Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #15
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I added the ZL1addons wicker bill since the idea was to compensate the added grip up front (due to 10.5 wheels and 305 tires and wider track) by adding more grip in the rear. However, I also added 325s in the rear with even wider track than the stock (my Apex wheels move the rears about 18mm further out) so there's a good chance that the rear traction might be a bit overkill in my case and responsible for some of the understeer.

TBH, I am not sure if wicker bill creates enough down force to keep the car's balance and if it does the advantage of the added downforce is enough to overcome the disadvantage of drag.

I decided to to some A/B testing on the upcoming event this Wednesday and will post what I will find. These sort of things are very hard to quantify but if I ever notice a drastic drop on my trap speed I will go ahead and remove the wicker bill. Sure it looks great but I am not concerned about the looks that much as car already looks great. The only cosmetic mod I did on the car was GM dark tail lamps and if I had a Dark Grey or Black car I wouldn't even bother
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #16
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
haha thanks guys and i wouldnt be adding it for looks just for track use...i sometimes laugh at all the things people do to cars like big wings and fender flares and non functional splitters

if anything i would be looking at a front splitter or maybe dive planes/canards but that makes sense that you would need a wing on the back to even it out i just dont want to be throwing $$$ and parts on the car if they didnt do anything or couldnt prove they do anything
Old 06-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
glamcem

Let's not forget this test though Then again, it may be more beneficial for SQ setup tires than the staggered
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...-track-retest/
Old 06-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #18
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
hmm that is an interesting read! too bad i only have the ss wing on my camaro and not the fancy acs one that you can add the wicker bill to :(
1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #19
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Let's not forget this test though Then again, it may be more beneficial for SQ setup tires than the staggered
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...-track-retest/
The part that always gets me is this:

Quote:
A new set of tires (he’d burned off the previous set during the last test), a double-check of the alignment, and oh yeah, that little wickerbill now bolted to the spoiler.
New tires can make quite a big difference too! But it's Randy Pobst so I'll take his word for it. I struggle the most on corner exit on this car and being able to put the power down so maybe there is something to it.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #20
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
The part that always gets me is this:

New tires can make quite a big difference too! But it's Randy Pobst so I'll take his word for it. I struggle the most on corner exit on this car and being able to put the power down so maybe there is something to it.
Have you tried trailing arms? The 1LE trailing arms allow me to put down a lot more power out of the turn than the SS trailing arms do.

OP - Looks like you've come around on the aero. These cars are windtunnel tested for fuel economy/drag coefficient purposes and I would be surprised if a car on street tires would be able to run into aero limitations on most tracks. I could be wrong, YMMV, but it would surprise me on the SS and above.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
"Everything affects everything else".

If it didn't, we'd probably have all the best answers already . . . and this whole business of making cars get around the track better and faster wouldn't be as challenging or as much fun.

Norm
Old 06-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #22
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Well, Randy complained it was lose before so it made sense to tighten it up with more aero in the R. Are 1LEs lose? I haven't had mine on a track yet, but from everything I've read the car is superbly balanced and goes where pointed. In which case adding aero will disrupt this balance.
Z/28 also has a different suspension. It is much stiffer so perhaps 1LE "might" offer more mechanical grip. Just a guess here as I clearly need to drive it myself first
Cem, your wheels give you a wider R track which will induce understeer. So will a bigger R spoiler.
In a couple of your posts you mentioned "understeer". Who knows, but that might be your answer.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #23
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
personally I cay learn the car and its limits before adding parts. That said I think a front splitter would be the easiest and cheapest part to add.

does this still apply after Ferrari's showing at lemans last year against the new aerodynamically blessed ford GT's with their smaller displacement engines?

in all seriousness though, the splitters if I remember right...and rear spoiler were wind tunnel tested.

going more extreme overall.... theres a lot of stuff out there, but so far, time and money being the limiter on it.... GM is one of the few windtunnel testing their stuff for aero...

I may be wrong, but all the documentaries on the 6th gen state the parts for the 1le, and zl1...all aero tested, and actually have numbers of what they produced.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #24
TrackClub

1LE has more aero than a NASCAR Cup car

Ford GT won cause they sand bagged during practice which caused all other margues to get slapped with BOP penalties, effectively taking them out of the race. NB the Ferrari came very close to winning. And the history is about to repeat itself as Ford GT was the slowest in practice again this week which meant the C7R got slapped with BOP penalty, albeit not as big as last year. BTW sand bagging is cheating in my book...
Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 AM   #25
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well, Randy complained it was lose before so it made sense to tighten it up with more aero in the R. Are 1LEs lose? I haven't had mine on a track yet, but from everything I've read the car is superbly balanced and goes where pointed. In which case adding aero will disrupt this balance.
Z/28 also has a different suspension. It is much stiffer so perhaps 1LE "might" offer more mechanical grip. Just a guess here as I clearly need to drive it myself first
Cem, your wheels give you a wider R track which will induce understeer. So will a bigger R spoiler.
In a couple of your posts you mentioned "understeer". Who knows, but that might be your answer.
I thought about that too but I have to say it's more apparent on sharper turns where I don't carry as much speed so not sure the effectiveness of that wicker bill or if there's any. Like I said, I think the A/B test will give me a better idea I will compare sector times and see what I can find. I doubt that the difference will be much but doesn't hurt to try

Here in PNW the track conditions are somewhat more consistent except the very hot days (90F+ degrees) that are very uncommon and NT01s is also consistent
Old 06-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #26
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ford GT won cause they sand bagged during practice which caused all other margues to get slapped with BOP penalties, effectively taking them out of the race. NB the Ferrari came very close to winning. And the history is about to repeat itself as Ford GT was the slowest in practice again this week which meant the C7R got slapped with BOP penalty, albeit not as big as last year. BTW sand bagging is cheating in my book...
I don't see it that way at all.

There's nothing wrong with not showing the opposition all of what your car can do ahead of time. It's up to the other teams to bring the best they can to the race without regard to what you're bringing as long as everything being brought (by everybody) is technically class-legal.

Now if there's any effort by the sanctioning body to "equalize performance" based on practice times, that's an artifact that at best is getting exactly what it deserves, with Ford apparently doing a better job of playing the rule than the rest (you do have to figure that everybody with much chance of a podium finish is doing this to some extent). I suppose the sanctioning body itself could be using any means available to 'rig' the results for some reason, which would be a far worse scenario, ethically.

Norm
Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #27
TrackClub

Well, the BOP adjustments are actually based on official practice times. And that's exactly what happened. Even media picked up on it right away as Ford GT went from the slowest in practice to fastest in quali after GM and Porsche got slapped with restrictions. IMO it was rigged to provide for the same result as 50 yrs prior to celebrate Ford's iconic spanking of Ferrari. Bottom line: I don't like BOP rules. IMO they are artificial and keep changing competitive edge of cars from race to race. Rules should be locked and left for a season, just like NASCAR does it vs having BOP "equalizing" the field artificially and in effect penalizing the teams that have found more pace within the rules.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #28
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
does this still apply after Ferrari's showing at lemans last year against the new aerodynamically blessed ford GT's with their smaller displacement engines?.
touche

hah maybe back then it applied... now not so mucj
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote