Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Why should I get a 2011 vs a 2010?

I'm coming back home to the camaro ownership family! Actually I haven't left it yet but my '80 Z28 was left behind when I moved cross country years ago and sadly didn't weather well. On top of that the car apparently was slowly stripped of it's parts by theives while in storage.

I had that car for 20 years so it's sad. However, now I am in a better financial position to buy a car and really do it right. I want a 5th Gen, used so someone else can take the off the lot price drop hit. I'll put those savings into mods. The plan, SC, LT headers, hi flow cats, coilovers, sway bars and most bushings, trailing arms, and wheels/tires.

So I'll have a heafty mod bill for sure. I know if I get a 2010 there will be no HUD. Not sure I even know what that is but I will learn more. What else if anything will I be giving up? Since I will be modding it so much does the difference in years even matter? The milage will be a little higher but that's okay since this will be a semi-daily driver and for only 7 months of the year. it won't be racking up milage very fast.

Also are the differences between the RS, 1SS, 2SS and all the packages still the same? Can I just look on the Chevy website and see what each package offers one over the other or do you all have any great links showing the differences? My searches thusfar have found lots of scattered information.

Thanks for your thoughts and info!
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
B1976

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (ReallySpecial)
Do your homework. Depends on what you need. Buy the one that meets your criteria. Lowest mileage and lowest price. Its a buyers market. I just bought a 2010 2SS for $28k. 4500 miles. Ive spent about 4 grand in mods so far. Im happy.
B1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Mightygrasshopper

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary edition 'vert
Ya I think hud is only difference. If its a much older 2010, you may not have back up sensors too.

www.mightygrasshopper.com
Into health, wellness and fitness? Check out my site for natural health product reviews, health articles and industry news.

Want to get into summer time shape? I'm a former fatty who's lost the weight - "Train With Me" for FREE - sexy abs in 16 weeks! Just follow along!
Mightygrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygrasshopper View Post
Ya I think hud is only difference. If its a much older 2010, you may not have back up sensors too.
I thought so, but I wanted to make sure those in the know weren't aware of something I'm not. So the newer 2010 had backup sensors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1976 View Post
Do your homework. Depends on what you need. Buy the one that meets your criteria. Lowest mileage and lowest price. Its a buyers market. I just bought a 2010 2SS for $28k. 4500 miles. Ive spent about 4 grand in mods so far. Im happy.

Sweet, was that thru a dealer? What part of the country? Did you haggle them down a lot?

On the topic of the country, anyone have a car carrier they recommend? Thsi car will most likely be bought and built out of state. I got WA to AK covered I think but in the lower 48 I have no idea of who to go with.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Warranty.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
The HUD is worth a little more on the price tag IMO. Every one I have test driven makes it more operator friendly and easier to focus on the road than looking at the gauge clusters.
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
I agree , I really having the HUD but if you never had it you won't miss it.
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
B1976

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (ReallySpecial)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Sweet, was that thru a dealer? What part of the country? Did you haggle them down a lot?
Yes, it was through a dealer. It was a trade in. Northeast. Asking $32k. I searched for months. I used AutoTrader.com Set my parameter for 250 miles from my zip code. Hundreds of cars. And you will get an idea, on average of what a good price is. There are dealers asking $34k for cars with 25,000 miles. Also some nice deals on ebay. Shipping depends on your distance obviously. But can be worth it on a car thats priced low.
B1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Seeya

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
Warranty.
I wouldn't worry about that cuz you're gong to void that with all the performance mods - jk

Get what gives you a perma-grin.
Seeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
SilveRS
Dream Big, Work Hard....

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM
I had a 2010 2LT RS and I can say that I think the 2011 is really the way to go. My reasons for the 2011 over the 2010 (besides the engine upgrade now that I have a 2SS) are as follows:

1. The analog gauges are much nicer on the 2011
2. The 2011 has the Heads Up Display which is really nice
3. The rear parking sensors are relly nice to have
4. Having a little more warranty again is nice, however I still purchased an extended warranty

Mostly small details, but in the end it really comes down to what you want. Good Luck and enjoy the fun in car hunting!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
The HUD is worth every penny.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygrasshopper View Post
i have a 2011 and I don't have back up sensors
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #13
IPT

Thanks for all the thoughts and info. The HUD sounds pretty nice but as was said if I never see it I won't miss it. Thankfully I am really busy with work so I can afford this. However, since I am so busy I'll have little time to do the work myself. On top of that what I want to do far exceeds my skills. Maybe some day down the road I'll have more time and can take on another project, or by then this one will be due for some upgrades .

Yeah, warranty is gonna be void pretty quickly once I take possession of the car. That is a calculated risk I know but at this point the last thing I want is a stock car. The ZL1 is interesting but I think I can build a similar car (performance wise) that will be custom all for about 10 grand less. Plus with the ZL1 I think I would be too paranoid about it. I don't want a car I never take out because I am terrified of a door ding. I'll be super careful with an SS but I'll drive it a lot too . Somehow paying that much all at once makes me quiver ...... LOL, yet paying nearly the same but half for the car and half for "upgrades" seems more paletable. Funny how the mind works it's little tricks on us!

Yeah, this going to be a street car. Not going for all out performance in any catagory. Really thought about a cam but feel the SC will give me more low end torque and I'll have a super charger . My old Z28 it was fast, but after riding in a Vette I realized it lacked tons on handling. I want to be able to hold onto some of that SC power around some curves. Of course on the street all of this will be overkill but hey, it'll be fun as hell and look killer in the process. I sort of miss being "that guy with the sick camaro"..... .
Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #14
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
The hud alone was reason enough for me to skip the ten, but I have a weird attachement to huds.. MUST have for me. lol. Other than that you're good to go.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote