Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, I would at least drive a C7 before deciding. I am hearing great things. The 1LE is a great car but it is big and heavy compared to any Vette. Dealers are also starting to discount C7s in my area. A base C7 with Z51, MR, and NPP is a steal for under $60K. I think the black wheels make the C7 look super bad. Of course Plasti Dip is a better deal than a $500 flat black wheel paint job. And stock the C7 will skim 11s in the quarter and I would think spank a 1LE on any track. But the C7 is more than a numbers car, the interior and overall refinement is a leap over the older cars. To me if you don't need a back seat and can afford $60K the C7 is the best performance car to buy at any price.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #30
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Cost is relevant here....what's the budget?
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #31
detox

Drives: 2002 ss camaro
I am not believing this. Why would anybody trade a beautiful Black car like that for a Camaro? No way would i do this unless i finally realized i could not afford the Vette after buying...then i would be upside down if i traded. This is crazy and maybe untrue IMO
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Well Oppenheiser (did I spell that correctly?) did say in an interview, when asked about the Vette vs the Camaro team, that owners of these two different vehicles, were different as well.

One does have to wonder though, what exactly did he mean by that. I think I do.....but for sure, perhaps even sadly even, SOME Gen5 Camaro owners are people who really wanted a Vette, but settled for a Camaro instead. I wonder high that percentage of folk really is?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #33
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
OP . that GS you have is awesome! . i cant fathom how you would get "bored" in a car like that. wow. the camaro and vette both are great cars, but like previous posts, i can imagine how a camaro would satisfy you after coming from a vette and a vette family. not to downgrade any camaro, but, i would keep the vette. but each car serves a purpose and you have to buy a car for which purpose you intend to use it.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The GS is a great car. But rough around the edges. What really impresses me is how well GM listened to all the Corvette criticisms and went after almost all of them while holding a line on the price with the C7. I have yet to drive one, but other than a small weight gain and the fact that $50K+ is out of reach for many, what are the negatives? Some may gripe about the styling, but the C7 look does grow on you. While some may be waiting for the next Camaro or the 500 HP Mustang GT, does it get better than the C7 if a performance car is what you are after?
Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #35
delphigto

Drives: 14 1le
I had a 06 Z06 and now a 14 1le. The camaro is a much better driver. I like the last two camaros I've had much better than my vette. I don't miss it a bit. I like the ride and handling on the 1le better than the 10. I think the electric power steering helps the new camaros also.
10 2ss ERL 427 530 rwhp sold
14 1ss 1le
delphigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #36
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
The tailights is an aesthetic argument. I like the look of the '14s. Makes them standout against other Camaros. Also...that tailight design goes back through the history of the Camaro. I believe another member was posting comparison shots between 14s and 67s. Looked similar.

To the OP....your GS is nice. Maybe I missed it, but have you looked at the new Stingray? Amazing cars...alas...I don't have Stingray money.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #37
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
It is listed as:
"With its specific aluminum-alloy wheels wearing fat Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires at both ends—275/35ZR-18 front, 325/30ZR-19 rear—the Vette pulled a resounding 1.02 g on the skidpad, completely upstaging the GT500.

the quarter in 12.5 at 116 mph—and its best timed lap at Grattan was 1:30.2"

I am not so sure about that. Not far off the pace in the 1/4 stock (12.99) and my 1:30 now is on par. With a couple tweaks no doubt it would be easy to surpass. But the Vette Wil still be easier on tires and brakes.
There is many versions of the supercars, the stock is a supercar tire too but n o the version we have on our cars. It was a free option you can check when building a GS, something like "extreme summer performance tires".

Usually it comes with these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&filterType=oe

Optional were the second ones listed (like ours): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=58165&tab=All

Also, you can clearly see in the picture of the article it has the less sticky tires, not the G2's.
http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...omparison-test

Trust me, that GS is a lot faster than a 1LE with a capable driver, it is a lot harder to drive hence why many guys at the track seem to pull similar lap times to the easy driving 1LE.

Last edited by Mgizzle; 12-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
SMN2011Z28
Always a work in progress

Drives: 2014 RRM SS RS 1LE
I'll add a few Corvette to Camaro differences coming from a 2008 Z06. The cockpit in the GS is more "form fitting", however with the new Recaro's you can make it feel very similar. You will find the Camaro a litte easier to get in and out of. In the power and ride department the Camaro 1LE with NPP will feel and ride similar, but in my opinion sound better and maybe ride a bit rougher than the GS but the power will feel the same, and the handling of the 1LE will impress you.

The tailights of the 2014 look really good at night and I think better on red colors than on black or white where there is such a contrast. Either way they grew on me and I think the whole back end looks better when you remove the bowtie.

Just my .02
SMN2011Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #39
honor first
MURICA!

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wocampb View Post
Just do this to your 1LE and you will be very happy. Tinted tail lights and painted rear diffuser.

Attachment 585471
epic. will be done to mine when the money is right. but the more and more i spend on the camaro, the more i regret it because in the end i want a c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR3KC View Post
The tailights is an aesthetic argument. I like the look of the '14s. Makes them standout against other Camaros. Also...that tailight design goes back through the history of the Camaro. I believe another member was posting comparison shots between 14s and 67s. Looked similar.
may have been my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honor first View Post
idk why everyone acts like the 2014 rear end is just a design that was made to suit some corporate gang or isnt apart of the camaro heritage.

it is a direct and 110% tribute to arguably (and im sure most would agree), best and most valuable classic year of the camaro, in the most desirable package, SS/RS.

For being 45 years apart, the 2014 RS tail lights are nearly an exact replica of the 69 RS. search '1969 camaro rs rear' for hundreds of pictures

that being said if people dont like how they look, well so be it that is their opinion and im not bashing it. but dont cite it being a generic or origin-less design as a reason for not liking it, as it simply isnt true.

just my two cents
hope it doesnt take the thread off topic.

OP, like i said above, i love the camaro, first car ive ever bought new (didnt want to buy this new either, im just against it in general, but had to, long story), and every day i love it.

but i want a c7 badly. which is why ive done my basic bolt ons, basics like window tint, sound system, wheels, etc. but i am hesitant to do any advanced mods like SC/cam/turbo/etc, because i know it will never fulfill my lust for the c7 until i own one, whether or not i still have the camaro at that time. id drive the c7 first.
i paid sticker (almost 44) for my 1LE. for 13k more i could have a base c7 1LT + the essential z51 package. if i hadnt been rushed into buying a car and could have waited it out a year, that's what i would have done.

summary: camaro 1LE is a great choice. but go for the c7 if financially able too, in my opinion
AFE Intake, Stainless Power Headers + HFC, BadlanzHPE Electric Cutouts. 315/275 Nittos, Wheels. Debadged, Cosmetic Mods, Sound System, More
honor first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #40
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
The history of those 1 piece lights cannot be denied as demonstrated above.

However, perhaps there are those who simply are expressing the view, that regardless of its history, the execution of them on the rear of the Gen5 Camaro, makes the rear look more awkward if you will. More awkward looking than before. I'm not saying it, others have. The front end on the other hand, seems to score huge by all types in society, minus the horizontal chrome strip on some models which is for the most part, not at all that popular. Again I'm not saying this, but having read this forum here cover to cover.. , that seems to be the general consensus.

A very neutral way to go about this, and unbiased as well, would be to take someone who had zero knowledge of the Camaro, put these two cars cars side by side, and then ask, which one has the nicest ass?

I don't know the answer to that question. I'm just sayin'

These style 1 piece lights, do look good though on the new T4 Bumblebee though

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 12-30-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #41
honor first
MURICA!

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
yeah the chrome front strip is killing me. looks like it would take a whole weekend of properly taping of to plastdip it correctly without overspray. its the only non-black part left on my RS. it's killing me
AFE Intake, Stainless Power Headers + HFC, BadlanzHPE Electric Cutouts. 315/275 Nittos, Wheels. Debadged, Cosmetic Mods, Sound System, More
honor first is offline   Reply With Quote