Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Wide tires and rear wheel drive do not work good in snow, but nothing works very good on ice.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #16
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie52 View Post
Wide tires and rear wheel drive do not work good in snow, but nothing works very good on ice.
That's the shitty part with this kind of weather here in Texas. It's usually never just snow, usually sleet snow mix. Yesterday it was sleeting and snow and a couple times about pee sized hail.The corner I was turning on was solid ice under the thin layer of snow. Makes it worse when there is nothing put on the roads untill after the ice and snow is done. Just makes for a shitty start to the new year.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Really sorry about your car. I live not too far from you. The weather forecast said we would have a "dusting" but it actually snowed at my house.

I feel your pain. A month ago, I woke up to a loud bang in front of my house. A texting driver plowed into my parked car and totaled it. Replaced it with a Camaro RS.

Hang in there. Did it break your HID on the driver side?
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #18
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
We always end up with black ice underneath here in NTx, did you have it in Snow/Ice mode?
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
chris227

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
Really sorry about your car. I live not too far from you. The weather forecast said we would have a "dusting" but it actually snowed at my house.

I feel your pain. A month ago, I woke up to a loud bang in front of my house. A texting driver plowed into my parked car and totaled it. Replaced it with a Camaro RS.

Hang in there. Did it break your HID on the driver side?
We got a inch of snow here in Sherman. mix of sleet and snow actually. The left fender, both headlights mounting points are broken but the lights still work. Hood seems to be bowed a little, both grills have broken tabs, The car horn broke of its bracket. Drivers side DRL totally broke of its mounting point. Still works though. And that's not counting what i can't see behind the bumper. Crazy amount of damage to me since i was only going 3 mph. I watched my dash cam footage and am so surprised at the amount. Figure it being so cold made it much worse then if it would of been summer time heat.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #20
chris227

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
We always end up with black ice underneath here in NTx, did you have it in Snow/Ice mode?
I put it in snow/ice mode right when i left the shop. Don't think it matters when the rear was on basically snow in the turn then the front wheels hit the street that was ice underneath, The road i was turning off of was done this summer with chip seal, provided a better grip. The road into the neighborhood was just plain asphalt, and is smooth as a baby ass. The whole corner there is being converted into some sort of roundabout this year, some big project the news has been talking about for the last few months. Hopefully it gets done soon. Theres a lot of wrecks at that corner. even in nice weather.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
Chris Carter would say...C'mon man. but if there was ice underneath then...well there probably isn't much you could have done except take the turn slower.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #22
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
This thing runs!!! Has a fewwww problems definitely but its my baxk up. Heater core needs replacement.(heat still works) no A.C. (outdated) odometer broke, but the engine runs great lol.

1993 saturn 500hp and 648 rwtrq!!
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #23
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
This is an example of why winter tires or at least all weather tires (not all seasons which are really only good for three) are a good idea if temps dip below 45 F or 7 C frequently irrespective of whether you get much snow or not. I have little idea what Texas weather is generally like in the winter months but just for the sake of safety and protecting my investment, the cost of winter "ish" tires wound be worth it if there were very many days that cold. But as othes have said at least no one was hurt and car damage can generally be fixed.

How many days would you see colder temps where you live?
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #24
chris227

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
This is an example of why winter tires or at least all weather tires (not all seasons which are really only good for three) are a good idea if temps dip below 45 F or 7 C frequently irrespective of whether you get much snow or not. I have little idea what Texas weather is generally like in the winter months but just for the sake of safety and protecting my investment, the cost of winter "ish" tires wound be worth it if there were very many days that cold. But as othes have said at least no one was hurt and car damage can generally be fixed.

texas winters are pretty mild, Here in N Texas and i mean I'm on TX/OK border we don't stay under 40 very long at all and maybe 2 to 5 days of ice/snow a year maybe. This is my first wreck in bad weather ever. Been driving for almost 30 yrs. This is the first wreck that i'm at fault. and only the 3rd wreck in my life i've been involved in. I log on average 90,000 miles a year on texas roads due to my job plus i usually have a 30' trailer behind me. I'm a very cautious driver. Guess it was just my time. I've always been worried about that corner and have personally seen at least a dozen wrecks there. It just sucks. No one was hurt and it's just a car. Just hate that i ruined someone else's day as well.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #25
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfboy View Post

All season tires are not much better than summer tires on ice.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #26
camaroalltheway

Drives: 2SS convert,Mosaic Black,MRC,NPP
Sorry about your luck glad it was only low speed snow and not super high friction.

Rear wheel drive, summer tires and light weight all bad in snow. I am even hesitant to drive this car in heavy rain after a couple close calls.
camaroalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #27
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
I'm with EVIL BEE NH, Snow is something we live with in the Northeast, REALLY SORRY about the Car,Glad Your OK!!!!! It could be worse, I have about 40 Inches of snow on My front lawn RITE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should be gone by April!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #28
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
If just snow, OP would have been made the turn. It was a freezing rain/sleet /snow mix that we are know for in the Texas/Okla. region.

Like OP, I'm A little surprised at the amount of damage on the C and not the other car. OP, mark it up to _ _it happens and get it fixed by a good independent shop.

Last edited by Stex; 01-07-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote