Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #99
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
I dont give a damn what anyone here says. After cross shopping a ZL1 and a GT500, the GT500 got my nod. There is WAY too much heresay in the controversial "track times" of both. I can find times that show the GT500 FASTER, just as those stating the ZL1 faster. Drive both- ZERO question. That being said, I have been a lifetime GM owner and could not WAIT to buy a ZL1! After driving both, I bought the Shelby. It is faster.
Whooooahhhh! Spoken like a true fanboy. I hope you realize this is a Chevrolet forum and if you lurk about long enough, you'll find most of the folks on here will give the nod to, um, uh, a Chevrolet.

It's not heresay, it's statistically proven by many automotive experts that the ZL1 is faster than the GT500 on a road course. Clearly, the 662 HP Mustang should have the edge at the drag strip, but unfortunately, Ford didn't think it necessary to build in a little traction or even attempt to put better tires on the car. Check YouTube and you'll find some videos showing the ZL1 easily beating the GT500 as the latter smokes it's expensive tires. Drag radials do wonders for the GT500.

If you want to spend your weekends at the drag strip and win, buy a GT500 and a good set of drag radials and have fun. If you want a road course track car, buy something else. If you want to beat Ford's "best" car everywhere, buy a Z06.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #100
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Whooooahhhh! Spoken like a true fanboy. I hope you realize this is a Chevrolet forum and if you lurk about long enough, you'll find most of the folks on here will give the nod to, um, uh, a Chevrolet.

It's not heresay, it's statistically proven by many automotive experts that the ZL1 is faster than the GT500 on a road course. Clearly, the 662 HP Mustang should have the edge at the drag strip, but unfortunately, Ford didn't think it necessary to build in a little traction or even attempt to put better tires on the car. Check YouTube and you'll find some videos showing the ZL1 easily beating the GT500 as the latter smokes it's expensive tires. Drag radials do wonders for the GT500.

If you want to spend your weekends at the drag strip and win, buy a GT500 and a good set of drag radials and have fun. If you want a road course track car, buy something else. If you want to beat Ford's "best" car everywhere, buy a Z06.
LesserO2Evils definitely is not a fan boy. He is not a "fanboy" of any manufacturer. Just because someone likes one car over the other doesn't mean anything. He drives a C6 ZO6 after all. While I don't know about the controversial track times, I know the GT500 is not as bad on the track as a Hellcat (which you never see track times or comparison for).

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #101
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
LesserO2Evils definitely is not a fan boy. He is not a "fanboy" of any manufacturer. Just because someone likes one car over the other doesn't mean anything. He drives a C6 ZO6 after all. While I don't know about the controversial track times, I know the GT500 is not as bad on the track as a Hellcat (which you never see track times or comparison for).
Sounds like a fanboy from his post...but nevertheless. Motor Trend, I think, did a track test of the Mustang GT, Camaro 1LE and the Hellcat and the Camaro beat all of them...the GT second by 2 seconds slower and the Hellcat...well behind.

I think anyone should post preferences here or anywhere else...I honestly think the GT500 is another of Ford's collector car that is worth a lot of money, but not the greatest performer. Chevrolet is making the best effort of any of them to produce a car with quality, performance and honest American good looks. But then that's my Chevrolet fanboy point of view...lol.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #102
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Not a fanboy. A true car enthusiest that gives credit where it is due. If anything I have been a GM fanboy, in the past. I have literally lost friends over my Ford bashing in the past. Of course, that time period was justified. 4.6s were a complete joke. Ford couldnt get more that 300hp without slapping on a blower. Times have changed. They've really stepped up. I may not LIKE that, but I cannot deny it. I had a love/hate with my GT500. But in the end, it just wasnt me.... REGARDLESS of the insane power. So back to a Vette I went, and I dont regret it one bit.
Thank you SuperSound. I appreciate your input there.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #103
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Not a fanboy. A true car enthusiest that gives credit where it is due. If anything I have been a GM fanboy, in the past. I have literally lost friends over my Ford bashing in the past. Of course, that time period was justified. 4.6s were a complete joke. Ford couldnt get more that 300hp without slapping on a blower. Times have changed. They've really stepped up. I may not LIKE that, but I cannot deny it. I had a love/hate with my GT500. But in the end, it just wasnt me.... REGARDLESS of the insane power. So back to a Vette I went, and I dont regret it one bit.
Thank you SuperSound. I appreciate your input there.
Sorry if I offended you. I just have trouble believing that anyone believes the GT500 is the best pony car option for anything but drag racing and then only with drag radials or slicks. I beat one of them with my 2010 bolt on Camaro...obviously only because of the traction limitations of the GT500. That had to be embarrassing for him.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #104
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
I've driven the Camaro. it's a nice car but an ergonomic disaster. Seriousl, my 1966 Chevelle is much more comfortable to drive. I like hanging my arm out the window if I want. Can't do that in the Camaro. I can see all around the Chevelle without blind spots. Can't say that about the Camaro. Now, that said, the Camaro handles light years better and is by far superior in technology and emissions.
The Challenger is more comfortable to drive than the Camaro hands down.
My observation is objective, not biased.
The Corvette is simply in an elevated class over the Camaro as it should well be. It is a rare day to see a newer model Camaro lay down a number at the local Drag Strip. Just usually doesn't happen for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post

Since ya'll both like the '66 Chevelle, how do you like the badges representing something that it is not?
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #105
68fbjjz109

Drives: 15 GTPP, CUCV Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
A lot of assumptions in that post. You assume FCA is making good money on the Hellcats, but that is unlikely given their recent statements about it being "halo car". Has anyone actually seen any new sales figures? Last thing around sales for them was that they stopped taking orders at 9000, but that's not an actual built number.
I there is one thing I know about FCA; they don't know how to make money. That is one thing I know Ford does very very well.

FCA's margins are horrible, and they are having a big problem with it right now. Some of their vehicles essentially make no money because they build cars with little consideration for profit or price point, and they don't charge for content.

That Alpha in some form is likely going to be the basis for the L platform replacement from what I have heard over the last year. However there is nothing coming from those vehicle teams yet to support the strong rumors. Even if it's not as light, if the can get withing 100 lbs of the competition that will get the off their performance island, and help with CAFE.
68fbjjz109 is offline   Reply With Quote