Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Who wants to see another V6 engine in the 6th gen??

Lots of talk about the possibility of a turbo 4 in the 6th gen (and I'm betting it will happen) and lots of talk about the new LT1.

There is not as much talk about a V6 engine. (not talking turbo V6 here...just N/A)

First off, let me say, that with a light enough Camaro...somewhere in the 3,300 lb range, a turbo 4 could be a great performer. Especially if they give it 300HP/300TQ or more power.

But with that said, I feel that there could be good space for a V6 in the lineup, and I really hope to see one for several reasons. The current LFX is rated at 323HP, and 278TQ. I don't see why with some tweaking in the 3.6, that can't be raised to somewhere around 330 - 340HP, and 280 - 290 TQ. Keep the gear ratio at the current 3.27, weight around 3,400lbs like the Cadillac ATS and you have yourself a V6 capable of running mid 5s to 60mph and mid to high 13s in the quarter mile. Not to mention, with the lighter weight, I don't see why 30+ mpg on the highway wouldn't be doable.

Lets take that a step further and say they give the car a 7 or 8 speed automatic. That should help performance further, as well as raise hwy MPGs well past the 30 mark. (offtopic, but I hope they keep the tapshift...yes I really enjoy it!)

If we don't see the LFX in the next gen, then I see a case for an engine similar to the new 4.3 going in the Silverado. One bonus about this engine, is the fact that it has cylinder de-activation. I'm betting in a light car, with the proper gears, that it could return some very pleasing MPGs on the highway. Mid to upper 30s easy. Hell, why would you even need a turbo 4 with efficency like that?? For truck duty, that engine is likely cammed and tuned for great torque, and decent horsepower. I'd guess 300+TQ and HP around the same levels. If tweaked for HP, instead of Torque, (similar to how the Ford 5.0 is for Mustang vs. the F150) it should be capable of fantastic numbers.

So here, in my opinion you have the perfect combination of power and efficency. I know to some, nothing less than V8 power will do, and I have no problems with that. But for me, I really love my modded V6. She runs strong. The only big issue I have with the 5th gen is the weight. Some days I drive my (modded) car and think "damn shes running good!" and at other times...I wish I had another 20 - 30 HP/TQ on tap, or about 300+ lbs less weight.

I have no real desire to move to an SS (although I do love that V8 rumble), and with the weight drop that should be coming, I'd buy a V6 all over again. It would be a fantastic car, and don't get me started on how well I think a nicely modded V6 would perform in a light weight Camaro.

So....what do you all think?

EDIT: When I said I see a case for an engine like the new 4.3 V6...I don't actually mean that exact engine. I meant something with the same kind of tech it has. LFX already has direct injection, and cam phasing, but not cylinder deactivation. I realize this is harder to do on a 60 degree engine whereas the 4.3 is a 90 degree engine, but it can be done, as Toyota does it in their Camary.

Last edited by KMPrenger; 04-15-2013 at 03:00 PM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Lots of talk about the possibility of a turbo 4 in the 6th gen (and I'm betting it will happen) and lots of talk about the new LT1.

There is not as much talk about a V6 engine. (not talking turbo V6 here...just N/A)

First off, let me say, that with a light enough Camaro...somewhere in the 3,300 lb range, a turbo 4 could be a great performer. Especially if they give it 300HP/300TQ or more power.

But with that said, I feel that there could be good space for a V6 in the lineup, and I really hope to see one for several reasons. The current LFX is rated at 323HP, and 278TQ. I don't see why with some tweaking in the 3.6, that can't be raised to somewhere around 330 - 340HP, and 280 - 290 TQ. Keep the gear ratio at the current 3.27, weight around 3,400lbs like the Cadillac ATS and you have yourself a V6 capable of running mid 5s to 60mph and mid to high 13s in the quarter mile. Not to mention, with the lighter weight, I don't see why 30+ mpg on the highway wouldn't be doable.

Lets take that a step further and say they give the car a 7 or 8 speed automatic. That should help performance further, as well as raise hwy MPGs well past the 30 mark. (offtopic, but I hope they keep the tapshift...yes I really enjoy it!)

If we don't see the LFX in the next gen, then I see a case for an engine similar to the new 4.3 going in the Silverado. One bonus about this engine, is the fact that it has cylinder de-activation. I'm betting in a light car, with the proper gears, that it could return some very pleasing MPGs on the highway. Mid to upper 30s easy. Hell, why would you even need a turbo 4 with efficency like that?? For truck duty, that engine is likely cammed and tuned for great torque, and decent horsepower. I'd guess 300+TQ and HP around the same levels. If tweaked for HP, instead of Torque, (similar to how the Ford 5.0 is for Mustang vs. the F150) it should be capable of fantastic numbers.

So here, in my opinion you have the perfect combination of power and efficency. I know to some, nothing less than V8 power will do, and I have no problems with that. But for me, I really love my modded V6. She runs strong. The only big issue I have with the 5th gen is the weight. Some days I drive my (modded) car and think "damn shes running good!" and at other times...I wish I had another 20 - 30 HP/TQ on tap, or about 300+ lbs less weight.

I have no real desire to move to an SS (although I do love that V8 rumble), and with the weight drop that should be coming, I'd buy a V6 all over again. It would be a fantastic car, and don't get me started on how well I think a nicely modded V6 would perform in a light weight Camaro.

So....what do you all think?
Personally, I don't think we'll see a N/A V6 in the 6th gen. We definitely won't see the 4.3 in a Camaro.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I hope they are all V6's because I am keeping my fifth gen' SS.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Alrighty Then

Drives: 2010 V6 M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I hope they are all V6's because I am keeping my fifth gen' SS.
Ha, funny stuff.
Alrighty Then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
I'm sure it'll happen if it's economically and financially sound for GM to make a V6 Camaro N/A. If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't.

As Chevrolet would say "Find New Roads"...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
I also don't see the need for 6 cylinder, but only if they offer a 4 cylinder turbo Camaro.
Most people that buy a 6 cylinder Camaro care about MPG and that the car offers 300+HP.(Looks play a major part)
So with a 4 cylinder car with turbo the MPG would be pretty high and performance would be similar or better than what the V6 offers at the moment.
One thing I would hate would be a 7 or 8 speed transmission since it would shift too much.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
I also don't see the need for 6 cylinder, but only if they offer a 4 cylinder turbo Camaro.
Most people that buy a 6 cylinder Camaro care about MPG and that the car offers 300+HP.(Looks play a major part)
So with a 4 cylinder car with turbo the MPG would be pretty high and performance would be similar or better than what the V6 offers at the moment.
One thing I would hate would be a 7 or 8 speed transmission since it would shift too much.
Agreed, cruising in 6th gear on the highway at 73 MPH my RPMs are at 2100, and it is still able to speed up decently while still in 6th. But with 7 or 8 gears it would feel a little gutless to me unless it dropped gears. Just my $0.02
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
You guys are high!!

LOL!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
I would tend to agree (power-wise) that if their turbo offers power in the 300+ range, then it may be difficult to justify a V6.

But if the turbo is not any more powerful than it is in the ATS and the Buick, then I think there is plenty of room for the V6 in the line up, as even a lighter camaro with T4 making 260hp/260-ishTQ wouldn't perform much, if any better than the current V6 does.

I think a 6 speed auto feels just right, but there is no denying that a 7 or 8 speed would increase performance in a straight line and increase MPGs. Just look at what the 8 speed in the charger did for the V6 car...amazing increase in performance. But I also like the tap-shift. I think that would be a LOT of tapping in an 8 speed car lol.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Personally, I don't think we'll see a N/A V6 in the 6th gen. We definitely won't see the 4.3 in a Camaro.
I don't see the 4.3 going in a Camaro either if I was a betting man, but the cylinder de-activation makes sense if they wanted to go for max MPGs and use this engine. The Honda Accord V6 does it, although that engine is not a 4.3

Maybe they will have another all new V6, or maybe they will just update the LFX. Either way, I hope to see a V6.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Like I've been saying, the I-4 is the problem...We may lose the V-6 in the process....and take a step down in performance, but like I keep hearing, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it...lol...
...So much for the additional "harmless" I-4 "option"...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Would you buy this car if it was just a more expensive Honda accord? Yes it looks amazing. But I had a Honda accord and would not want that power back. I hate the idea of putting a 4 cylinder in it. American muscle is supposed to be American muscle, the V6 was even pushing it. They should keep the V8 and V6. No 4 cylinder, no one bought the camaro because of the great gas mileage did they? Buy a Prius.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
Would you buy this car if it was just a more expensive Honda accord? Yes it looks amazing. But I had a Honda accord and would not want that power back. I hate the idea of putting a 4 cylinder in it. American muscle is supposed to be American muscle, the V6 was even pushing it. They should keep the V8 and V6. No 4 cylinder, no one bought the camaro because of the great gas mileage did they? Buy a Prius.
Honda accord? I think not. Not to mention todays turbo 4s absolutely rape the car you had power-wise (unless your going to tell me it was also turbo'd) Anyways....moving on...

Lets try to keep the focus of this discussion on the V6 and not have it turn and decay into a discussion about the 4 cylinder. (that thread has gone way wayyyyyy off track)

Look in many ways I agree with your statement. Its American Muscle...lets throw as much horsepower at it as we can while still keeping it an affordable car.

But we know the car can't exist without a base engine option. The V6 is no slouch..it makes good power and I'm happy with mine, but this is a heavy car. In a lighter car, I'd take the V6 over and over again. Why? Because although I have a nice income, I have other priorities and other expensive hobbies and I'd rather not spend 35K on a car. A 330 - 350HP V6 in a 3,400lb car sounds perfect to me. Make it handle well and feel light on its feet and I'm in heaven.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
(offtopic, but I hope they keep the tapshift...yes I really enjoy it!)
Me too. I only drive using the tapshift. I wish there was a way to make tapshift the default operation so that I didn't have to put into M and then hit the tapshift. I wish you could use tapshift to go into reverse too!

I don't know about a 4cylinder, a little skeptical on that. Also, I might be the minority, but I actually like a heavier car. I like the current size and weight as it is. After walking away from a head on collision through a telephone pole without a scratch, I just feel safer in something heavier, heh.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation