Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
There was a report on this forum that that the C6 SS would have performance equal to the current ZL1. We will see I guess.
I think you misread something.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #16
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
Quote:
There was a report on this forum that that the C6 SS would have performance equal to the current ZL1. We will see I guess.
The quote was "if you like the current ZL1 you are going to love the new SS". It could mean lots of things...
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
His comments were more platform related leading many to thing mag ride and handling

Quote:
If you think about Z/28 and ZL1, SS -- think about the satisfaction that a ZL1 offers you today off of current Zeta. Think about that satisfaction moved down from an accessibility and model-range standpoint. Think about that. If you like the ZL1 today, you're going to love the SS tomorrow. Think about that from a philosophical standpoint.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1412_gm_...#ixzz3KwufH8OD

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I don't think the LT1 will keep up with a twin turbo 6.. I'll still take the LT1 though.
Do you have any basis for that? They make identical HP and the LT1 makes more torque. All the indications are both engines weigh nearly the same. Since we haven't seen a dyno chart on the LF4, there's no basis to believe it would make a similar car faster than one with the LT1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Does more gears equal faster car? I don't think so. I figured they are slapping on more gears to help with the gas mileage.
You are right, gearing does make the difference. Look at the C7 Vette. 3.9 in the manual vs 3.7 in the auto. The 8spd has a taller 1st gear resulting in quicker launch and not shifting as close to 60 as the manual.

We have to remember the SS will likely be "de-tuned" to not match the Vette. I say 4.0-4.2 should be a reasonable target.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #19
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Does more gears equal faster car? I don't think so. I figured they are slapping on more gears to help with the gas mileage.
Not always, but in these cars...more than likely that answer will be yes. Look at the Dodge Charger and when they went to an 8 speed. I think the V6 model lost somewhere around a full second in 0 - 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSHOOTtheMOON View Post
Low end torque on a V8 is hard to beat. Unless there is a feature on the TTV6 to implement boost at low RPM.
A TTV6 will make more low end torque than a V8...when set up for it. Turbo factory cars are usually made for peak torque in the low to midrange rpm, therefore giving up some peak HP and TQ for better numbers down low. They use smaller turbos, which spool up fast and provide that low end torque, and helping to reduce turbo lag (which I hear the LF3/LF4 hardly has any). Go look up a dyno run for the CTS V-Sport...makes huge torque down low.

Its when you add bigger turbos is when you will give up low end power for high top end numbers.

Quote:
yeah, I know more gears COULD mean it's faster. it all depends on the actual gearing. I'm just saying, more gears doesn't automatically mean it's faster.
True that...but...what I said above lol.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #20
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If they can keep the weight down, I don't see why the SS should be any slower than the ATS-V. I don't know if the torque curve of the LT1 gives up much over the LF4 but I can't imagine it being enough to have the SS be significantly slower.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 AM   #21
Ant_ss

Drives: 14 1SS RS Black (rental)
Low to mid 4 seconds
Ant_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:22 AM   #22
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Do you have any basis for that? They make identical HP and the LT1 makes more torque. All the indications are both engines weigh nearly the same. Since we haven't seen a dyno chart on the LF4, there's no basis to believe it would make a similar car faster than one with the LT1.

You are right, gearing does make the difference. Look at the C7 Vette. 3.9 in the manual vs 3.7 in the auto. The 8spd has a taller 1st gear resulting in quicker launch and not shifting as close to 60 as the manual.

We have to remember the SS will likely be "de-tuned" to not match the Vette. I say 4.0-4.2 should be a reasonable target.

There was someone on the forum that said that the LT1 is actually lighter than the LF4, I don't know where they got their facts from though.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #23
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The various mags that have been comparing the new GM 8-speed auto vs the old 6-speed have all knocked off a tenth or two from the 0-60 and up to a half second off the 1/4 mile. Most of the articles I've read have been on the pickups and SUVs with the most recent a GMC Yukon. I'll have to grab some links.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Not arguing, just wondering. Why would they have to de-tune the Camaro? It should weigh 300-400lbs more than the Vette with higher CG. Even with the same power, I can't imagine it would match the vette in anything.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #25
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
There was someone on the forum that said that the LT1 is actually lighter than the LF4, I don't know where they got their facts from though.
Escalade with the 8 speed is down to 5.6 seconds 0-60. That's astonishing. Half a second quicker than the 6 speed.

Edit.. Quoted wrong person.

Last edited by ChefBorOzzy; 03-10-2015 at 09:16 AM.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
Not arguing, just wondering. Why would they have to de-tune the Camaro? It should weigh 300-400lbs more than the Vette with higher CG. Even with the same power, I can't imagine it would match the vette in anything.
Has been that historically for the last few generations I know. 4th Gen F-bodies were rated up to 50hp lower than Vette at the time. C6 was rated at 430hp while the 5th Gen Camaro was at 426hp for the manual. No reason to expect it won't continue. There's never been an official reason given for it, but most agree they don't want the Camaro to appear as fast as the Vette to the uneducated buyer, you know the mid life crisis guy who typically buys the Vette

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #27
87GNX

Drives: Alot
4.4-4.6 first year.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #28
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Has been that historically for the last few generations I know. 4th Gen F-bodies were rated up to 50hp lower than Vette at the time. C6 was rated at 430hp while the 5th Gen Camaro was at 426hp for the manual. No reason to expect it won't continue. There's never been an official reason given for it, but most agree they don't want the Camaro to appear as fast as the Vette to the uneducated buyer, you know the mid life crisis guy who typically buys the Vette
4 hp difference between the 5th gen ls3 and the vette ls3 doesn't mean it was detuned, that most likely was a result of exhaust routing and such.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote