Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #1
CarlinKaty

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS
2010 LT RS, stalling issues traced to ECM

Hi - I've got a 2010 Camaro LT RS auto (VIN 2G1FC1EV2A9XXXXXX), about 80,000 original miles. The vehicle will stall at random when it is at operating temperature. My trusted local shops have verified the issue. Replaced battery, MAF, crank position sensor, oil pressure sensor. Final verdict from the second shop, where the first shop sent me because they have better diagnostic computers, is I need a new ECM. But their is no ECM available and they have looked. Is there any place that sells re-manufactured ECM for these cars? I can't believe my only choice is to sell it for parts. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
CarlinKaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 02:42 AM   #2
ajg85

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS
Not sure how verified the issue is if they replaced a bunch of parts and now recommend a new ECM. Sounds like they have not narrowed down the exact problem unless you got multiple cascading failures which would be a shame as 5th gen camaros are built like tanks. There are a handful of things that can stall your engine with an automatic transmission but most of them have to do with air and fuel flow.

Is it throwing codes?
How frequent is the random stall?
Does it only stall at idle, in motion, or both?
Any rough idling vibrations when stopped at red lights?
Did they load check the battery to see if the alternator is keeping up?
Decent mechanic should know all the things to look for ...

My LLT lost engine power while driving and stalled out but after I pulled over and stopped it fired right back up again and seemed fine with no codes or anything. When it did it again about a week later I knew it was not fine and the ECM was just not telling me why. So I started taking stuff apart. In my case I discovered the throttle body was so filthy the throttle plate was probably getting stuck and not letting in enough air. Ultimately all I needed to do was thoroughly clean the throttle body and go through the MAF tuning procedure to reset throttle control. Never happened again. That said, every car is different and it could be the ECM but I would check all the cheaper easier options first! My "repair" cost about $20 for a can of cleaner but maybe I got lucky?
'02 Red Camaro Z28: "Chimero"
'01 Gold Camaro: "Goldie"
'98 Black Firebird: "Blackhawk"
Yes, I name cars, but they don't seem to mind.
ajg85 is offline   Reply With Quote