Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
drew.87

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
AFE or BMR Springs

Hey Guys,
So I am thinking about lowering my 17 1LE. Little tired of the wheel gap.
I have done a good amount of searching but wanted to see if anyone had some good comparison for these two springs. They seem to be the best to options for our cars. I want to make sure I am not going to mess up the MRC and ride. Any input would be great!
drew.87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
mggeyer

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss 1le
Be very mindful that any change to ride height ( spring rates) will have an effect on how the Gm engineers designed this suspension to work. I completely understand the desire to do this as I have put coilovers on my Corvettes both race car and street car. I am so impressed with the 1LE you couldnt get me to do anything that would effect the way this car handles. It is impeccable. I wish you the best but hoping for results rather than testing can sometimes be a very slippery slope. Good Luck!
mggeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
You dont want to mess anything up? Leave it stock. This car is dialed in from the factory. Going away from that kills the whole point of why you bought a 1LE... unless you just liked the cosmetic stuff. You dont ever plan on taking it to the track or pushing the car to its limits, then go BMR. They have served me well in the past..

Or..

Hold out a little while and see if the DSSV is offered as a replacement on our cars. You can go lower, much lower with them.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have the afe power ones but im only a 1ss i agree with nick if i had a 1le i wouldnt change anything with the suspension only upgrade to lighter wheels and better stickier tires
Old 06-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
I'm not sure what the AFE or BMR spring rates are, but I would want to know prior to installing. It appears the 1LE springs are stiffer than many aftermarket options which if replaced with softer springs would degrade the handling. Check this thread for spring rate info.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475647

I would also add it seems odd that neither AFE or BMR list spring rates in their product descriptions. A performance spring should include spring rate information.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Guys I know people with Z06, Zl1, Lambos that lower their cars with great results. 1LE is a great track car yes but it's not a 500k exotic track monster.

I couldn't live with the wheel gap myself.. BMR & AFE are great companies and just know that AFE drops the car slightly lower than BMR.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
slick3

Until the spring rates of the 1LE are published, we dont know if either option is a suitable replacement for the stock springs. The damper/spring package and MRC are tuned by GM. They forgot more than any of us think we know. Linear, progressive etc etc will all have a cause and effect. Again, If you just want a lower stance and do not plan on getting serious with the car I say go for it just keep in mind your MIGHT have adverse effects when tracking the car at the advertised limit. PTM/ lap times, mid corner stability, bump stear etc. I cant confirm because I havent swapped springs Im just making you aware of the POSSIBLE risks associated with such to help you make a more informed decision.

Ask yourself what your goals are with the car and make your decision based off that. All we can do on the forums is help arm each other with knowledge to help them make the right decision for their intended goals. I PERSONALLY would not do it because Im planning on tracking the car more and more. If you might go to the track once a year and care more about the stance of the car go for it!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
drew.87

Thanks everyone who has chimed in.
I do love the way my 1LE handles but to be honest its my daily and I don't plan on tracking it very often if ever, until I get another daily 3-5 years from now.
I know it wont handle 100% the way it does and I am ok with that because I hate the wheel gap. What I don't want is for it to mess my car up and ride very soft or bounce around. I also am thinking about the warranty side of things. I have some more thinking to do but everyone's input is much appreciated
drew.87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
I do not understand why people bought these cars without the intent of tracking it or pushing it to the limit..?

You want a brand new camaro with no warrants to mod & pull apart buy a 1ss for 34k off the lot, slam it areo package, long tubes void the warranty as fast as possible. If you want to be comfortable buy a 2ss with cool & heated seats in auto with leather everywhere. We already had one person swap the springs & documented it. And then removed them as they unbalanced the mrc everything became vague & mushy , even being half an inch lower. I agree lower looks good, but as friends try to give me sh!t about the monster truck wheel gap they know almost no car under 80k can out handle it

Your car do as you please but most of us it seems wouldn't recommend it
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Until the spring rates of the 1LE are published, we dont know if either option is a suitable replacement for the stock springs. The damper/spring package and MRC are tuned by GM. They forgot more than any of us think we know. Linear, progressive etc etc will all have a cause and effect. Again, If you just want a lower stance and do not plan on getting serious with the car I say go for it just keep in mind your MIGHT have adverse effects when tracking the car at the advertised limit. PTM/ lap times, mid corner stability, bump stear etc. I cant confirm because I havent swapped springs Im just making you aware of the POSSIBLE risks associated with such to help you make a more informed decision.

Ask yourself what your goals are with the car and make your decision based off that. All we can do on the forums is help arm each other with knowledge to help them make the right decision for their intended goals. I PERSONALLY would not do it because Im planning on tracking the car more and more. If you might go to the track once a year and care more about the stance of the car go for it!
Did you check the link I posted? He had the stock 1LE springs tested. They are linear 178 lbs/in front and 539 lbs/in rear.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
For aftermarket springs on the 1LE, I would think you would need to know the spring rates and if you wanted the MRC to work properly/better with new springs you would need this aftermarket controller...

http://www.dscsport.com/camaro/
Old 06-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
slick3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
Did you check the link I posted? He had the stock 1LE springs tested. They are linear 178 lbs/in front and 539 lbs/in rear.
Glanced right over it! Awesome info thank you sir!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #13
drew.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE caSSper View Post
I do not understand why people bought these cars without the intent of tracking it or pushing it to the limit..?

You want a brand new camaro with no warrants to mod & pull apart buy a 1ss for 34k off the lot, slam it areo package, long tubes void the warranty as fast as possible. If you want to be comfortable buy a 2ss with cool & heated seats in auto with leather everywhere. We already had one person swap the springs & documented it. And then removed them as they unbalanced the mrc everything became vague & mushy , even being half an inch lower. I agree lower looks good, but as friends try to give me sh!t about the monster truck wheel gap they know almost no car under 80k can out handle it

Your car do as you please but most of us it seems wouldn't recommend it
I think that's a pretty strong statement to make. I enjoy driving more track focus cars and want to support companies (GM) so they make more. I have heavily modded cars such STI, g35 coupe, WRX and focus st. Thinking about lowering your car an inch is far from slamming it. You never know peoples situation nor goals. I plan on keeping my 1LE for many many year. Currently it is my daily driver for now. I have a deal with my wife that in 3 years, when my 1LE is paid off I can get a 2nd car. I then will track my 1LE a lot. I think asking questions from people that have done it is a fair thing.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
drew.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
For aftermarket springs on the 1LE, I would think you would need to know the spring rates and if you wanted the MRC to work properly/better with new springs you would need this aftermarket controller...

http://www.dscsport.com/camaro/
Thanks for the info! I'll look into it!