Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #57
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
You know... I too was considering the Shelby GT500 in 07 ,but with the 47K sticker and the freakin dealers tacking 10-20k on, I bought this instead,

now it's Camaro time !!!
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #58
ProchargedSS

Drives: 2014 ZL1 SIM
Wow. Now that's a car!!!
ProchargedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #59
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Now I've heard just about everything! A '97 C1500 truck can outhandle a Mustang on a sharp turn by 10 mph!?!

C'mon dude, what do you take the readers of this forum for?

Keep it real.

ok don't believe me thats cool, i guess i just feel more comfortable in my truck then in her 99 mustang. i'm not saying you cant do it because i have, but i slid off into a corn field before i could straighten her back up. so its possible to do it but just not the car for me
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #60
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
just listen to this man and anything that he says, and your all good
i second this notion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post
You know... I too was considering the Shelby GT500 in 07 ,but with the 47K sticker and the freakin dealers tacking 10-20k on, I bought this instead,

now it's Camaro time !!!
Beautiful 1969 chevelle ss ooo 396 what hp rating is it at?, 325,350, or 375 :P
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #61
vcguitar185

Drives: 2002 Ford Mustang
You can get the SS and use the extra for performance upgrade to blow the doors off that Shelby!
vcguitar185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #62
ProchargedSS

Good point. I'm gonna mod either to the hilt anyway. Just gotta decide which platform.

Victory Red 2SS with CGM stripes or Grabber Blue Shelby with white stripes. Still can't believe I'm even considering a Mudstain. My dad may disown me!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #63
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO_Chevy View Post
i second this notion

Beautiful 1969 chevelle ss ooo 396 what hp rating is it at?, 325,350, or 375 :P
Well... from the factory it was an L34 (350 hp)....now it's close to 425
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #64
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
From your post it seems to me that you will only ultimately be happy with the Camaro, if you was to get the GT500 I think you would end up regretting it after envying the Camaros everytime you seen one. Also just look at the 2 and the Camaro in looks, it's the only choice IMO. No Bias here though! lol. GL and whatever you choose they are both good cars, just that the Camaro rules! LMAO

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #65
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Coming from a GT500 owner's perspective and not from a looking-from-the-sidelines perspective, I'll give you my opinion.

The 2010 Camaro is a great looking, great performing vehicle right off the showroom floor. I can understand, given your past experience with all things GM, why you would have doubts about buying a GT500 rather than a Camaro.

There were a few statements you made that makes me think the GT500 would be the better car for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProchargedSS View Post
... I have kids that really love riding in my cars. Gotta have a back seat.
Quote:
Good point. I'm gonna mod either to the hilt anyway. Just gotta decide which platform.
Quote:
I'm really a horsepower guy...
Like you, I have young children that I like to take with me and who enjoy riding with me to events, shows, cruise-ins, etc. and that rules out buying a better all-around performer than the GT500 or Camaro like the Viper or Corvette. While I would not want to put an adult in the back of either car, both the Camaro and the GT500 offer more than enough room for kids.

Secondly, it sounds like whatever you settle on, you are not going to leave it stock for long. If that is, indeed, the case, then the GT500 offers you a much better base to work with as delivered from the factory with its forged engine internals and the fuel/drivetrain to support any added horsepower you may want to add. My car makes over 700rwhp and I currently run the stock injectors, pumps, exhaust, transmission, rear end, etc. It took me less than $6000 to take the car from 440rwhp to the 740rwhp it has now. I highly, highly doubt you will be able to get a Camaro to the same power level for less than $15K.

Not only that, any money you spend to get the Camaro there will be directly out of your pocket. People like to talk smack about how they could "take the $7-10K they saved by buying the SS versus the GT500" and mod the Camaro, but 1)a majority don't have $7-10K in liquid cash to spend on modifications and 2)they would be idiots to finance vehicle modifications. With the GT500 you are buying a car that is ready to support up to 800+rwhp right off the showroom floor.

Absolutely, you could spend less to get the SS up to the power level of a stock GT500, but how many people who buy GT500's actually leave them stock? Probably those who's cars will never see a track or any stoplight-to-stoplight action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
but I have Heard the Solid rear axle is very bad for public roads, Irs is good for everyday driving

your on a camaro site what response do you think your gonna get?
I have not had any issues with any of the public roads I drive on and the difference between the ride and handling of my previous IRS 2006 GTO and the GT500 is hardly noticed. I figure the Camaro will be better than the GTO setup, but in normal driving conditions, it should likely be a non-factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
First: Go drive a Mustang -- and then drive a Camaro............
Absolutely. This is the only way you can make an educated decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Next: Yup - the post shown above talks about the 'rarity' of a Shelby.

May I suggest you call Berger Chevy in Grand Rapids, Michigan - or Earnhardt Chevy in North Carolina -- or Hendrick Chevy in North Carolina -- or Tom Henry Chevy in Pennsylvania --

...........ALL of these dealers - -plus many more -- will be offering performance enhancements -- and they will make small change of the Shelby.....and long-term, they will be 'rare' - moreso than Shelby.....
Do not buy a car for what you think its future value will be. New cars are not investments, they are liabilities. If you are looking for a rare car, don't buy any current Mustang or Camaro. This should be a non-issue in your buying decision, IMHO.

Quote:
There are more Mustang fans on here than I expected. Ha!

I think I'm gonna try to be patient enough to make a good decision. My first instinct and heart say to stick with the Camaro. My right foot really wants a GT500.
If you're like me, your right foot usually wins the battle. I can tell you, my right foot is VERY happy with the GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
GT500 is NOT... at the SS's level. You seem to know that just saying. I get tired of comparing the two because GM never designed the 2 SS options to go up against that. It has a 3rd party powertrain it's not a 100% pure like the SS is. So it's apples vs oranges.
As it has already been pointed out, you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
If Mustang makes you happy then that's the pursuit. But just don't expect to get looks. You might know numbers but 99% of people will yawn when they see that tired design Ford picked for the new gen stang.
If you don't think you will get looks in the GT500, then you are in denial. Yes, the Camaro is sexy, but, in time, it too will become a tired design. That's the nature of the game. Heck, I know a lot of people that already feel the 2010 Camaro is already "old" and they have not even hit the street in any numbers yet.

Last edited by garagelogic; 04-12-2009 at 08:30 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #66
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post
Well... from the factory it was an L34 (350 hp)....now it's close to 425
Nice beautiful car again
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #67
ProchargedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Coming from a GT500 owner's perspective and not from a looking-from-the-sidelines perspective, I'll give you my opinion.

The 2010 Camaro is a great looking, great performing vehicle right off the showroom floor. I can understand, given your past experience with all things GM, why you would have doubts about buying a GT500 rather than a Camaro.

There were a few statements you made that makes me think the GT500 would be the better car for you.

Like you, I have young children that I like to take with me and who enjoy riding with me to events, shows, cruise-ins, etc. and that rules out buying a better all-around performer than the GT500 or Camaro like the Viper or Corvette. While I would not want to put an adult in the back of either car, both the Camaro and the GT500 offer more than enough room for kids.

Secondly, it sounds like whatever you settle on, you are not going to leave it stock for long. If that is, indeed, the case, then the GT500 offers you a much better base to work with as delivered from the factory with its forged engine internals and the fuel/drivetrain to support any added horsepower you may want to add. My car makes over 700rwhp and I currently run the stock injectors, pumps, exhaust, transmission, rear end, etc. It took me less than $6000 to take the car from 440rwhp to the 740rwhp it has now. I highly, highly doubt you will be able to get a Camaro to the same power level for less than $15K.

Not only that, any money you spend to get the Camaro there will be directly out of your pocket. People like to talk smack about how they could "take the $7-10K they saved by buying the SS versus the GT500" and mod the Camaro, but 1)a majority don't have $7-10K in liquid cash to spend on modifications and 2)they would be idiots to finance vehicle modifications. With the GT500 you are buying a car that is ready to support up to 800+rwhp right off the showroom floor.

Absolutely, you could spend less to get the SS up to the power level of a stock GT500, but how many people who buy GT500's actually leave them stock? Probably those who's cars will never see a track or any stoplight-to-stoplight action.

I have not had any issues with any of the public roads I drive on and the difference between the ride and handling of my previous IRS 2006 GTO and the GT500 is hardly noticed. I figure the Camaro will be better than the GTO setup, but in normal driving conditions, it should likely be a non-factor.

Absolutely. This is the only way you can make an educated decision.

Do not buy a car for what you think its future value will be. New cars are not investments, they are liabilities. If you are looking for a rare car, don't buy any current Mustang or Camaro. This should be a non-issue in your buying decision, IMHO.

If you're like me, your right foot usually wins the battle. I can tell you, my right foot is VERY happy with the GT500.

As it has laready been pointed out, you don't know what you are talking about.

If you don't think you will get looks in the GT500, then you are in denial. Yes, the Camaro is sexy, but, in time, it too will become a tired design. That's the nature of the game. Heck, I know a lot of people that already feel the 2010 Camaro is already "old" and they have not even hit the street in any numbers yet.
Wow, thanks for the insight. I noticed your avatar. Are you gonna be getting a SS in addition to the GT500? Just curious.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #68
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the insight. I noticed your avatar. Are you gonna be getting a SS in addition to the GT500? Just curious.
That's the plan. Probably looking at some time this fall before that happens, however. If everything works out as planned, financially, my wife may very well trade her 2005 Crossfire convertible in on a Challenger before I get my Camaro.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #69
ProchargedSS

Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #70
MustangMnky

Drives: 2004 Mustang GT
I think garagelogic makes plenty of good points, being that I have a mustang, prally makes me biased as well, but, I would think the the GT500 would be easily the choice, with your preferences...a.k.a. the kids and mods.

The Shelby is mean az heck on the road too. You will DEFINETELY get looks, no matter what they say, it's way too hard to look away from somethang so darn pretty...

I think In my position, I'd take the camaro, but I drive alone.
MustangMnky is offline   Reply With Quote