Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #57
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Guy starts this thread by stating, “HELP...”

Guy gets 50+ responses equating to the same thing...(i.e. lawyer up, get your car back and seek restitution)

Guy proceeds to ignore all 50+ comments to leave his car with shade tree mechanic anyway.

There’s no way this ends well.

Mods need to lock this up before it turns into the, “I told you so” thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another thing is, the OP kind of forced his car on the shop, it sounded like the shop is undergoing something and the shop didnt want to be open about it but also knew from the start he wouldn't be able to deliver in the means the OP wanted as the shop rejected him on the first go round. The second go round they accepted it PROBABLY because they needed the money.. after they got his money they returned their attention to whats at hand and put him on the back burner. Why? because they can... all they have to do is just keep sugar coating it, making excuses and the OP will sit here fantasizing about how fast his SS is going to be and keep his own motivation burning and its like he's not going to file a lawsuit on them while his pride and joy is sitting there in pieces and even if he did they have enough time to "throw it back together" ... and get it out the shop - but I highly doubt that the money you invested will be well implemented in this car man.. ..if it were me I would be sueing for a refund and take this as a lesson... when a shop tells you NO the first time, its a red flag... DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR THERE, they will not care about it the way you care about it.. I understand it may be hard finding a shop but something will give... but never ever force stuff like this... its an expensive mistake.

I hope this turns out well for you my friend but I have serious doubts that this is going to work out in your favor... you may never get your money back especially if you take it out the shop as it is even if its barely working. All the shop has to do is say it was custom work and they can never gauruntee it - not exactly like changing an alternator or something... So if you take it back, more than likely all liability is going to fall under yourself... and Im 95% sure its going to need more work once you get it back.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #58
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I have been around this industry for a while, and can tell you that yanking your car and getting a lawyer sounds good on paper, but all it is likely to do is leave you with an empty wallet - first your deposit will be gone, then $300/hour in legal fees (minimum). Contrary to what people think, most performance shops run on a shoestring budget, and basically function off the cash in between deposits and deliveries - the shops with huge mail order business are the exception (which many on this site are). There isn't a magic pile of cash that a lawyer is going to tap into and walk away with a full refund and legal fees.

If you trust the work quality in that shop, and there is any chance of getting your car back and completed as you originally wanted, then I would stick it out and try to get the work done. I know that is unpopular, but unless you can afford to never get your money back, it is probably your best option. Just trying to put some reality in here.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #59
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I have been around this industry for a while, and can tell you that yanking your car and getting a lawyer sounds good on paper, but all it is likely to do is leave you with an empty wallet - first your deposit will be gone, then $300/hour in legal fees (minimum). Contrary to what people think, most performance shops run on a shoestring budget, and basically function off the cash in between deposits and deliveries - the shops with huge mail order business are the exception (which many on this site are). There isn't a magic pile of cash that a lawyer is going to tap into and walk away with a full refund and legal fees.

If you trust the work quality in that shop, and there is any chance of getting your car back and completed as you originally wanted, then I would stick it out and try to get the work done. I know that is unpopular, but unless you can afford to never get your money back, it is probably your best option. Just trying to put some reality in here.
-Geoff
Hmm, I definately agree about the lawyer option, this is why I avoid suing alot of people that need to be sued...but I personally believe the OP is pretty screwed at this point. it really sounds like to me this shop doesn't give a rat about this guys car and will just do whatever they can to deliver something "exceptional" -- but not necessarily... functional.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #60
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
We all know the cost of a lawyer isn’t cheap. However, it is an option. It also pays dividends to have a fee attorney friends.

About 10 yrs ago, I had a terrible experience with a local shop when I lived in GA. I had my car trailered to VA to have the work corrected and done properly. That shop in VA documented everything that was wrong with the car when it arrived from the GA shop. They wrote it on company letterhead that I then submitted to my credit card companies and received all my money back.

I understand trying to be PC when your car is in the shop but if the details are as clear as the OP made it seem then this is a bridge too far.

In my opinion, all of this could have been avoided had the OP done his research. Not all good things are local.

ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #61
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Home sick...feel like crap...So just read all of this.

Unbelievable! So much stupid here , it's simply amazing.

You get what You deserve...Darwin's Theory at work.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #62
51FIFFT

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY @51fifft
I know of a shop that does this type of installs and really sounds like some stories I've heard. I'm in NorCal and I think the shop is 2 hrs from me. OP please inform us so we don't end up with similar issues.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #63
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post

-Geoff
This right here!! I think people commenting are missing the part of him paying $5000 up front! Once you have money invested, in order not to lose that money, sometimes you have to hope for the best... I was in the same predicament if you read my story earlier in this post. I had $3000 in upfront. Yanking my car at that point would of most definitely lost my deposit. People always say what they would do, but until you are in that situation, things change. Hope it all works out for the OP
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #64
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Normally when you pay money down upfront, its to cover the cost of the parts that the shop will order for the install. It seems pretty obvious that you would want the parts that were paid for upfront and the car back, presuming the shop actually ordered the parts in the first place. If they did not order your parts, that would be another sign of a less than ethical business. Further, if the shop has done nothing due to being too busy, they should have no problem returning your car and refunding your money or giving you your car plus parts.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #65
Swayse

Drives: GTPP
I did some diesel performance stuff on the side, in my slow months, for a few years. I'd never wanna do that full time, and try to make a living doing that. Guys that want mods done, and don't know how to do it themselves, don't understand the mechanical side of things, and are a pain in the butt.

I know, hindsight is 20/20, but if you want fast and can't work on it yourself, buy fast and leave it stock.
Swayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #66
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
We all know the cost of a lawyer isn’t cheap. However, it is an option. It also pays dividends to have a fee attorney friends.

About 10 yrs ago, I had a terrible experience with a local shop when I lived in GA. I had my car trailered to VA to have the work corrected and done properly. That shop in VA documented everything that was wrong with the car when it arrived from the GA shop. They wrote it on company letterhead that I then submitted to my credit card companies and received all my money back.

I understand trying to be PC when your car is in the shop but if the details are as clear as the OP made it seem then this is a bridge too far.

In my opinion, all of this could have been avoided had the OP done his research. Not all good things are local.

Doing what a lawyer does is cheap and only costs you time. You can much of what they would do. You gather evidence, you attest that each peice of evidence is a true original or copy of an original. You make and sign statements alluding to all of your interactions and communications. You get names and dates of everyone that you talked to and build a timeline. You get your receipts and have them organized. You send letters to the shop stating what happened, that you are serving them official notice, and that they have 10 days to tell you how they are going to return your car in the original condition/compensate you or that you'll be processing the matter without the benefit of their statement, or something to that effect. You send these letters certified and regular mail, if the regular doesn't come back, it means they simply didn't sign for the certified and you can presume they got it, if they sign for the certified, it means they got it. Most businesses will get "straight" real fast when they sniff out that you are preparing for legal action. The ones that don't are the ones that get creamed in court, by their own actions or lack thereof. I'm not a lawyer, but I know a thing or two about building cases...
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #67
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayse View Post
I did some diesel performance stuff on the side, in my slow months, for a few years. I'd never wanna do that full time, and try to make a living doing that. Guys that want mods done, and don't know how to do it themselves, don't understand the mechanical side of things, and are a pain in the butt.

READ THIS BELOW IT IS EPIC

I know, hindsight is 20/20, but if you want fast and can't work on it yourself, buy fast and leave it stock.

READ THIS ABOVE IT IS EPIC

that is what I did, a 50th grey 2SS and a 2016 corvette 2LT base DSOM
now back to the original programming

the stig eh
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #68
shadyemx

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Its hard guys. I'm not bailing or trolling. I know an install for a supercharger should not take this long. My car is buried deep in his shop with at least 3 cars blocking it in with front end still off last time I checked a week ago. Im going to use this as thread against him because its catching lots of attention so I really appreciate the input. It has really been a nightmare experience and I hope no one experiences this.
shadyemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:04 AM   #69
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyemx View Post
Its hard guys. I'm not bailing or trolling. I know an install for a supercharger should not take this long. My car is buried deep in his shop with at least 3 cars blocking it in with front end still off last time I checked a week ago. Im going to use this as thread against him because its catching lots of attention so I really appreciate the input. It has really been a nightmare experience and I hope no one experiences this.
Hire a flatbed or rent a truck and trailer and go get your car. According to your original post, her turned you away twice and tried a third time, but you forced the car on him by leaving it. That was a really bad idea, I'm sorry to say. Your car is obviously not on his priority list, nor will it ever be, and if the you or the car is not a priority, I assure you, doing a quality job on it is not a priority either.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:09 AM   #70
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Strong username to thread content ratio
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote