Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Active Noise Cancellation

All of them will get active noise cancellation operating through the speakers;

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...BBjYcJS#page=7

did i miss something? I knew T4 will get fake enhancers, v6 and v8 get mechanical directed noise to cabin...but I didn't see anything about active noise cancellation.

I like the idea frankly....if i have the family in the car for a long sunday drive or something...or if i need to take a Hands free phone call.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Been used in the Theta-II CUVs for a while now. Just cancels out unwanted engine noise.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
DenverTaco07

I guess i don't understand...GM puts in mechanical sound resonators to direct noise to the cabin...so it can be cancelled?

or is this a driver operated feature?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Been used in the Theta-II CUVs for a while now. Just cancels out unwanted engine noise.
Hey Fenwick Billybob when are you buying a camaro?
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
All of them will get active noise cancellation operating through the speakers;

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...BBjYcJS#page=7

did i miss something? I knew T4 will get fake enhancers, v6 and v8 get mechanical directed noise to cabin...but I didn't see anything about active noise cancellation.

I like the idea frankly....if i have the family in the car for a long sunday drive or something...or if i need to take a Hands free phone call.
I think you are reading too much into it....The I-4 gets the noise cancellation through the speakers, and engine enhancement sound thru the speakers (if you get the optional bose stereo system) and it can be turned off if desired...

The v-6 and v-8 get resonator sound , but I don't believe it comes thru the speakers....

The I-4 is speaker enhanced, (non-mechanical)....v-6 and v-8 are mechanically enhanced, (not by stereo or speakers)...

"There has to be a catch somewhere, and it'll make induction noise purists cringe. The turbo I4 will lean on several sound enhancement technologies to prevent it from sounding like a tractor motor. All of them will get active noise cancellation operating through the speakers; Bose-equipped examples will also get enhancement that cranks up the good 2-liter sounds—which can be user-disabled, thankfully.

The V6 and V8 models don't get away scot-free, either. Induction resonators will passively direct engine compartment sounds into the cabin.On the other hand, the V6 and the V8 both have available dual-mode exhaust systems, which feature electronically-actuated valves that increase exhaust flow (and volume) under acceleration. The system opens up more in "track" mode, and can quiet things down in a user-selectable "stealth" mode. I didn't get a chance to hear the V8 clear its throat, but our pre-production V6 models both had the performance exhaust fitted. The tuned exhaust note was highly distinctive; think Infiniti VQ37, but less cartoonish and throatier"
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
I guess i don't understand...GM puts in mechanical sound resonators to direct noise to the cabin...so it can be cancelled?

or is this a driver operated feature?
It cancels out excessively harsh engine noise, like booms. It's a bigger problem with the 4-cylinder Thetas, which is why it was standard in those cars. Basically it uses microphones to pick up harsh engine noises then sends out an opposing sound wave through the audio system to cancel it out.

I'm not sure exactly what noises GM's targeting with Camaro though.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...And from the GM press release....:

Each engine has been carefully tuned for a distinctive performance sound. All 2.0L turbo models feature active noise cancellation, which uses sound waves to cancel unwanted cabin noise. Models equipped with the available Bose audio system also feature engine sound enhancement, which amplifies the native sounds of the 2.0L turbo engine – and can be disabled based on the driver’s preference.

Both the 3.6L V-6 and 6.2L V-8 feature mechanical sound enhancers – resonators that direct induction noise from the engine bay into the cabin. Both engines are available with a dual-mode exhaust, which features electronically controlled valves that bypass the mufflers under acceleration, delivering improved performance and greater sound levels. With the dual-mode exhaust, drivers can personalize the exhaust sound, from a “stealth” mode to the most aggressive “track” mode.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65

By the way, it sounds like the 2.0T's "fake engine noise" isn't exactly fake in the sense the EcoBoost's is. Sounds like it's just microphones that pick up the engine noise and play it through the speakers.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...And from the GM press release....:

Each engine has been carefully tuned for a distinctive performance sound. All 2.0L turbo models feature active noise cancellation, which uses sound waves to cancel unwanted cabin noise. Models equipped with the available Bose audio system also feature engine sound enhancement, which amplifies the native sounds of the 2.0L turbo engine – and can be disabled based on the driver’s preference.

Both the 3.6L V-6 and 6.2L V-8 feature mechanical sound enhancers – resonators that direct induction noise from the engine bay into the cabin. Both engines are available with a dual-mode exhaust, which features electronically controlled valves that bypass the mufflers under acceleration, delivering improved performance and greater sound levels. With the dual-mode exhaust, drivers can personalize the exhaust sound, from a “stealth” mode to the most aggressive “track” mode.
Quote:
It cancels out excessively harsh engine noise, like booms. It's a bigger problem with the 4-cylinder Thetas, which is why it was standard in those cars. Basically it uses microphones to pick up harsh engine noises then sends out an opposing sound wave through the audio system to cancel it out.

I'm not sure exactly what noises GM's targeting with Camaro though.
Quote:
By the way, it sounds like the 2.0T's "fake engine noise" isn't exactly fake in the sense the EcoBoost's is. Sounds like it's just microphones that pick up the engine noise and play it through the speakers.
Thanks gents... that clears it up...be running stealth mode if I leave the house before 7am.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
I believe my BMW has active noise cancellation. It targets road and wind noise to make the car quieter. With the focus on weight reduction might be what they are after here.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Thanks gents... that clears it up...be running stealth mode if I leave the house before 7am.
It's not loud stock...