Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #57
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I've said it before.

As long as it produces enough HP and Torque, I could care less about HOW they do it.

2-cyl, 3-cyl, 4cyl, 6-cyl, 8-cyl, AAA Batteries,
All of the above,
Or just a whole bunch of hampsters.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #58
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I've said it before.

As long as it produces enough HP and Torque, I could care less about HOW they do it.

2-cyl, 3-cyl, 4cyl, 6-cyl, 8-cyl, AAA Batteries,
All of the above,
Or just a whole bunch of hampsters.
Give me some watch batteries and a flux capacitor and i'm game >
Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #59
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
If they put out a Camaro that gets 40 mpg it will be a completely different car than what we have. It would have to be about 2,000 pounds lighter for a start. And it's sure not going to have 300 HP unless they come up with some truly amazing new technology in the next couple of years.

I had a turbo 4 car that came with 263 HP, a Mazda Speed3. It was fun but it averaged about 20 MPG in a mix of city and highway. GM can no doubt build a car with a 300 HP turbo 4, or a car that gets 40 MPG but one car isn't going to have both.
Why would it need to be less than a ton? There's a handful of cars that are roughly 500 lbs lighter than the Camaro that get around 40 mpg on the highway, and then there are almost as many that are 1000-1500 lbs lighter that top out in the mid 30's. Weight doesn't factor into highway mileage very much. City is a different story, but at constant (or near constant) highway speeds weight only manifests itself as a component of rolling resistance, which itself is a fairly small part of the overall picture. Aerodynamic drag, engine efficiency, and gearing play much larger roles.

All that said, I don't believe that we'll see a 40 mpg Camaro until at least the 7th generation. I also don't believe we'll see a 300ish hp turbo 4 in the Camaro any time soon either. It would make far more sense to use an efficient little V6 in the Camaro than to use a turbo4. It would cost less (in terms of per-unit price as well as engineering costs), while giving similar performance (in both acceleration and fuel economy). I don't have a problem with 4 cylinder cars, but to me the only place for a high output turbo 4 is when it becomes too problematic to use a V6 (such as simplifying the engine lineup to 4 cylinder only). If there is going to be a V6 and a V8 anyways, I just don't see the point.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #60
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

You're right - all that's gonna happen -- just as soon as John, Cheryl, Al and I do a break-dance on Jefferson Avenue in front of the RenCen.......

Believe nothing that you read in the media about any next-gen Camaro......

(.......Hmmmmm......I think I've said THAT at least 17,000,232 times in the past.....---and I was right 17,000,231 times....)

Thank you sir. I dont believe that junk either.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #61
paultheman2007
SWFLGENS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
i am glad i got my v8 no way will i get a 6gen with a 4cyl turbo unless the car looks just blow me away. i always believed muscle cars should be 8cyls.

SWFLGENS on facebook.
paultheman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #62
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I say take this with a grain of salt.

But I will say that I hope GM doesn't lose the V6 in the Camaro. Why not develop it just like the ATS which should be the same platform the next Camaro rides on. It already has a Turbo 4 and a V6, so why not offer that in the Camaro? V6 riding on that lighter platform with a modern transmission should easily be capable of low to mid 30s mpg on the highway. Not to mention also capable of mid to low 5 second 0 - 60 and mid to high 13s out of the box. Throw some simple bolt ons on there and you have a V6 that is nearing the capability of a modern SS L99

That leads me to my 2nd thought. 35mpg city and 45 highway on a turbo 4?????? No way will I believe it until I see it. There is no such thing as a turbo 4 with 300+ HP that can get close 40 combined mpg. If GM really can pull this off (and I don't think anyone can pull it off right now) well then props to them and I see why they'd offer a turbo 4 with those kinds of numbers. Holy geez...

...anyways GM if you are listening. Give us options. Let us pick a strung out 4, a strong 6, or the new 5.x liter DI V8.

why not a turbo v6.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #63
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I generally only believe these things when I see TRAN post them. The rest is for entertainment value only. I can see this thread is no different.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #64
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I think it would be a great idea, then my wife can have a Camaro with good gas mileage, not too much power and still have the great looks of a Camaro.

But seriously it would have to be an affordable price for someone to spend on a 4 cylinder. I don't really think they need to do that, Chevy already has plenty of 4 cylinder cars on the market as it is. Why tarnish the name of Camaro with a 4 cylinder?
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #65
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Why would it need to be less than a ton? There's a handful of cars that are roughly 500 lbs lighter than the Camaro that get around 40 mpg on the highway, and then there are almost as many that are 1000-1500 lbs lighter that top out in the mid 30's. Weight doesn't factor into highway mileage very much. City is a different story, but at constant (or near constant) highway speeds weight only manifests itself as a component of rolling resistance, which itself is a fairly small part of the overall picture. Aerodynamic drag, engine efficiency, and gearing play much larger roles.
You're right. I should have quoted the OP's statement more fully and written "34MPG in the city & 47MPG on the highway." Instead I averaged it out and just said 40. My point was, and still is, that any car that will get that gas mileage (the 34MPG in the city & 47MPG on the highway) will bear little resemblance to the Camaro we drive today.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #66
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Believe nothing that you read in the media about any next-gen Camaro......

Are you implying that the press would make things up just to sell media????

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #67
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
You're right. I should have quoted the OP's statement more fully and written "34MPG in the city & 47MPG on the highway." Instead I averaged it out and just said 40. My point was, and still is, that any car that will get that gas mileage (the 34MPG in the city & 47MPG on the highway) will bear little resemblance to the Camaro we drive today.
Ah, I had forgotten what the OP said. We're both guilty. And we both agree, more or less.

In that case ... 34/47 isn't happening as a Camaro windowsticker for a loooong time. It might hit that for CAFE calculations eventually (which are far more generous than the advertised number), but even then those sorts of numbers would put it in the same ball park as the Cruze Eco today. And for reference, the Cruze Eco is a fwd 'efficiency tuned' 1.4L turbo4 with an underbelly pan and active grill shutters to reduce high speed drag, reduced weight, taller gearing, and lower rolling resistance tires. Even if GM did that to the Camaro, the 'turbo4' that it has would be making roughly half the power claimed in the OP.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #68
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Here's something about the 2013 Camaro you can believe - it's still going to be a 5th gen.
That's pure speculation and has not been confirmed !!!!!!
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #69
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
soon as I read it I knew it wasn't true, there working on a twin turbo V6 engine, why develop such a great set up to not use it in the camaro?

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #70
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
.........when Al, Cheryl, John, Meissen, and myself do a 'Rhumba' on Jefferson Avenue in front of the RenCen...........
It could be in 1 year, or 2 years, or 3 years from now, but you do realize that one day the information will ultimately have to come out and you will be obligated to start dancing.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6th gen camaro, 6th general camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation