Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #365
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
I am back

I have been gone for a while. More than one year. I am happy that I have helled off on placing an order. I love what the Z28 might look like. I am hopping the car will be under $60,000.00. But it is, what it is. I have traded in my truck for a Ford F-150 SVT Raptor. Now don't linch me for that I test drove several trucks and for me that was the right choice. I did get to test drive two Camaro SS modles. One stick and one auto and did not like them. I wanted more pwr when comming out of turnes. So IMO the Z28 will be the food that tames the BEAST.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #366
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
So if the LSA is the engine of choice here, can we expect a different cam to liven up the engine some more and push it beyond the GT-500?
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #367
jayman

Drives: 09 dodge ram
its already past the gt500 as far as power goes. we just have to wait and see how the final product performs. but if you want you can buy a kit from lingenfelter which gives you a pulley and tune to make the lsa in the cts-v make around 660hp...kit should be the same for a z/28 if it gets the lsa
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #368
YouEnvyMySS

Drives: 85½ Porsche 944; 2002 Ford Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED10LS View Post
I bet the new Z28 will sell for at least if not more than $50,000.00.
Considering the SLP575 package (IMHO similar to what we know of the "Z" thus far) sells well into the $60k range, I'm guessing the Z-28 will be all of that and likely more.

YouEnvyMySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #369
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouEnvyMySS View Post
Considering the SLP575 package (IMHO similar to what we know of the "Z" thus far) sells well into the $60k range, I'm guessing the Z-28 will be all of that and likely more.
and you forget how many slp575 camaro's vs z28's will be. slp has to offset their R&D with far fewer cars. also any aftermarket car mod costs more then a production version.

it will be in line with the gt500.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #370
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
and you forget how many slp575 camaro's vs z28's will be. slp has to offset their R&D with far fewer cars. also any aftermarket car mod costs more then a production version.

it will be in line with the gt500.
I went to the Ford dealer today and played with a GT500 w/ SVTPP... very tempting. VERY tempting.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #371
thok mcbeefstew

Drives: 01 Silverado Z-71 / 2011 Suburban
I think most of the guys on this site overstate what the potential price of the z28 is going to be, because of how long they have been waiting for 1. Please do not get me wrong, I’m not trying to start a fight, but a brand new 2011 Corvette coupe is $48,950 right off chevy’s website. That car, will “smoke check” the GT500. So, if you really want to beat the GT500 buy a vette.

I say that jokingly because I would rather have a z28 as well, but not 5 grand more of a want. I posted this before on a different thread, So, I’ve got to back up Nards when I think it will be mid 40K’s Max.

Gents, here is why the z28 will be able to be bought for under 45K (if you can hold yourself to it). If you went and got the base model 1SS car, it ran right around 31K(before Taxes and fees). That is without upgrading anything like the stereo or doing anything special like the RS package or anything. So, if you were looking to buy a Base Model Z28, it could be safe to assume, that the car would cost GM about the same price to build except for the few special upgrades
i.e.
1 engine (which is pretty much already built, so there is no R&D cost, maybe just a slight tune to push closer to 600hp) + say $7000 over current LS3.
2 suspension, + $1500 more than current suspension if it is super Gucci compared to what is in the camaro now.
3 tires, + $1000 more than what is on there now for just bigger and badder.
4 brakes add another $1000.
5 now add $3000 more for a few things that I have not thought of because I don’t know much about cars. So that would add up to 44.5 or 45K.
These are obviously just rough guesses on my part, but if you’re not going for leather seats and all the other things that jack up the price on one of these cars pretty quickly, I would think you can get it for cheaper than you think.
Let’s not forget that this is the CAMARO5 website, so most people on here that could, would pull the trigger on buying a new Z28. GM is looking to grab a lot more people than that. If it is past 50K, I’ve got a feeling that a lot of the general public that is thinking muscle car, would end up going to the corvette if they are GM fans. I don’t know who said it before on this sight, but they made a great point of saying that Ford does not have Corvette competitor, so that is why the GT500 gets up there in price more.
Sorry for being so long winded, but I really don’t want this car to be over 45K because I really want it. Also, if I’m way off on anything please correct me. Thanks.
thok mcbeefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #372
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thok mcbeefstew View Post
I think most of the guys on this site overstate what the potential price of the z28 is going to be, because of how long they have been waiting for 1. Please do not get me wrong, I’m not trying to start a fight, but a brand new 2011 Corvette coupe is $48,950 right off chevy’s website. That car, will “smoke check” the GT500. So, if you really want to beat the GT500 buy a vette.

I say that jokingly because I would rather have a z28 as well, but not 5 grand more of a want. I posted this before on a different thread, So, I’ve got to back up Nards when I think it will be mid 40K’s Max.

Gents, here is why the z28 will be able to be bought for under 45K (if you can hold yourself to it). If you went and got the base model 1SS car, it ran right around 31K(before Taxes and fees). That is without upgrading anything like the stereo or doing anything special like the RS package or anything. So, if you were looking to buy a Base Model Z28, it could be safe to assume, that the car would cost GM about the same price to build except for the few special upgrades
i.e.
1 engine (which is pretty much already built, so there is no R&D cost, maybe just a slight tune to push closer to 600hp) + say $7000 over current LS3.
2 suspension, + $1500 more than current suspension if it is super Gucci compared to what is in the camaro now.
3 tires, + $1000 more than what is on there now for just bigger and badder.
4 brakes add another $1000.
5 now add $3000 more for a few things that I have not thought of because I don’t know much about cars. So that would add up to 44.5 or 45K.
These are obviously just rough guesses on my part, but if you’re not going for leather seats and all the other things that jack up the price on one of these cars pretty quickly, I would think you can get it for cheaper than you think.
Let’s not forget that this is the CAMARO5 website, so most people on here that could, would pull the trigger on buying a new Z28. GM is looking to grab a lot more people than that. If it is past 50K, I’ve got a feeling that a lot of the general public that is thinking muscle car, would end up going to the corvette if they are GM fans. I don’t know who said it before on this sight, but they made a great point of saying that Ford does not have Corvette competitor, so that is why the GT500 gets up there in price more.
Sorry for being so long winded, but I really don’t want this car to be over 45K because I really want it. Also, if I’m way off on anything please correct me. Thanks.
The Z28 will come in right around $48K and it will come with a lot of standard features. I will not be as "stripped" as a Base Corvette. It will be feature comparable to the GT500.

Your logic about buying a corvette instead is weak because the corvette is not a car for everyone. It has a lot of compromises that may make it less practical as a daily driver.

By your logic there is no need to make a CTS-V because you can get a Vette for less.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #373
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by thok mcbeefstew View Post
A base vette will *not* smoke a GT500.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #374
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
Once again... they arent meant to be high volume.
exactly why they are a non-factor in the Macro view. Even if ford netted every penny on the 50k car thats 275 million, vs selling 100k camaros for an average cost of all models at 29k for a total of 2.9 billion. Really you ask 9 out of ten people what cars come to mind that Mustang(GT), Corvette, Camaro. Doubt you will hear the 500. Ecomomics drives business. Ford has done the 500 to try to have something to compare to the vette and sorry vette has that market covered even viper doesnt hold a candle. Look at history of car production, cars were not all ways produced or pulled from production because of people thought they were fast or because it could beat another car, its because the money behind it.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #375
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhra stocker View Post
We need to sign up the Camaro for Weight Watchers!
This is why the next gen Camaro will be smaller and lighter.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #376
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Edmunds.com seems to feel pretty strongly about this car coming to market with a supercharger at about $50k

Last edited by drtwo; 08-08-2010 at 10:27 AM.
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #377
SuperFly03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
exactly why they are a non-factor in the Macro view. Even if ford netted every penny on the 50k car thats 275 million, vs selling 100k camaros for an average cost of all models at 29k for a total of 2.9 billion. Really you ask 9 out of ten people what cars come to mind that Mustang(GT), Corvette, Camaro. Doubt you will hear the 500. Ecomomics drives business. Ford has done the 500 to try to have something to compare to the vette and sorry vette has that market covered even viper doesnt hold a candle. Look at history of car production, cars were not all ways produced or pulled from production because of people thought they were fast or because it could beat another car, its because the money behind it.
You can't cross shop a Vette and a GT500. They are two entirely different cars built for two entirely different markets. One is a pony car in a 2+2 factor that is built to be a monster at the drag strip and track performance is second. The Vette is a 2 seater designed to be a track car and take on high end imports.

I can use a GT500 as a daily driver because I can get 4 people to lunch as needed but I couldn't ever use a Vette as a DD. I'm not everyone but it's one example of why they aren't comparable.

Also, you can't compare revenue numbers that isn't how much Ford makes on these cars. Look at gross profit. I'd rather not get into the details of cost accounting but lets just say there is a few concepts that come into play: marginal cost, production capacity constraints, and others.

So yes Mustangs/GT's contribute more to Ford's top line in aggregate but I guarantee you the GT500 contributes more to gross profit per unit than the GT or V6 edition.

This entire argument applies the ZR1, GT500, Z28, GT-R, etc.

Previous Car:
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #378
SuperFly03

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
Edmunds.com seems to feel pretty strongly about this car coming to market with a supercharger at about $50k
Yeah. That feels about right. Optioned out GT500 is $56k so assuming there is no "trak pack" and "nav" package the $50k puts it in dead heat with the base GT500.

Previous Car: