#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
trident
No Hope

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Black Coupe, 2017 Z06,
My observation Z06 A8 vs ZL1 A10

Let me preface this with; just my observation and pls keep it civil. With that said drove both cars today and I have a stretch of access road that is never monitored by the authorities and now that both vehicles are past the break in mileage requirement I have been seeing which one performs better and this is not scientific by any means. The Z06 seems to be more responsive, quicker and no lag. The ZL1 seems to lag upon acceleration and shift points compared to the Z06, maybe just the driver, but on the highway and kicking it in to pass the Z06 is very quick and you can hear the blower winding up immediately, whereas the ZL1 seems to lag before the blower winds up. Just an observation. In the Z06 at 80 mph sitting low to the ground it feels much faster, the ZL1 at 80 mph feels like hardly moving. With both cars having Block it sound deadening, the ZL1 is much quieter than the Z06. The ZL1 steering is much quicker and shorter turn radius. The Z06 feels like a large car and in slow turns you get wheel hop, but not in the ZL1. The ZL1 is much more comfortable with better and wider seats with good visibility compared to the Z06. After installing the front camera in the ZL1 it is easy to park without hitting the concrete blocks. With both cars in sport mode the ZL1 is more fun to drive than the Z06. The cockpit in the ZL1 has more room and having a large trunk is a plus. One last point; the ZL1 has parking sensors the Z06 does not. When backing into the garage having the sensors makes it much easier. Overall, I believe the ZL1 is the better of the two even with the lag time. Maybe someone else can comment if they have noticed this as well. (no pictures)
trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
You didn't mention: is the Z an auto or manual? Otherwise, informative. Thanks.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I think it's all relative. To me the a10 feels very quick, but then again I don't have a Z06 to compare it to either.

Do you think the difference could have anything to do with how you drive each car, i.e. the transmissions have learning algorithms. They adapt to the driver so to speak. Just a question, but not questioning your observations!
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
trident
No Hope

Both Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
You didn't mention: is the Z an auto or manual? Otherwise, informative. Thanks.
Reference the adaptation of the transmission; may be the difference, I tend to drive the ZL1 more like a family car most of the time. I am a little more heavy foot with the Z06. I'll make another observation tomorrow. Good point.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
The package choice on the zo6 would also make a difference as well. 1LT is way too bare bones compared to the ZL1 (zl1 is after all a fully loaded SS and then some. It's basically the 3LT of a camaro if that makes sense and 1LE being an on crack zo7). One of the reasons why I chose the 2SS over a C7 z51. I initially were thinking about DDing it but turned into a weekend car which was the ultimate decision maker to get the camaro over the c7 but things change and by no means do I regret it. To me however, Camaro was just a bit easier, dare I say better when it came to DD capability and other factors. Much less attention vs a vette alone is a big factor.

I for one, do appreciate your input when it comes to a comparison between the two. Especially because of the fact that I may have changed my mind about getting a ZL1 and plan on grabbing a zo6. 2 camaros might be too much :P 1 camaro, 1 vette sounds great though
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Could that "lag" you mention be the traction control intervening due to wheel spin?
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Nice comparison, I would luv the opportunity to compare both. But first I need a ZL1 to compare to the Z06. Did the Z06 have the competition seats? I wish they were available in the ZL1.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #8
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Seems like tune n headers could take this to a wonderful level
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
trident
No Hope

Answers

No competition seats in the Z06, although I wish I did. The seats in the Z06 are too narrow for my fat ass(not really) compared to the ZL1 which the seats are much wider and more comfortable. The ZL1 I believe would be a better daily driver and I like the blind side assist in the mirrors absent on the Z06. The ZL1 has the backup cross traffic sensors and the Z06 has nothing. Both vehicles have a HUD and both are very good and instrumentation in both cars are excellent. Both cars have exceptional cooling and the seat cooling is excellent. The Z06 has a louder growl than the ZL1 and the Z06 has a leather steering wheel. I wish the ZL1 wheel was wrapped in leather, just my preference. The trunk in the ZL1 is deep and with the back seat down will accommodate a few 2 x 4's. On the Z06 the lower side flares or whatever they are called are flimsy, don't step on them. ZL1 they are attached much better and big. I'll still say the ZL1 is more fun to drive and I like the quick tight steering. If I bought another it would be red vs the black. The red is a striking color vs the black that makes it look fatter, but sinister.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:28 AM   #10
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trident View Post
No competition seats in the Z06, although I wish I did. The seats in the Z06 are too narrow for my fat ass(not really) compared to the ZL1 which the seats are much wider and more comfortable. The ZL1 I believe would be a better daily driver and I like the blind side assist in the mirrors absent on the Z06. The ZL1 has the backup cross traffic sensors and the Z06 has nothing. Both vehicles have a HUD and both are very good and instrumentation in both cars are excellent. Both cars have exceptional cooling and the seat cooling is excellent. The Z06 has a louder growl than the ZL1 and the Z06 has a leather steering wheel. I wish the ZL1 wheel was wrapped in leather, just my preference. The trunk in the ZL1 is deep and with the back seat down will accommodate a few 2 x 4's. On the Z06 the lower side flares or whatever they are called are flimsy, don't step on them. ZL1 they are attached much better and big. I'll still say the ZL1 is more fun to drive and I like the quick tight steering. If I bought another it would be red vs the black. The red is a striking color vs the black that makes it look fatter, but sinister.
Man, I for one appreciate the unbiased opinions... The fact that you HAVE both, and can really form an opinion (as opposed to those who spit crap without actually being able to spend time in both) is refreshing. I really do like my ZL1, but damn, would nearly be overload to have both! You're in the DFW area... we'll have to meet up at some point. I don't care which one you bring!
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 AM   #11
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Let me preface this with; just my observation and pls keep it civil. With that said drove both cars today and I have a stretch of access road that is never monitored by the authorities and now that both vehicles are past the break in mileage requirement I have been seeing which one performs better and this is not scientific by any means. The Z06 seems to be more responsive, quicker and no lag. The ZL1 seems to lag upon acceleration and shift points compared to the Z06, maybe just the driver, but on the highway and kicking it in to pass the Z06 is very quick and you can hear the blower winding up immediately, whereas the ZL1 seems to lag before the blower winds up. Just an observation. In the Z06 at 80 mph sitting low to the ground it feels much faster, the ZL1 at 80 mph feels like hardly moving. With both cars having Block it sound deadening, the ZL1 is much quieter than the Z06. The ZL1 steering is much quicker and shorter turn radius. The Z06 feels like a large car and in slow turns you get wheel hop, but not in the ZL1. The ZL1 is much more comfortable with better and wider seats with good visibility compared to the Z06. After installing the front camera in the ZL1 it is easy to park without hitting the concrete blocks. With both cars in sport mode the ZL1 is more fun to drive than the Z06. The cockpit in the ZL1 has more room and having a large trunk is a plus. One last point; the ZL1 has parking sensors the Z06 does not. When backing into the garage having the sensors makes it much easier. Overall, I believe the ZL1 is the better of the two even with the lag time. Maybe someone else can comment if they have noticed this as well. (no pictures)
I own both as well my Z06 is 16 Z07 with a A8. I don't see that much improvement with the A10 over the A8 I think the 10 speed was done for gas mileage. They are both excellent transmissions. My Z06 is the better performer between the 2 cars the Z is lighter with a more sophisticated suspension along with more rear tire and sport cup 2's.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
The Z06 seems to be more responsive, quicker and no lag. The ZL1 seems to lag upon acceleration and shift points compared to the Z06, maybe just the driver, but on the highway and kicking it in to pass the Z06 is very quick and you can hear the blower winding up immediately, whereas the ZL1 seems to lag before the blower winds up. Just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
I own both as well my Z06 is 16 Z07 with a A8. I don't see that much improvement with the A10 over the A8 I think the 10 speed was done for gas mileage. They are both excellent transmissions. My Z06 is the better performer between the 2 cars the Z is lighter with a more sophisticated suspension along with more rear tire and sport cup 2's.
Two interesting comments regarding the A10. Could the A10 be just a little bit overhyped? Not trying to start a flame war over transmissions, but we now have two Z06/ZL1 owners who feel the A8 is as good or maybe slightly better than the A10. With all the praise that has been bestowed on the A10, you would think it would significantly out perform the A8. I'm rather shocked to hear otherwise.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #13
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
With all the praise that has been bestowed on the A10, you would think it would significantly out perform the A8. I'm rather shocked to hear otherwise.
I have heard nothing but praise on the A10. I don't know why an A10 would outperform an A8 (what, on a track?). For years Formula racers have had A8's. By virtually all accounts, they are both stellar transmissions.

I think it comes to preference and perception: some will like the Z06 over the Zl1, perhaps for some things, but not others. And the reversal is true as well. While the Z06 shines as a sport/track/race car, most will see it is unfit as a DD, and some will complain about it's lack of comfort and limited visibility. I truly like the new Z06, but I will probably never own one for my own reasons.

At the end of the day, coming from a guy that endured the utter lack of power and technology American cars offered in the last quarter of the 20th century: it is a great time to be a car enthusiast. Not more than five years ago who would have suggested that a lowly Chevrolet, let alone a Camaro, would outperform (power, suspension, drivetrain) the (formerly?) venerable BMW's?

It certainly is refreshing to read personal accounts from owners of either vehicle, as well as from the rare few that own both.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
trident
No Hope

Another comparison

I traded a Bentley for a Mercedes S63, but that is beside the point. Mercedes will send you to a one day course at several tracks across the globe, this comes with the car. I choose COTA. Vehicle used on the track was the GTS. I was so impressed that I traded another car I had for a GTS. GTS developed a problem, Mercedes bought it back, end of that story. Comparing the ZL1 to the GTS, the ZL1 wins hands down. Mercedes actually did me a favor by buying it back which allowed me to buy the ZL1. The GTS is built rock solid and has many of the Mercedes safety features which is a plus, but handling the ZL1 is a better performance car, yea, 150 HP difference, but for the price of the ZL1 it is a winner in all categories. Braking, steering, ride, nav, HUD, seats you name it the ZL1 is far superior except for the safety features. I always said the GTS was overrated and over priced. The price of the GTS was equal to the price of the ZL1 and Z06.