Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 08-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
soldes

Drives: car
Question about Xpel on T4 or V6

Has anyone put Xpel on their turbo 4 or V6? If so would you share some pictures? My car is getting the bumper Xpel'd on wednesday and I'm a bit nervous about it. Here in Belgium it's not that common to do so but I do most of my commute on the highway and the nose of this car is a rock magnet which I can't stand to see.
The shop is Xpel certified. They will wash clay and polish the car. They will use a pre cut sheet and trim as needed so I assume they don't use the pre cut samples you find on the Xpel website.
My car is also Modesta coated (tep I'm doing it all wrong). Will the polish, buffing be sufficient to remove the coating and assure a good adhesion of the film?
I see Xpel also monitors the forum so maybe they kan chip in on this last question?
I just read too many horror stories about bad installers and don't want to mess up my car. The shop is going to take 2 days (drying inclusive) and my car will probably be the cheapest they will ever get in (they work on Ferraris, Aston Martins, Porsches, Mclarens,....) so I assume they are reputable and know what they are doing. They also know about the coating and said buffing should take care of it.
Sorry for the long read, I just want to be well prepared with my demands and questions when I go in.
Btw the front nose will cost around 900€
Cheers,
Nick
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
XPEL

Drives: All Makes and Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldes View Post
Has anyone put Xpel on their turbo 4 or V6? If so would you share some pictures? My car is getting the bumper Xpel'd on wednesday and I'm a bit nervous about it. Here in Belgium it's not that common to do so but I do most of my commute on the highway and the nose of this car is a rock magnet which I can't stand to see.
The shop is Xpel certified. They will wash clay and polish the car. They will use a pre cut sheet and trim as needed so I assume they don't use the pre cut samples you find on the Xpel website.
My car is also Modesta coated (tep I'm doing it all wrong). Will the polish, buffing be sufficient to remove the coating and assure a good adhesion of the film?
I see Xpel also monitors the forum so maybe they kan chip in on this last question?
I just read too many horror stories about bad installers and don't want to mess up my car. The shop is going to take 2 days (drying inclusive) and my car will probably be the cheapest they will ever get in (they work on Ferraris, Aston Martins, Porsches, Mclarens,....) so I assume they are reputable and know what they are doing. They also know about the coating and said buffing should take care of it.
Sorry for the long read, I just want to be well prepared with my demands and questions when I go in.
Btw the front nose will cost around 900€
Cheers,
Nick
Soldes,

Thank you for mentioning us and we would be glad to answer your question. The polishing process will indeed remove the coating on your Camaro. It will create an ideal surface for the film, as the paint will now allow the film to have better adhesion. If you have any more questions feel free to let us know.
XPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
soldes

Thank you for the reply, it gives me piece of mind. Now I just need to make sure I don't end up with the visual split line next to the headlights as seen on some of the installs shown on this forum.
Nick
Old 08-13-2017, 12:32 AM   #4
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Soldes,

Thank you for mentioning us and we would be glad to answer your question. The polishing process will indeed remove the coating on your Camaro. It will create an ideal surface for the film, as the paint will now allow the film to have better adhesion. If you have any more questions feel free to let us know.
Hi XPEL,

Thanks for posting.

How do you prevent/eliminate the "Orange Peel" on some of the XPEL installs that I've seen?

Btw, do you have any Camaro6 promotional offers for our board members?
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
XPEL

Drives: All Makes and Models
Attachment 891384
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Hi XPEL,

Thanks for posting.

How do you prevent/eliminate the "Orange Peel" on some of the XPEL installs that I've seen?

Btw, do you have any Camaro6 promotional offers for our board members?
Pinhead,

No problem at all. The orange peel texture you’re seeing is what comes from the factory paint/clearcoat. Rest assured, once it’s installed there is no visual change from a wrapped panel to a bare panel. Please see the images below, we wrapped a customer’s Hot Wheel’s Edition Camaro, you can see that the film and the paint are the same sheen and orange peel.

We do offer a 10% discount on our DIY products (tracwrap, headlight kits, door edge guard, door sill guard, etc), Merchandise (sunglasses, tshirts, jackets, etc), and Aftercare products (rinse free car wash, sealant, microfibers, etc). We unfortunately cannot offer an installation discount, as our Installers are independently owned. The promotion code can be used on our website: Camaro6Forum.
XPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #6
soldes

Ok, the xpel film is on the hood and bumper and topped of with a Glyeon Mohs coating. Overal they did a very good job, knowing this will probably be the only Camaro they will do in Belgium. They did aknowledge it was one of the most difficult bumpers they ever did and they have done some very nice cars in the past http://www.pole-position.be/nl/fotos-6.htm
I do have the line next to the headlights but I was expecting that. The edges are very neatly finished. At first glance it was a perfect job. On second glance there is a 1" liquid filled pocket on the hood and a 1/4" bubble near the edge of the bumper. Barely noticable, they assured me it will go away so I'll wait a week or two before freaking out and taking it back. The appearance of the film with coating is just like the painted panels so I'm happy with that. The 3 rock chips I already had were neatly retouched and I can barely notice them now.
Bumper and hood where cleaned, clayed and machine polished as The car was Modesta coated (BC-05). So far it looks like the film has no adhesion issues.
it where 3 sleepless nights after reading all the horror stories but now I'm happy with my decission and peace of mind that I will see a near impact free bumper every week I wash the car
Nick

Last edited by soldes; 08-21-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
In my experience the bubbles will fade in a few weeks, it's pretty common on clear bra installations.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:52 AM   #8
soldes

Thanks Jason, now just how to resist the urge to push the bubble