Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Track Downforce??

so does anybody care other than me to increase there on track downforce? maybe start with functional front splitter? the hard part is how do you know what would be functional or not

i have seen a few companies out there with something but anybody have any testing on any of them? also do those canards or wickerbill add ons do anything?

also btw i know once the zl1 1le everybody and there mom will be riding around with that wing on there car lol
Old 06-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
This is just my opinion and others may disagree, but until you start going light weight, full race suspension, and slicks, big aero won't make any appreciable difference on our car because you won't be going fast enough in the corners to generate enough downforce. And any downforce you do generate will be on the straights and will just slow you down. I'm definitely open to hear other people's thoughts though. Our cars are already pretty flat underneath I believe. Maybe some dive planes? I could be wrong but it sure doesn't seem like my corner speeds are enough on street tires and full weight to justify it. I'm definitely open to hearing others opinion though because more downforce would be nice.

Last edited by Eric SS; 06-14-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
TheMaGikDucK

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
This is just my opinion and others may disagree, but until you start going light weight, full race suspension, and slicks, big aero won't make any appreciable difference on our car because you won't be going fast enough in the corners to generate enough downforce. And any downforce you do generate will be on the straights and will just slow you down. I'm definitely open to hear other people's thoughts though. Our cars are already pretty flat underneath I believe. Maybe some dive planes? I could be wrong but it sure doesn't seem like my corner speeds are enough on street tires and full weight to justify it. I'm definitely open to hearing others opinion though because more downforce would be nice.
Ehh, I think it would help. Ive driven much slower cars (miatas, s2ks) back to back with and without aero and the difference is noticable. Compared to just a few years ago, your top of the line 200TW tires are very, very serious tires.

The GM front splitter was designed at least in part in a wind tunnel according to GM.

Wicker Bill maybe, but I doubt it would do any more than the stock SS wing. Canards help, I dont truly know how much though.

My plan is to eventually go with 1LE suspension upgrade, replace some of the bushings in the front to help with deflection, rear ZL1 1LE wing, a front splitter (Im gonna wait for APR to make something), and dive planes, in that order (I already have ZL1 replical lip and skirts).

However I am in no Hurry, and am just enjoying flogging a reliable and warrantied car. Personally, if you are not an experienced driver and always in an expert group, you shouldnt be looking for aero yet (If you goal is to develop).
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
I don't see the stock SS spoiler do anything other than look pretty. I may be wrong. Wicker bill has to add more down force I would think. The ZL1 splitter and replicas have caused some interest and seems to add front end down force from what I'm hearing. Even at street speed
Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many things you can do to become a faster driver before even thinking about aero.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many things you can do to become a faster driver before even thinking about aero.
Words of wisdom these. And if you just start adding "stuff" you'll disrupt F/R balance and make a car understeer or oversteer more. These cars have superb mechanical grip. Have fun and save your $. Unless the purpose is to look cool, of course
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
BowtieRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Unless the purpose is to look cool, of course
Well there IS always that!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
personally I cay learn the car and its limits before adding parts. That said I think a front splitter would be the easiest and cheapest part to add.

#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
TrackClub

Perhaps. And it would make the R lighter. Adding F splitter without balancing the R is a "no no". If you track your car that is.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
if you just start adding "stuff" you'll disrupt F/R balance and make a car understeer or oversteer more.
This ↑↑↑ . Even if you don't get all the way into 'downforce' at either end, uneven reductions in lift would amount to the same thing. Small changes you could probably get away with doing.

Especially if you go at it with a "more's better" attitude. A car that becomes aerodynamically 'loose' would be scary, aerodynamically 'tight' perhaps frustrating. The original (huge) splitter on Vorshlag's red 5.0 Mustang (that eventually set all kinds of TT lap records a few years back) made that car horribly aero-loose.

Norm
Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
+1

Driver upgrades are the best way to get faster around the track. If you are fast enough and can balance the car well enough, then an upgrade to slicks can help a great deal. Down side is the lack of warning before they let go.

If you run on a track that has a long straight stretch, then more down force may be self-defeating.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
TrackClub

I'd also add (to Norm's comments) that aero develops drag. Drag means slower speeds on straights. To get a benefit of aero firstly it has to have a proper BALANCE, secondly, a driver needs to be sufficiently skilled to go FASTER in fast corners (where aero works its magic).
There are folks that add wickers etc to the rear than wonder why the car understeers. So they spend more $ friggin with sways, or shocks, rake, etc. Like Norm said: NEVER change aero on one end ONLY as it will immediately change the car's designed balance.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
BowtieRocket

Solutions to understeer and oversteer
See 5:23 of video below
https://youtu.be/EwmDdMzzDjY
Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
Solutions to understeer and oversteer
See 5:23 of video below
https://youtu.be/EwmDdMzzDjY
Yes, exactly my point!