Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
That looks awesome. Looks very clean without the wrap. What tracks you heading to? Watkins, Lime Rock?
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Nice man, the deal is hard to beat.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Congrats on your Sim 1LE !

Very nice !!!

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
No wheels? Or are you in winter mode?
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
Having owned both a ZL1 and a 1 LE can you give a quick comparison?
I'll second that motion. And congrats!!!
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Looks sweet! 1LE's are BEAST!

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE - 402 of 451
"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
BATMOB1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Congrats! Black matte hood optional or removed?
Removed by Tom Henry Racing. If you check the 1LE box - you have no choice, it gets installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
Having owned both a ZL1 and a 1LE can you give a quick comparison?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I'll second that motion. And congrats!!!
Of course, I'd be happy to!

Suspension
Both the ZL1 and the SS/1LE cars handle corners ridiculously well. In fact, it could be argued that they find there way around a road course almost identically in feel and performance. Where the ZL1 pulls ahead and becomes worth the money is the comfort factor that it boasts. Because it's heavier, it needs some stiffer springs...yet the ride is like a Cadillac thanks to the Magnetic Ride.

I wouldn't describe the 1LE's handling as "harsh"...but it is much less forgiving than the ZL1 on bumpy roads. That said, the 1LE responds to driver inputs with much more quickness than the ZL1. It just feels so much lighter - probably because all the same responsiveness tweaks they used on the ZL1 are here, on an SS of 200 lbs less.

Confident, solid, responsive, comfortable - that's how I'd describe the suspension of the ZL1.

Confident, light, nimble, and tight - that's how I'd compare the 1LE.

Power
The ZL1 undeniably has more power...nuclear power....it's absolutely ridiculous how much thrust that car can produce. Despite weighing more and having a shorter rear-end gear ratio than the 1LE, it pulls like a freight train - in any gear, at any RPM. The LSA engine is also smoother and more solid feeling than the LS3. I wouldn't expect anything less from a $14,000 engine, though.

I rarely used all that power on the road, though...because if I did, I'd tear a hole through the car in front of me and end up in the next zip code by 3rd gear. I was afraid I'd miss that...but the truth is...I don't - not really. The LS3, combined with the 3.91 ratio out back, doesn't disappoint. Throttle response is instant, and again...the engine, clutch, & transmission convey a feeling of lightness, free-spinning, and it seems easier to wind up than the LSA. Of course - I also "feel" like I'm going faster than I am, because you can use this sort of power on the road (responsibly) without fear for those people half a mile in front of you.

Interior
This is the only area where it's a complete landslide in favor of the 1LE in my case. The ZL1 I drove was a 2012...so it had no MyLink. The new car also features Recaro racing seats: they hold me in crazy tight...but they're also very comfortable, and look badass. MyLink has navigation and it's awesome (didn't ever think I'd care...but turns out I do!). Furthermore, the suede steering wheel and shifter knob are carried over from the ZL1; I loved them in the old car - and I love them in this new car.

Looking out over the hood - you can see the vents poking out ever so slightly, and the "power-dome" character line is right in front of me...it looks sleek, svelte (as they like to say of the Camaro in general). I miss the exposed carbon fiber insert from the ZL1, though...that was so cool to look at.

Exterior
What can I say?
Hood vents? Check for both...front splitter - check for both...big rear spoiler - check for both...quad tailpipes - check for both....beautifully sculpted black wheels - check for both...low-slung stance and visual appearance - check for both.

Both my '12 ZL1 and my '14 1LE impress me about the same visually. I'll give the nod to the 1LE, though, because the '14 redesign (RS package included) helps make the car look lower, sleeker, tighter, faster...and I like that. The ZL1 looked powerful, strong, and fast...which is great, too!

Other things
SS clutch is lighter, and therefore easier to deal with over regular driving conditions...the 1LE (dual mode exhaust) sounds less "full" as the ZL1, but in it's own way - sounds more angry (which I didn't think was possible). The ZL1-borrowed shifter is just like it was: Perfect.

The halos and rear tail-light glow is beautiful...that whole refresh...taillights and all has grown on me - I love it. Also, for '14 the car has "Siri eyes free", and that works real well - I'm impressed.

In the ZL1, when you pressed the PTM buttons and cycled through the performance modes, the car adjusted steering feel and throttle response, with the suspension...I am pleased to report that the 1LE also has adjusted (for the track) steering feel and throttle response when you enter Competition mode.

I can boil down two things that I really, really miss about the ZL1: The Magnetic Suspension, and the knowledge that the care is utterly bullet-proof. Besides these two things, and the power deficit...everything about the '14 1LE feels like an upgrade to me.

If you want to read a longer version of that (^)...you can visit this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...p?t=246800...I grazed through it...my opinion has not changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
That looks awesome. Looks very clean without the wrap. What tracks you heading to? Watkins, Lime Rock?
I think I'll try to visit Watkin's Glen this summer...also going to try and get to Gingerman, or Grattan Raceway in Michigan....or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
No wheels? Or are you in winter mode?
I am sporting polished 2010 wheels with winter tires on them. The black wheels and F1 supercar tires are in the basement waiting for late Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Dynamite View Post
Looks sweet! 1LE's are BEAST!
Yes, they are!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #22
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Why did you replace the black wheels with regular SS ones?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Why did you replace the black wheels with regular SS ones?
I didn't replace them - they're in storage, until the cold weather passes. The 2010 SS wheels are shod in Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires...I'm driving this car all year round up here in NY.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Well....I decided to put my money where my mouth is, and purchase a 1LE. For those that may not know...I previously drove a 2012 ZL1. Loved it dearly - and I miss many things about it.

However, due to life decisions that needed to be made, and the 1LE's own merits - I decided to change things up a little bit.

Figured I'd post some pictures, and introduce another 1LE to the club!
It's a silver 2014 2SS with Recaro seats, dual-mode exhaust, and navigation.

Modifications thus far: Hood wrap removal, "gills" protective film, K&N filter, & exhaust flapper switch...
Future mods: Z/28 high flow intake, & Z/28 brake ducts.
Mr. Wyndham,

Congrats on your 2014 SS/1LE! It looks fantastic. How are you enjoying it?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
Cooley

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Welcome to the club Mr. Wyndham!!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
detox

Drives: 2002 ss camaro
Quote:
I didn't replace them - they're in storage, until the cold weather passes. The 2010 SS wheels are shod in Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires...I'm driving this car all year round up here in NY.

I like that idea. Used 2010 SS wheels are pretty easy to find and affordable. The 2013 SS versions are also easy to find.
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Mr. Wyndham,

Congrats on your 2014 SS/1LE! It looks fantastic. How are you enjoying it?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
It's friggin' fantastic! Thanks for asking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooley View Post
Welcome to the club Mr. Wyndham!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
I like that idea. Used 2010 SS wheels are pretty easy to find and affordable. The 2013 SS versions are also easy to find.
Yup!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
It's friggin' fantastic! Thanks for asking!
Great to hear!

We wish you many more miles of smiles!

All the best,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote