Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I doubt the 6th Gen will be any different than the 5th Gen when it comes to AFM. I know what you mean. It really sucks paying for the V8 when most of the time, the damn thing is chugging along in 4-cylinder mode. Lame. Unfortunately, even the new Corvette Stingray will have AFM. Here's the real kicker. I read it won't be on the new Chevy SS. The SS is more of a 4-door family car. A perfect candidate for AFM. Some bonehead at GM decides not to put it on there, but instead, let's put it on a high-performance car.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of AFM.
SS is going to be super low volume. Camaro is not a low volume car. Either accept AFM or pay gas guzzler tax on a vehicle a lot of people already complain about being expensive.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
SS is going to be super low volume. Camaro is not a low volume car. Either accept AFM or pay gas guzzler tax on a vehicle a lot of people already complain about being expensive.
What qualifies a vehicle for a gas guzzler tax? The EPA ratings on my V6 Jeep are actually worse than my V8 Camaro, and there isn't a GG tax on that. I know this all boils down to BS govt. regulations, but man, you'd think they'd find some way around it. There's nothing sadder than putting a big 6L engine in a performance car, and then cutting its nuts off with AFM

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
If the Gen 6 does get the LT1, like the Stingray, it will have AFM on the manual and the auto. I suspect Range will sell a lot of those modules. I have one on my Envoy 5.3L until I get the Camaro.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Put it in sport and drive it in manual mode with the paddle shifters. In manual mode AFM will not kick in.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
range v8, works great and the dealer cant detect it. just dont leave it plugged in when u bring it in for service!! lol
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
What qualifies a vehicle for a gas guzzler tax? The EPA ratings on my V6 Jeep are actually worse than my V8 Camaro, and there isn't a GG tax on that. I know this all boils down to BS govt. regulations, but man, you'd think they'd find some way around it. There's nothing sadder than putting a big 6L engine in a performance car, and then cutting its nuts off with AFM
First, trucks are exempt from the GG Tax and your Jeep is a truck.

Second, the car must have a combined EPA rating of 22.5 MPG to avoid the GG Tax. Less than that and it gets progressively worse. I think as high as $7,700. Either way it starts at over $3,000. For a car that is really low volume and arguably is a very premium sedan Chevy probably said ok. But again, I can read the threads 3 years ago on how Chevy was a big fat fail because an SS cost $3,000 more than a Mustang. It's pretty much that simple. The manual transmission car met the threshold. The automatic, as you would expect, got worse mileage. Hence a special engine, the L99.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
carlos@redline-motorsport

Drives: 98 Z28
If I could get my car/truck to run on 2 cyl and get 50+ mpg, I'd do it. Why do you need 8 cyl at a steady slow cruise?
carlos@redline-motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
First, trucks are exempt from the GG Tax and your Jeep is a truck.

Second, the car must have a combined EPA rating of 22.5 MPG to avoid the GG Tax. Less than that and it gets progressively worse. I think as high as $7,700. Either way it starts at over $3,000. For a car that is really low volume and arguably is a very premium sedan Chevy probably said ok. But again, I can read the threads 3 years ago on how Chevy was a big fat fail because an SS cost $3,000 more than a Mustang. It's pretty much that simple. The manual transmission car met the threshold. The automatic, as you would expect, got worse mileage. Hence a special engine, the L99.
Just goes to show how stupid these regulations are. Let's not put a gas guzzler tax on the vehicles that guzzle the most gas e.g. trucks.

Also, the 22.5 number doesn't seem to make sense. According to the stats

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...ro&srchtyp=ymm

The combined MPG for the Camaros looks like this:

V6 - 21
L99 - 14
LS3 - 16

This is interesting....I didn't realize there was such a difference between regular and premium gas. According to the chart, the auto will get 18 combined on regular vs 14 on premium.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument...just saying that you'd think GM could've found another way around this. I don't know, make AFM active only in D and not sport mode, something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos@redline-motorsport View Post
If I could get my car/truck to run on 2 cyl and get 50+ mpg, I'd do it. Why do you need 8 cyl at a steady slow cruise?
What's a joke is, deactivating AFM actually got people better MPGs, so what's the point of it anyway? No one really needs 8 cylinders. My point is, I paid for 8 and I want all 8

Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I'd like to see certified test results where someone got better mileage not anecdotal stories.

AFM isn't 5 mpg better its closer to 1 which for EPA is HUGE. So I am skeptical anyone could see this difference without a very repeatable test.

Also combined MPG is based on EPA highway and city combined. So no way an L99 or LS3 is 14 and 16. Those are barely the city numbers.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #24
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I'd like to see certified test results where someone got better mileage not anecdotal stories.

AFM isn't 5 mpg better its closer to 1 which for EPA is HUGE. So I am skeptical anyone could see this difference without a very repeatable test.

Also combined MPG is based on EPA highway and city combined. So no way an L99 or LS3 is 14 and 16. Those are barely the city numbers.
There is a typo on that site. The 14 and 16 is for the ZL1. Anyway, the real numbers are below. The L99's combined MPG of 19 is a far cry from 22.5, so how is it exempt from GG tax? I'm not searching for the posts, but forum members have done before and after tests and showed that AFM is useless. Oh yeah, except for the crap lifters being known to fail.

Honestly, I don't care what the reasoning is behind it. AFM does not below on a muscle car. End of story.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #25
bigssc
Account Suspended

the OP's thread has officially been jacked! LOL
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #26
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
I have to pull plugs on mine to have AFM, you L99 guys are lucky

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #27
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
I have to pull plugs on mine to have AFM, you L99 guys are lucky
its funny how GM added AFM to the automatics to avoid the gas guzzler tax which is about $1500 but the added cost of the automatic trans is $1500! lol
Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
We can do a custom tune on your SS that will deactivate the AFM.
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote