Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
nikeair042
VENOM

Drives: Pontiac G8
$50,000 2SS? Is there a better option?

With the pricing announcement yesterday, it got me thinking. The 2SS is probably going to come in somewhere in the $39K range (at least). I figure most people (like myself) will add maybe $3k-$5k in options, so lets just say the car comes to $43K. By the time you add in dealer fee's and all the BS fee's, you tack on another $1K. Now you are at $44K before taxes. Depending on what state you live and how you pay tax, the car could cost you almost $50K out the door.

My question is, if you were going to spend $50K on a car, would it be a Camaro or something else? I feel like $50K for an SS is a lot considering the ZL1 starts around $52K (I think). Would you be better off buying a used Z06 Corvette, or a used CTS-V? Maybe a year or 2 old ZL1?

I think the pricing is just going to be a bit to high that people might say "ya know what, if I'm spending $50K on a SS Camaro, why not spend a couple thousand more and get a brand new Corvette." They may have priced it so people look elsewhere. Personally I can't fathom spending almost $50K for an SS.
Appearance Mods: Red painted calipers, 20% Rear Tint, 35% Side Tint, front side marker tint, G8 GT Visor decals, V8 Badge, L76 oil cap, Roto-Fab Radiator cover, G8 GT Badge, shorty antenna, CF intake tube, CF plenum cover, GXP rear diffuser, red/black shifter, SLP black spoiler, gloss black roof
Performance Mods: Roto-Fab intake, Borla Cat-Back exhaust, hood-vent mod, VMS Tune, 160*, SLP LT headers, Camaro brembo's and rotors, BMR suspension parts, Eibach springs
nikeair042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
I personally would never do that after this 1ss im ordering im saving for a 8th generation camaro, i know its early to say that but only way im ever getting a vette is if i put 20 down cash
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeair042 View Post
With the pricing announcement yesterday, it got me thinking. The 2SS is probably going to come in somewhere in the $39K range (at least). I figure most people (like myself) will add maybe $3k-$5k in options, so lets just say the car comes to $43K. By the time you add in dealer fee's and all the BS fee's, you tack on another $1K. Now you are at $44K before taxes. Depending on what state you live and how you pay tax, the car could cost you almost $50K out the door.

My question is, if you were going to spend $50K on a car, would it be a Camaro or something else? I feel like $50K for an SS is a lot considering the ZL1 starts around $52K (I think). Would you be better off buying a used Z06 Corvette, or a used CTS-V? Maybe a year or 2 old ZL1?

I think the pricing is just going to be a bit to high that people might say "ya know what, if I'm spending $50K on a SS Camaro, why not spend a couple thousand more and get a brand new Corvette." They may have priced it so people look elsewhere. Personally I can't fathom spending almost $50K for an SS.
^
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Not if you want a new car optioned the way you want. Sure, you can always find a used car cheaper than a new car, but it's used and you will generally have to compromise in some way.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
I originally wanted a used ZL1 but decided to wait to see the Camaro Six. I'd still be very happy finding a good deal on a used ZL1. With the new pricing I'm thinking about it again since well... it is a ZL1! Haha. I'd probably get a 2012 and put the 2014-15 rear lights on which I like a lot more and harken back to the 1st gen lights better. I'd throw on the Z28 diffuser also, I love the exhaust ports. BUT, I do love the Six. Got to sit in at the St. Catherine's show couple weeks back. Beauty. I want to see performance and track numbers on the Six before I make a final decision.
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Get the 1SS. Once the initial buying frenzy calms down you can get it for invoice, say $36K with the dual mode. What else do you really need.

Just because they keep coming up with new options doesn't mean we have to buy them. V8, loud exhaust, AC and a stereo are the important bits (and actually, with NPP I almost never listen to the stereo anyway). The rest is just fluff.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:

First of all, in what state is the sales tax 15%? That's what it would take to get from 44K to 50K.

Secondly, you are going to have to tack on all the same stuff regardless of car - so I guess i'm confused as to what your point is.

Go price out a BMW or whatever and by the time you've added all the stuff you want your looking at another 15K.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
$44k is where the market is for a premium American muscle car.
Scat pack, GT optioned, 2SS all $44k-ish.

Sweet spot for price used IMO is a 2013 2SS 1LE for under $30k.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Obsessed 17

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
I would say a used ZL1 with mods, or 13-14 GT500, or base GT350, or 13-14 Audi S5 with mods (e.g., pulley tune), or base mustang gt with 700+ hp whipple kit, or maybe base corvette stingray, or used Mercedes c63amg with aftermarket supercharger, or older BMW M3 with supercharger, or BMW 335i with tune and exhaust... I could go on.
Obsessed 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
You can play that game at any price point. Doesn't matter whether its 50k or 40k or 30k. There will always be used cars that perform better and/or have more features.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Kind of doing a lot of rounding up with your numbers here, any car you then get for 50k would then have all the taxes and fees you just added so you would be chasing your tail to 100k moon with that logic lol

With that said, I don't think you will get anything better for that money, GM is not dumb that did their homework and know what they can get, they decided to go up market. In a way, I think they will make the Camaro SS a little more exclusive
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #12
garnet

Drives: Q50
I am sure it is possible to order a base Corvette, but when doing a 75-mile radius search on Autotrader, there is one 2015 Vette for 58k, and the other 30+ are mid 60s to 100k. I called a local high-volume Ford dealer about the 2016 GT350 last weekend, they are getting 2 only and will be asking 15k dealer markup.

The 2SS will undoubtedly be a bit more than most of us hoped, but I believe considering the power output and standard amenities, it is not at a surprising price point.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #13
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:

A current generation ZL1 is $55K with a manual stick shift. Plus the insurance will be even more for that car.

The next Gen ZL1 will end up being just as optioned as the 2SS plus more and will most likely line up just behind the Z06 in price.

The 2SS I have ordered with tax and delivery comes in at $52K. That is just shy of a ZL1's base price and if you add tax and delivery the 2015 ZL1 is still $10K more than the car I am getting.That's a lot.

The biggest issue with higher end cars is the up keep. I plan on using my car as a daily driver. If I got a ZL1 or a better I would be buying breaks and tires a lot more often. Honestly that upkeep cost is a lot over a 2SS.

Now a few people are saying ' I'd rather get a BMW for that price' meh it's a BMW... I just don't get the argument.

In the end, set your top spending price and get the car your going to love obviously within reason.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #14
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed 17 View Post
I would say a used ZL1 with mods, or 13-14 GT500, or base GT350, or 13-14 Audi S5 with mods (e.g., pulley tune), or base mustang gt with 700+ hp whipple kit, or maybe base corvette stingray, or used Mercedes c63amg with aftermarket supercharger, or older BMW M3 with supercharger, or BMW 335i with tune and exhaust... I could go on.
All of which would not have a warranty. Supercharging cars that are not built for it reduces the reliability in the long run. You also run the risk of how that owner took care of it.

If you don't care about the new perks of the interior, snag a 2015 2SS or a used ZL1.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote