Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Absolutely correct. The 5.5 Gen Camaro (or the 6th Gen to some ), is simply an evolution of the our 5th Gen cars. Look at every subsequent generation of Camaro besides the 6th Gen. They were all a complete departure from the prior generation. I believe without a doubt, GM thought they did such a great job with the 5th Gen, why change much? Simply make the 5th Gen again, with some tweaks to make it "better" (subjective). The lagging sales of the new Camaros are a testament to their mistake. Now, before I get jumped, I actually like the new car. I was about to pull the trigger on a new ZL1 over the summer before I decided to cam my current car. The blunder was made when GM simply decided to rehash the 5th Gen. People like new products and the 6th Gen just hasn't grabbed the attention like the 5th Gen. Well, that and its astronomical price increase. My car stickered for ~$41k. The same car now stickers for ~$53k.
I think of it as the BMW-ing of the auto industry (and I'm not a fan). Instead of coming up with risky new ideas, they just poke and twist little things, give it new bells and whistles and call it a new generation. As you point out, that goes against what the Camaro/Firebird were.

While some may say, "well, the 5th gen is a rip-off of the 1st gen"... The 5th gen was the rebirth... and giving homage to the Camaro that started it all is not the same thing as just rehashing the design. The 5th gen was designed by a true artist. While the 6th gen looks like someone tried to recreate the original piece of art but through a futuristic perspective. I suppose it works for some, but not for me.

It was easy to predict the slump in sales... I said it as soon as I saw the new 6th gen and its crazy price. Just like the rehashed design, this isn't what the Camaro was known for (being expensive). The 5th gen was pretty expensive, but it pulled it off because of what it was, the 2nd coming, and the pent-up desire that came with it. The 6th gen may be worth its price, or even more... but it's not "new" enough to spend even more money on. (and there is no more pent-up desire.)

Maybe GM would have been better off not bringing back the Camaro name and just starting fresh. Because from here on, I don't think I'm going to like what I see. Just my (biased) opinion.

[back on topic]

It would be nice to see the homepage change once in a while, but it doesn't really matter to me... I always come straight to the forums anyway. If there is news, you'll find it in the forums.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #16
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Why are there so many 6th gen owners, corvette owners and others introducing themselves and participating on CAMARO5 anyway? I mean, they’re welcome of course, but me personally, I’m not on a Volkswagen, or Jeep Wrangler page showing off my Camaro. It’s like they’re trying to rub it in our faces or something. Camaro6 is right there.... you’re already registered!

Don’t confuse this with butthurt, merely curiosity. I honestly don’t care.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Why are there so many 6th gen owners, corvette owners and others introducing themselves and participating on CAMARO5 anyway? I mean, they’re welcome of course, but me personally, I’m not on a Volkswagen, or Jeep Wrangler page showing off my Camaro. It’s like they’re trying to rub it in our faces or something. Camaro6 is right there.... you’re already registered!

Speaking for myself, I moved 500 miles away from my closest family but i still go visit them once in a while. Plus, as mentioned above, I've been in 2 5th gens, modded both, so I try lend some suggestions when I can.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #18
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Wait, what? The 6th Gen is on a completely different platform, right? Different measurements inside and out! May look similar\evolution, but really isn't that much in common short of maybe the engine displacement!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #19
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
Wait, what? The 6th Gen is on a completely different platform, right? Different measurements inside and out! May look similar\evolution, but really isn't that much in common short of maybe the engine displacement!
Put each generation of Camaro side by side, starting with the 1st Gen and ending with the 6th Gen. Each subsequent generation after the 1st was a complete departure from the previous, except for the 6th Gen. It is simply an evolution of the 5th Gen. Similar design, similar size, similar shape, etc..

The 2nd Gen looks nothing like the 1st. The 3rd looks nothing like the 2nd. The 4th looks nothing like the 3rd. The 5th looks nothing like the 4th. The 6th looks unquestionably similar to the 5th. Again, it is an evolution of the '10-'15 models and based on sales, the consumer isn't too impressed.

Also, as I previously stated, I hold no ill will towards the new car. It seems as if the majority of pony car consumers are doing that themselves based solely on purchases...or lack thereof.

I'm excited to see what the 7th Gen holds for us.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #20
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Why is there a link to camaro6.com on the camaro5 website. There's no link to Camaro5 on the Camaro6 site?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #21
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Ya but dont dare go to camaro 6 and stand up for your 5th gen when some of those guys start to bash it......you will get banned.
Take his advice. It is coming from first hand experience. LOL.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Put each generation of Camaro side by side, starting with the 1st Gen and ending with the 6th Gen. Each subsequent generation after the 1st was a complete departure from the previous, except for the 6th Gen. It is simply an evolution of the 5th Gen. Similar design, similar size, similar shape, etc..

The 2nd Gen looks nothing like the 1st. The 3rd looks nothing like the 2nd. The 4th looks nothing like the 3rd. The 5th looks nothing like the 4th. The 6th looks unquestionably similar to the 5th. Again, it is an evolution of the '10-'15 models and based on sales, the consumer isn't too impressed.
"Generations" are not about appearance; what they are about is the basic platform. The 6th gen is 'alpha platform' while the 5th gen is 'zeta-platform'. There's at least as much similarity between the chassis of the 1st and 2nd gen cars as there is between the 5th and 6th.

Among the changes from the 5th, I think there was about a 2" shortening of the wheelbase, which is not a minor difference even though much of the work was done to suit Cadillac (rather than Holden).

Norm
Old 12-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #23
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Also, as I previously stated, I hold no ill will towards the new car. It seems as if the majority of pony car consumers are doing that themselves based solely on purchases...or lack thereof.
The Camaro isn't the only latest-gen car that's on the receiving end of what sounds like a significant amount of adverse commentary.

Cornerspeed92 - none of my car forum bookmarks go to a site home page. Maybe I'm poorer for that, maybe not.

Norm
Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #24
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Take his advice. It is coming from first hand experience. LOL.
Haha...them guys still wont let me in .
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #25
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post

meh.ive been known to lurk and post on camaro 6.havent had any problems over there.some of them probably came here as gen 5 owners,moved on and still like to visit.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #26
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

“Hi everybody. I used to drive a Camero, but here’s my new car. Just wanted to say hi and see if I could offer some advice.”

Name:  D878EA7F-C7D9-4AF5-8E15-3774CE0F5334.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  31.8 KB
Old 12-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #27
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
which would probably be to buy a beach house or retire instead of wasting ones money on an exotic?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #28
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
which would probably be to buy a beach house or retire instead of wasting ones money on an exotic?
Damn right skippy!