Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #29
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Right. Ford went bankrupt when? Never mind, I'm sure cutting 2000 jobs is exactly what GM needed to keep corporate forecasts where they need to be. Go Wall St.
If you have to cut 2000 jobs on a new product only 11 months after you hired them. You failed.
I don't know man. Article said they were losing 810 jobs at that plant by eliminating the third shift. It sounds like Chevy has greater ability to scale production to actual demand than Ford does by halting production for a week on an over capacity two shift plant.

I found this pretty interesting (link below). Gen4 Camaro was producing 120k cars/year in a 200k car/year plant. That spells death and if I understand the Ford numbers correctly it looks similarly bad. I googled the plant numbers, etc... looked correct but I'm not an expert
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=98

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #30
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I don't know man. Article said they were losing 810 jobs at that plant by eliminating the third shift. It sounds like Chevy has greater ability to scale production to actual demand than Ford does by halting production for a week on an over capacity two shift plant.

I found this pretty interesting (link below). Gen4 Camaro was producing 120k cars/year in a 200k car/year plant. That spells death and if I understand the Ford numbers correctly it looks similarly bad. I googled the plant numbers, etc... looked correct but I'm not an expert
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=98
Somewhere on the Gen5 side of the site there is the "real" story of the death of the gen4. There's a LOT more to it. GM wanted that plant closed.

OK so I stand corrected. the 2000 number is for all layoffs company wide. Still 810 full time jobs lost hits a community hard. It's an especially hard pill to swallow when GM is posting great profits and bragging about making more per car, sales volume be dammed.
It's easy to post numbers and cheer on GM's profit model when it's not you on the unemployment line. I know it's in vogue to dismiss the human element to issues like this but I can't. I think there's room to sell these cars for a lot less and still make money, and keep people working.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #31
20162$$

Drives: 2016 2ss
Quote:
Somewhere on the Gen5 side of the site there is the "real" story of the death of the gen4. There's a LOT more to it. GM wanted that plant closed.

OK so I stand corrected. the 2000 number is for all layoffs company wide. Still 810 full time jobs lost hits a community hard. It's an especially hard pill to swallow when GM is posting great profits and bragging about making more per car, sales volume be dammed.
It's easy to post numbers and cheer on GM's profit model when it's not you on the unemployment line. I know it's in vogue to dismiss the human element to issues like this but I can't. I think there's room to sell these cars for a lot less and still make money, and keep people working.
Gm has been doing this for decades.. Its nothing new.. Its never been about the employees.. It never will be.. Thats why the employees unionized. Read labor history you will see...
20162$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #32
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
. I think there's room to sell these cars for a lot less and still make money, and keep people working.
That is not the goal of any large corporation.. they have to pay the owners. Rule 1. Nothing changes that now, never will. Any variation or claim to the contrary is a marketing play or a rare organization.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:43 AM   #33
kasperdsmk

