Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
thok mcbeefstew

Drives: 01 Silverado Z-71 / 2011 Suburban
Question for the Forum Grandmasters.

In all seriousness, why is GM waiting to release the horse power output for the ZL1? I understand that they very well are making final finishing touches on the engine, so the exact number may not be available until the bitter end. However, they must be at this hour, pretty darn close to the final number. I really would like the car to be 600hp. Now, it may be my low sloping Neanderthal forehead, but the difference between 599hp and 600hp, is massive, even though it is insignificant. If my wife allows me (which I think she is giving in just to shut me up), I’m getting this car as soon as I can order it no matter the horse power. But dang, I feel like I’ve run a marathon to get to this hp answer, and I’m getting tired.
@radz and DGthe3, you guys answered all my other questions of the guy who was worried that the next year ZL1 model would come in and crush the first one (he used the z06 example). My other real big worry was the next platform the C6 was going to be on. After hearing reports of only a 150 pound difference, I can go to an all you can eat place for a week and put on 150 pounds if I really wanted to. I appreciate all the information. If anything, all it makes me want to pull the trigger on this car even more.
thok mcbeefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Go ahead and MAKE YOUR DAY , pull the dam trigger !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM has very little to gain right now from making the hp figures public. Letting us know also means letting Ford know. And since both the ZL1 and the GT500 are expected to be 570ish this January, I don't expect either of them to release the details until the last second. It is no coincidence that the LS3 SS is rated at 426 hp, when the SRT8 Challenger was 425. Ford did the same thing with the 2011 V6 Mustang, rating it at 305 s 304 in the 2010 Camaro (though GM stole their thunder by announcing last year that the V6 Camaro really makes 312 hp, not 304). Based on that, and knowing its going to be close ... I fully expect that the details will be released when production begins.

Besides, knowing it in late August probably isn't going to convince anyone to make an appointment with their dealer in a few months from now to order the car. When dealers start taking, not knowing may make people hold off, but there will still be plenty that are willing to place a deposit, happy with the knowledge that it will be at least 556 hp.

Don't expect it to be close to 600 hp. My own personal estimate is 578, but it could be a bit more or a bit less (I'm thinking 570-585). Its possible that it will be ~600 hpbut that would require making changes to the engine itself like upping the boost or compression ratio, changing the cam, etc. If they do that I can't see GM being able to call it an LSA anymore, it would be an LS8 or LSB or something.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
thok mcbeefstew

Drives: 01 Silverado Z-71 / 2011 Suburban
DGthe3 thanks for the info. I would have said thanks sooner but the boat did not pull in until today. And this website is blocked on the ship. Plus the bonus of renting the convertable 2ss auto with the HUD and everything makes this quick port in Hawaii that much better. I must say its extreeeemly nice. But it turns out it makes a person crave the ZL1 with a manual that much more.
thok mcbeefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
My guess is 570. I agree the reason for holdback is the advertizing game of who has more hp. The winners in this game of pride is us the enthusiast..yay more hp
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
kudzu74
Account Suspended

Drives: SS 08' Trailblazer
Okay, an amature opinion...if SLP who was involved with the 4th gen. SS production has out a SLP SCSS now with auto and manual its fair to say the HP will probably be reflective of the current run of SLP SCSSs...not the ZL1s that SLP is doing a limited run of currently with GM's permission but the regular 250auto/250manual run they are doing...check out the website. I think its safe to say GM will keep it significantly lower than a reasonably competative corvette to keep the corvette the dominate inhouse prodigy. But that should give you a good guestimate, and I predict it will definitely be over the rating of the CTS-V8. I would like to start a contest to see who can guest what the final number would be for the ZL1 in HP. I would say the following for each: 590hp manual and 575hp auto. Would be nice don't you think?

Last edited by kudzu74; 09-03-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: grammar LMAO
kudzu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
I hope they don't play that HP game with the auto and manual, make both the same at the crank.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I hope they don't play that HP game with the auto and manual, make both the same at the crank.
considering GM most likely wont be developing a separate engine for the auto (like the L99 vs LS3), the crank power should be the same between auto and manual with M6 putting a little more out the back.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote