Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
nick_casper

Drives: 16 2SS
You need a catch can.

I put on 2500 miles without a catch can and as you can see, a lot of oil gets in. The good news is none made it past the intercoolers and my valves and intake ports are perfectly clean. Now I'm shopping for a catch can.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
A good reminder for us PD owners. A mucked up set of intercoolers would not be a welcomed condition. Not to mention the other issues with blow by.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
And we have a system designed just for the LT4 engines that addresses all of this. The intake valve coking is also happening. The splashes on the cover don't show enough. Look down into the webbing and see how much is there already:

And as you can see with this brick at 14k miles from a Maggie PD it does not take long to bake on a "varnish" that not only insulates and reduces heat transfer, but also restricts flow through over time:

Nick, let us know and we will give you a system at discount if you track and document the results. We trap 95% plus of the oil and other compounds, most other brands only come in around 15-30% max. So the right system is critical on these new GDI engines.

LS valve at 142,000 miles with port injection:

LT valve at 5500 miles:

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
And empty it often. Got a little lazy and didn't check for almost 3000 miles and was nearly full. I am sure our humid summer weather played role but I was surprised how much was in there.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
nick_casper

I already ordered mine. I did some searches and did not find a unit that fits with the Whipple since the new coolant fill tank is where the Mishimoto mounts. If you have a direct fit unit I would have jumped on it had I known. Phastek is a great source for our cars but I only saw the Mishimoto on their site.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
shinysun

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I have a catch can , but the situation is the similar to you.

If Elite Catch can has the better performance, I better change .
shinysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We have several different mounting solutions for the Gen6 PD blowers. For the LT4 we have a special adapter designed just for the LT4.

Also, there is no more effective separation system on the market period than our E2-X series. it traps 95-98% of all of the oil, water, acid, and other compounds from ingestion. Compare to most other cans that come in at 15-30% range. Anyone can test this to see firsthand. Simply start with both cans cleaned of all residue. Place the E2-X inline AFTER any other design and run for 2k miles. Drain both cans and document what each trapped (in most cases we catch more than the first can and that's AFTER the vapors have passed through the first one). Then, clean both of all residue so all is fair and accurate and install the E2-X first in line and the other design second. Almost nothing gets past the E2-X series, and it does it without flow restriction or other issues. All while maintaining a emissions compliant closed system. (NOT CA approved yet).

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
I installed a Whipple supercharger and the first one was bad I had to pull the heads. my Camaro only had about 1,800 miles on it at the time and I could not believe how much build-up there was already on the valves and pistons. You can look at my build thread for the pictures.

I would be interested in this as well because if there was that much build-up in my motor from just 1800 miles I can't imagine what another 10,000 would be like!!

Nick I think I'm going to pull my lid and take a look too.

I don't see any link to the product though.. while looking on my phone...
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sMetalDude View Post
I installed a Whipple supercharger and the first one was bad I had to pull the heads. my Camaro only had about 1,800 miles on it at the time and I could not believe how much build-up there was already on the valves and pistons. You can look at my build thread for the pictures.

I would be interested in this as well because if there was that much build-up in my motor from just 1800 miles I can't imagine what another 10,000 would be like!!

Rob, You DON'T have a can???? Dude, put something there. Check my Whipple, catch can thread. It's a thought.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
80sMetalDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
Rob, You DON'T have a can???? Dude, put something there. Check my Whipple, catch can thread. It's a thought.
I blew it off because I thought we had a factory one....
Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
nick_casper

Quote:
I blew it off because I thought we had a factory one....
Same. But obviously the factory one is not enough. I really hope the Mishimoto is good enough.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #12
AxiomVerge

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black M6 1SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
And we have a system designed just for the LT4 engines that addresses all of this. The intake valve coking is also happening. The splashes on the cover don't show enough. Look down into the webbing and see how much is there already:

And as you can see with this brick at 14k miles from a Maggie PD it does not take long to bake on a "varnish" that not only insulates and reduces heat transfer, but also restricts flow through over time:

Nick, let us know and we will give you a system at discount if you track and document the results. We trap 95% plus of the oil and other compounds, most other brands only come in around 15-30% max. So the right system is critical on these new GDI engines.

LS valve at 142,000 miles with port injection:

LT valve at 5500 miles:

Does your catch can work with a Maggie? Also can you provide a link?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
2008 Corvette Convertible
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
AxiomVerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #13
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:

Why did you pull the heads for a Whipple install?
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:11 AM   #14
80sMetalDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
Why did you pull the heads for a Whipple install?
Take a look at my build thread (most here know about that one that were interested in the Whipple or had one.) First one had an issue sent aluminum through the intake as the rotors became an aluminum lathe and we had to tear down the motor to do metal intrusion remediation. It was a mess.

I'm on Whipple #2... rock solid so far.... hitting strip first time today. We shall see.

Reference Link:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492197