Drives: Hopeful 2017 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 View Post
I wonder if this will effect QC? Hopefully they'll keep the good employees but that might mean to them the most experienced/higher paid ones could get the axe.
Its a Union Plant. Lowest Seniority always get the boot.. They never needed a 3rd shift. That's GM trying to play catch up, now there caught up on production there cutting the shift.. They were so behind on the launch from all the problems with QC and Assembly. Its why they started the shift in the first place. Almost all of the Big 3 plants run 2 shifts 10 hours now a days, with 4 hours of PM's being done to the lines in-between. Chrysler runs 3 shifts 10 hour blocks on 4 day rotations on 6 days a week so there is none to little over time being payed for the Jeep Grand Cherokee
kasperdsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #34
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
The story about the layoffs was in the news nationally in newspapers, t.v., and on the radio. I bet the forum members didn't need to read about it on Camaro6.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #35
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20162$$ View Post
Gm has been doing this for decades.. Its nothing new.. Its never been about the employees.. It never will be.. Thats why the employees unionized. Read labor history you will see...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
That is not the goal of any large corporation.. they have to pay the owners. Rule 1. Nothing changes that now, never will. Any variation or claim to the contrary is a marketing play or a rare organization.
Yeah, I get it. Corporations are entities with zero responsibility to anyone. I don't need to read labor union history. I despise labor unions, almost as much as corporations. No one wins. It's very unfortunate for the 800 people who lost their jobs.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #36
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Yeah, I get it. Corporations are entities with zero responsibility to anyone. I don't need to read labor union history. I despise labor unions, almost as much as corporations. No one wins. It's very unfortunate for the 800 people who lost their jobs.
^^^THIS^^^ I agree 100%.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #37
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
Yes well that was my point the people who are in the 70K and up bracket for a car with some exceptions of course are not affected like the rank-and-file workers that most of us are. I would say most middle-class buyers can't afford a hellcat now. As for the cruise I think it's just a POS in that segment compared to the competition. No matter the price
You should check out the new Cruze, it scored 2nd out of 7 in motor trends last big test of small cars. I bought one for a daily driver and I'm pretty impressed.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...ompact-sedans/

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #38
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
The car industry is in a wait and see mode. Trump winning means they have to reassess there sales model. If he imposes the 35% tariff on vehicles built outside the U.S. Car prices will spike they have to add it to the sticker. Trump is a pro energy guy subsidies for alternate fuel cars may disappear. I think e85 will be history. That's a lot of money that the auto industry will not receive. Big picture here is major companies are holding there breath as to what will happen in the next 6 months. He is going to restructure the tax rate for everyone, big chances are coming. People will not run out and make big purchases right now who knows what the interest rates will be in the next six month's. Times are a changing.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #39
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I agree the third shift was never needed, that's just them getting greedy, and they didn't pull the third shift because anything going on in politics now, these things are not decided in an instant, it's simply because sales aren't there. I worked in production control for BMW in South Carolina for two years , plans are thought out way ahead of time in terms of scheduling and shifts. When lots fill up at the dealership, production goes down. Car compwnies only have one priority; keeping the plants running. Because everything that is produced is sold to a dealer immediately , so the cash just comes back. When dealers choke up, The whole plan stops… In the industry they call it "you can't eat like an elephant and shit like a bird."
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #40
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
According to this article cutting the 3rd shift is very pragmatic considering the seasonal slowing of car sales and planned renovations at the facility.
http://www.wilx.com/content/news/GM-...400545291.html
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #41
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I agree the third shift was never needed, that's just them getting greedy, and they didn't pull the third shift because anything going on in politics now, these things are not decided in an instant, it's simply because sales aren't there. I worked in production control for BMW in South Carolina for two years , plans are thought out way ahead of time in terms of scheduling and shifts. When lots fill up at the dealership, production goes down. Car compwnies only have one priority; keeping the plants running. Because everything that is produced is sold to a dealer immediately , so the cash just comes back. When dealers choke up, The whole plan stops… In the industry they call it "you can't eat like an elephant and shit like a bird."
Agree. The third shift wasn't needed. Dropping the prices or shooting for rental car fleet and base trim sales isn't going to change that. Mustang's 32% drop proves that and they appear to have a real capacity problem.

Fact is, GM was able to scale production back 30% to meet the actual demand. Camaro sales were not inflated by "rental car fleet" and "base trim" sales so volume is stable with 90% being retail customers.

As Ford dropped 12% and FCA 10.3%, GM went down 1.7%. Thor asked how is "lower sales numbers working out for them". GM answers "we want to build sustainability". They do appear (to me anyway) to be approaching the market better than they did in the past when they chased volume for volumes sake.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #42
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yup, the guys that make a decision at the plant for how many to produce get what's called a "daily operating control" report. At the top of it is dealer dealer supply; The amount of units on the ground in dealer lots,that are not selling. When that number goes up over a quarter, they start to pull the brakes on production. And the COO yells at everybody… LOL

Last edited by Glen e; 11-11-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote