 10% of the time get it ... or you'll regret it.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
ISKI

Smile

Thanks. Do you think you lose much without the ESLD? I’m leaning on the convertible just seems like a blast to drive and has better visibility too!
Old 02-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISKI View Post
Thanks. Do you think you lose much without the ESLD? I’m leaning on the convertible just seems like a blast to drive and has better visibility too!
Without the ESLD there is no performance data recorder or the 5 PTM modes.

Visibility with the top up will be about the same as the coupe. It's only an advantage when the top is down.

Trunk space will also be a consideration. With top down, you'll loose about half of the available space.

Expect more wind and road noise when the top is up. There's also extra maintenance required to keep it in good shape.

Not trying to talk you out of a convertible. I previously owned three 5th gen convertibles (two were SSs and one a ZL1). They're a blast to drive with the top down. Just want to make you aware that there are some downsides to owning one.

For me personally, the 2013 ZL1 was my last convertible. I just feel the disadvantages of owning a convertible for out weigh any pleasure derived from driving with the top down.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #10
ISKI

Cool.

I just need to find a deal on. Convertible manual ZL1.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Get the Coupe.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
ISKI

Eff the coupe. I will never track. My buddy has 1000 HP sand car I can race. I’m going for convertible and cruising on mountain roads.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISKI View Post
Eff the coupe. I will never track. My buddy has 1000 HP sand car I can race. I’m going for convertible and cruising on mountain roads.
Why'd you ask us in the first place?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Why'd you ask us in the first place?

Apparently, so he could respond "efff" to your suggestion of the coupe.

If it matters: I'm one for the coupe w/ sunroof.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote