Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
vaspen

Drives: 2017 l4 blue 6speed
500 whp goal too far of a goal ?

Just as title says is 500 whp a plausible goal ?
Cost vs. Gain
Obviously I'd port and polish the head for that lvl
But what's your thoughts on
1 how to get there
2 what mods you think are nesicary
3 preffibly without w/m injection
4 e85 possibly as a cheat code
vaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
The real question is how much $$$$ you want to spend?
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Well the Evo guys are doing it with 2.0 liters, but like everyone says, it's only money. For sure a built bottom end, probably cams, an appropriately sized turbo like the new and very fancy Garrett G25-660, and of course the usual intake and exhaust and fuel and intercooler and tuning to tie it all together.

What's your budget? I'm not picturing this being successful under $10k.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
vaspen

Well i wana see zzp project car and Allen's numbers before I pull any strings but budget would be maby 6-7
Old 11-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
vaspen

But I don't Beleave anyone's port and polished the heads yet I'm sure that would help alot of things if I know cast molds ..... Like 100 grit sandpaper....lol
And maby stud kit for more boost
Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Hasn't been done, but could be done with a big turbo and supporting mods. Cost will depend on how reliable you want it. Remember...
You can only pick 2
Fast, Cheap, Reliable
I thought a couple ATS guys had made 450whp, which I would consider to be over 500 at the crank...

As far as vaspen's question, you could do it without even porting the head. You NEED rods & pistons, cams (with extra fuel stroke), ZFR turbo, ZZP intercooler, ZL1 LPFP (or so I've heard around here lately). If you don't wanna futz with meth (don't understand why you wouldn't as it's cheaper than any alternative), and don't have enough fuel system headroom with E85, you're going to have to step up to a big boy fuel like VP Import. That way you don't have to deal with the 30% extra fuel system required by E85.

I mean, what's your goal? That's what's most important. If you only want a dyno glory sheet, you could get there this week. If you want a well sorted 500whp daily driver, that's a whole different ball game. Do you wanna drag race it? AutoX it?
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #7
vaspen

I'm looking for whp not crank but I mean 450 is close tho but still lol
I would definitely plan on doing internals next piston/rod/cams/springs/ zfr I would do all that in 1 go
What's all they got about the fuel pump
Its not that I don't wana mess with methonal I just don't wana have to fill up alot of tanks lol
Goal would be a daily that sees the occasional drag via street or strip
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #8
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspen View Post
I'm looking for whp not crank but I mean 450 is close tho but still lol
I would definitely plan on doing internals next piston/rod/cams/springs/ zfr I would do all that in 1 go
What's all they got about the fuel pump
Its not that I don't wana mess with methonal I just don't wana have to fill up alot of tanks lol
Goal would be a daily that sees the occasional drag via street or strip
Oh, duh, I just looked over and noticed you have an M6. Yeah, no chance of getting 500rwhp currently. If you can get a clutch to hold anywhere near that kind of torque (SPEC is probably the only company that could build something for you currently), you'll explosively grenade the transmission. Tremec only rates that transmission for 310lb.-ft.

Has anyone looked into fitting a TR6060? I just did some more research on the Mustang Shelby TR-3160 (same trans used in the LTG cars), and they are able to sneak by the gear box torque issue by running a much numerically smaller 1st gear ratio (3.25 vs. LTG's 4.12). Hopefully clutch manufacturers will make something good for the Shelbys! Realistically, you're going to need to swap to the Shelby TR-3160, or swap to a TR-6060 if at all possible! I'd hate to see someone build an engine with that kind of power to crash it due to the transmission exploding and spewing trans fluid under the car and all over the rear tires. I've seen this happen numerous times at the tracks. Pretty much, most cars that end up in the wall get there due to fluid being spilled on the track.

Honestly, at present, if it were my car, and it was my only form of reliable transportation to work and such, I would not even remotely consider attempting to build a 500whp LTG. Currently the aftermarket hasn't caught up to making that power level reliably. Transmission case in point!

I don't understand what you're trying to say here "What's all they got about the fuel pump"?

You're not going to be filling meth THAT often where it would become a chore. It literally takes 30 seconds to dump another gallon in the cell. If 30 seconds of extra maintenance every other fuel fill up is too much work for you, then you really need to reevaluate your desire for such a highly modified car. They take extra care, and require extra expenses. It's the small extras like that that add up to having a successful, well performing build.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 AM   #9
vaspen

I'm just lazy lol :p but stuff like oil matnence I hop on
I meant what do you mean by zl1 fuel pump
Honestly if I can get internals from a gt350r sweet but the tail shaft is what's beefed up to my knowledge
But aside from that swap the bellhousing and should be peachy lol (dreams) I wouldn't mind ordering the mustang gear ratios. Or seeing if a t56 would fit (what the 6060 and 3160 is based off of
Old 11-08-2017, 02:53 AM   #10
Ashium

Drives: Camaro 2.0t, 300zx TT, LSTT Mustang
If you want 500whp. Just sell your car and just buy a used Zl1 or a maybe a newer SS with a few mods. You will end up spending the same amount of money in mods, and have a car that can handle the power, more reliable, actually have low end power, and feel fast all the time.
Ashium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:47 AM   #11
vaspen

Its passed my mind but insurance is gonna eat me alive got clocked at 133 a few months ago insurance is already gonna jump by 130$ once court is settled
Old 11-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Hasn't been done, but could be done with a big turbo and supporting mods. Cost will depend on how reliable you want it. Remember...
You can only pick 2
Fast, Cheap, Reliable
I think it has been done, but I have no proof yet. You DO NOT WANT TO PORT THE HEAD!
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
I don't believe the gt350 transmission internals will swap into the LTG trans...this has been looked into and although quite similar the gt350 parts/guts are approximately 30% physically larger... (so I've heard/ read; haven't actually cracked either open myself)

I've been looking into it as I also would like a reliable 500ish whp.
The 6060 would be a nice swap but would obviously require some custom work; nice thing is it looks like gm is releasing the ZL1 1LE goodies shortly which includes the spool valve shocks, other suspension and cradle goodies as well as the electronic LSD + axles....tasty
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #14
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post
I think it has been done, but I have no proof yet. You DO NOT WANT TO PORT THE HEAD!
Would you consider/ recommend port matching?

Also are the head castings to thin to port or is it port velocity that is the concern?
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote