Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Cancelled OnStar today..

For those of you that have OnStar, you may have seen a price increase lately. I normally pay $10.81 monthly, but today a charge for $27.04 showed up on my AMEX. I thought that was weird, so I contacted them. They said they no longer have the safe and sound package and that it is called something different now. They gave me the run down and I obliged hoping it was something worth the $27 monthly. I didn't hear any kind of change other than you can locate your car in real time. I thought about it for about 5 seconds and asked to cancel. They transferred me to another fellow and he immediately offers me a "winter special" for $60/6 months. I declined and cancelled. The only reason I had it to begin with is because they kept offering cut rates. I understand they offered a cut rate again, but I do not see myself ever using it. I hope I don't regret cancelling. I doubt it.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
It's like $50-60 per 6 months, pay by check and never give them a credit card.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
It's like $50-60 per 6 months, pay by check and never give them a credit card.
It's too late. I gave them a card number when I first bought the car 09/2012. It doesn't appear to be cancelled yet so I'm sure I'll have to call them again. I heard giving them a card is a nightmare.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
yes-pay by check-if you use a card they can hit it up any time.I pay by check once a year and be done.
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
BlkCamaroVert

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99 Vert IO Interior
The lowest priced plan on mine is $19.99 plus taxes. If I tell them I want to cancel will they offer me the $10 a month plan?
BlkCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroVert View Post
The lowest priced plan on mine is $19.99 plus taxes. If I tell them I want to cancel will they offer me the $10 a month plan?
Yes
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I pay it by the year to save $ plus I get the GM Family discount so its not too bad. I have it on 2 vehicles and I did notice 1 upgraded when it renewed but 1 did not.
So I can locate My truck in real time but can't locate the Camaro yet until it renews I guess.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
BlkCamaroVert

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99 Vert IO Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
I pay it by the year to save $ plus I get the GM Family discount so its not too bad. I have it on 2 vehicles and I did notice 1 upgraded when it renewed but 1 did not.
So I can locate My truck in real time but can't locate the Camaro yet until it renews I guess.
What good is the location service? It just locates it on a map in my Android software. It's not like it would help me find he car in a parking lot.
BlkCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroVert View Post
What good is the location service? It just locates it on a map in my Android software. It's not like it would help me find he car in a parking lot.
Actually its not that bad and it had nothing to do with Me keeping Onstar just an added perk.

I just located My wife at Lowes and it does show the row in the parking lot and the rough location. I'm guessing it depends on how well Google maps are refined in your area.
However beware when doing this it really tends to piss off the wife if you tell her. She thinks I'm spying on her. She was really late the other day from work so I tracked the truck. When she got home she said " why didn't you call to check why I was late?" I said I could see your truck was still at work so I didn't need to...um...bad move
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
call and tell them you are taking the car off the road for a few months. It worked for me in 2013 when i took the car off the road for winter. they said just call back when i put it back on the road. I never did and they havent contacted me since. The may have changed there policy though. XM will automatically turn it back on in 6mo unless you tell them you need it off longer As I did because of back surgery.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
I just keep tabs on the wife using her iPhone location, lol
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Hey what's your address,where's your spare key, and what time do you fall asleep?
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
OnStar never seemed worth it to me. I cancelled as soon as my freebe was over. Haven't missed it a bit.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
OnStar never seemed worth it to me. I cancelled as soon as my freebe was over. Haven't missed it a bit.
This will probably be my move as well. I've yet to use it, or even be inclined to. Away it goes after the trial.