Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Jacking Points and Pucks

Hey guys - I am new to the forum having just bought my 50th Convertible SS this weekend. I have owned a C6 before and I remember using jacking pucks to lift her. Are these available and/or necessary for the 6th Gen Camaro? I have not found the correct jacking points in the manual - though I might have missed it somewhere in the 350 pages lol.

Interested in your thoughts and if someone has a picture of the jacking points. Thanks in advance!
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452280
Old 11-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
toro1966

Thanks. Good video but it did leave me with some concerns. It appears that the jack stands are being placed across the pinch welds. Is that correct? If so, I have seen way too many of those bend to do that. Or am I just not seeing it correctly?

Also, for four point lifts, where is are the appropriate jacking locations? Are those the pinch welds shown in the picture as well, or is it lifted from the subframe somewhere?
Old 11-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
These are GREAT video's to use for reference. I must have watched them 10+ times. The only difference I found on my 2017 2SS Convertible, are the pinch welds at the front. You will notice on the video there are two "distinct" pinch welds. On my car there was only one (the forward one). However, you can access the other one right behind it - it just doesn't have the "cut out" shown in the video. I HIGHLY recommend the ZL1 Add On Pinch Weld Magnetic Jack Pad. It was WELL WORTH the $$........ I purchased the same hydraulic lift, and used 4 X 3 ton jack stands.

Yes, the jack stands were placed under the pinch welds. I did this 3 weeks ago, and no problems at all.......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
toro1966

Thanks Mike - Nice car - just bough the same one this weekend .

So how do you access the rear pinch weld if there is no cutout for it? admittedly I am not home to just go out and take a look underneath. I assume you jacked from the rear point if you put the jackstand on the front weld - correct?

Also - have you had to take yours in yet to the dealer? SHOULD they have pads for jacking it? I ask because I was almost tempted to buy a set of the ZL1 Add-on Jack Pads in case I ever have to take it in - they can use all four...

Thoughts?
Old 11-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
On the convertible, I use the exposed pinch weld for the jack, with the jack puck, and put the stands under the other cut out where the cross brace is bolted on. Holds good with no bending that I can see.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
camaromike77

Thanks toro1966...... PM sent..... Oh, and you only require ONE of the ZL1 Jack pads........
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
Old 11-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
camaromike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
On the convertible, I use the exposed pinch weld for the jack, with the jack puck, and put the stands under the other cut out where the cross brace is bolted on. Holds good with no bending that I can see.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Hey Groundhog, can you explain how the jackstand fits on the pinchweld with the brace supports? I'm not comfortable that the cross beams will be able to support the weight of the car, and don't want to wreck something. I called the dealer this am, and they were no help. . . .

cheers,
Joel
Attached Images

JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromike77 View Post
Yes, the jack stands were placed under the pinch welds. I did this 3 weeks ago, and no problems at all.......
Pardon my ignorance, but how do the jack stands not bend the pinch welds?
Old 11-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how do the jack stands not bend the pinch welds?
They can bend the pinch the weld if you move the car improperly while on the stands. The bigger issue is the jack being used to lift the car has the tendency to bend the pinch welds without a pinch weld support like ZL1addons offers.

In the instance of the Jack stand, your setting the weight on the stand, with a jack your pushing the car up and putting pressure that can and will cause the pinch welds to flex.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
Thanks. Good video but it did leave me with some concerns. It appears that the jack stands are being placed across the pinch welds. Is that correct? If so, I have seen way too many of those bend to do that. Or am I just not seeing it correctly?
See my response above this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
Also, for four point lifts, where is are the appropriate jacking locations? Are those the pinch welds shown in the picture as well, or is it lifted from the subframe somewhere?
You should use the pinch welds as well. You can use other areas under the car, but most of it is soft aluminum and it can cave in or cause damage. Its a risk you take on some of the body points.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #13
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
They can bend the pinch the weld if you move the car improperly while on the stands. The bigger issue is the jack being used to lift the car has the tendency to bend the pinch welds without a pinch weld support like ZL1addons offers.

In the instance of the Jack stand, your setting the weight on the stand, with a jack your pushing the car up and putting pressure that can and will cause the pinch welds to flex.
Thank you for taking the time to explain!

So, you're saying that the pinch welds do rest directly on the jack stands, but that there is less force being exerted on them, since the jack stand is not moving/lifting the car, and that having pinch welds merely resting on jack stands does not exert enough force to bend/damage the pinch welds?
Old 11-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
You can always make your own pinch weld adapter/ Jack puck yourself also... I used these pucks i made myself (set of 5 didn't even cost $15 Cdn.) and used Sledgehammer70's locations to lift the car (front pinch welds: jack and support; rear pinch welds for support and the indicated brace to lift both sides of the rear at once)
Works like a charm, car has been in the air at least 6 times with zero damage (pucks also stay put on the pinch welds while positioning the jack)
Attached Images

Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote