Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question LT1 engine & A8 reliability?

Hi Guys,

Sorry if I bother some of you guys, but I'm just a possible customer for the next '16 SS or maybe '14-'15 ZL1.
I'm very concerned from what I have been reading about the issues with the new LT1 engine and A8 transmission on the Corvette Stingray, that will be the same ones on the new '16 Camaro SS. Do you know if GM already fix those issues on the new Camaro SS? Even that the car will be under warranty I will hate having to spend time on the dealer because of engine or transmission issues, also I'm planing to have some track usage, and don't want to have the overheating issues. From what I read the A8 transmission has been given headaches to new pick up owners and on the Stingray and Z06 because of sudden unwanted shifts on that transmission (maybe computer related). I'm also very emotional with the new SS design, handling, weight loss, etc. But just want to be sure, specially now that GM reduced the warranty of the power train.
On the past I experienced very bad reliability and very high maintenance costs on a 911 Carrera, and do not want to experience that on my next sport car.

Thanks for your advise!
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
The transmission shouldn't be a problem under normal driving. It does comes with a cooler on the Camaro as standard equipment.

The engine doesn't have any problems that any direct injection engine doesn't have. GM has supposedly addressed some of these issues with the 2016 Camaro SS.

You have to remember that any time you track a car, things will be worn out faster than normal. I can't begin to tell you how mnay 4L60Es I grenaded on my 99 Z28. But, I brought about their demise by drag racing a car with 650HP. Any mechanical part can only take so much abuse.

With that said, I think the car should be pretty reliable overall. The Corvette has been the guinea pig for improvement, and that is good for the Camaro purchasers. Worries are normal to have, but worries can apply to any car purchase. Just look at the 5.0 guys with manual transmissions. By all accounts, those things were pure junk.
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
There have been over 70k LT1 Corvettes sold.. All of those are with the LT1. I really don't think there are any extreme issues or higher chances of running into issues with one.. Automatic isn't as good for track and they have already stated that.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
Wareaglea5

Drives: Gmc sierra
The most important thing to do is find a good dealer by hanging around the service area and asking those customers how they rate the dealer. These are the people you will be dealing with most during your ownership, not the sales people. I wouldn't go anywhere near the 8 speed without waiting to see how it works out, it's not worth the gamble with the reduced warranty and GM's recent problems. Vettes are not typically high mileage daily drivers so be careful comparing to them or listening to their owners. The 8 speed in the camaro will not be to the same specs as the one in the vette or the trucks so you just have to wait to see how GM does with it. I wouldn't worry about the engine.
Wareaglea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
The simple solution is to skip the automagic altogether
Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry if I bother some of you guys, but I'm just a possible customer for the next '16 SS or maybe '14-'15 ZL1.
I'm very concerned from what I have been reading about the issues with the new LT1 engine and A8 transmission on the Corvette Stingray, that will be the same ones on the new '16 Camaro SS. Do you know if GM already fix those issues on the new Camaro SS? Even that the car will be under warranty I will hate having to spend time on the dealer because of engine or transmission issues, also I'm planing to have some track usage, and don't want to have the overheating issues. From what I read the A8 transmission has been given headaches to new pick up owners and on the Stingray and Z06 because of sudden unwanted shifts on that transmission (maybe computer related). I'm also very emotional with the new SS design, handling, weight loss, etc. But just want to be sure, specially now that GM reduced the warranty of the power train.
On the past I experienced very bad reliability and very high maintenance costs on a 911 Carrera, and do not want to experience that on my next sport car.

Thanks for your advise!
Boss, let me give you my opinion. I have a 2012 ZL1 manual that I have tracked many times without any problems. I also have a 2015 Corvette A8 Z51 that overheated the first time I took it to the track. The A8 in normal traffic usually runs 150-160 degrees. In heavy traffic and hot weather 175-180. That is why I was so surprised that it overheated so quickly. I took it to a dealer and after leaving it there for week and going back and forth with customer service, I was told that if I wanted to track the car, I needed to get a manual car.

It kind of depends on how badly you want to track the car. I track my cars 3-4 times a year so it is nice to have a dependable track car but I really like the Corvette as a road car and the 31+ MPG that the LT1 gives me. The shifts in track mode are almost instantaneous and very, very quick in Tour mode.

Until the new Camaros are released and owners get them on tracks during the summer, we won't know for sure if the overheating issues with the A8 are resolved. If spending a lot of time on the track is important to you, you might want to consider the manual. With the Rev-Match feature, it is pretty sweet on the track. If you can heel/toe very well this might not matter to you, but for me it was wonderful. I got the A8 so my wife could drive the car anytime and the ease of driving in traffic. I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Also, the camaro SS A8 has a dedicated cooler, unlike the Z06 and C7
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

My last 3 sport cars have been manual standard transmission cars (Infiniti G35 coupe, Porsche 911 Carrera and my actual Mustang GT 5.0), they are a joy to track and no complains. I think you hit my weak spot, my wifes hates driving standard transmission and using the clutch which is why I'm looking for an automatic transmission sport car, just for her to also enjoy driving the car, but don't want to lose the joy of doing ocasional tracking at my local PCA

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 10-13-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
Bosse'sBoss

Do you think that the actual automatic ZL1 might be more dependable on the track compared to an automatic transmission '16 Camaro SS?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
Wareaglea5

Drives: Gmc sierra
Manual transmission is also like the greatest anti theft device around here haha. I haven't seen or heard of any overheating issues in the trucks around here, but I would think track duty would be more brutal than towing. My own personal experience is that changing a clutch is cheaper than changing a clutch pack and updating a valve body, Sonax probably already has a kit out for the 8 speed that will make it last a lifetime.
Wareaglea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #11
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Do you think that the actual automatic ZL1 might be more dependable on the track compared to an automatic transmission '16 Camaro SS?
Most of the automatic ZL1's I know of used them them for 1/4 mile drag use because of reliability and consistant faster shifts. I do not know of many automatics that track their cars. Plus they are six speeds with larger cases than the new A8. The A8's have smaller cases with less space for trans fluid. By the way, on the topic of trans fluid, the A8 requires a special trans fluid change after your first track use. It is 7-8 quarts at $37.00 per quart plus dealer labor.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-13-2015 at 10:11 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
Also, the camaro SS A8 has a dedicated cooler, unlike the Z06 and C7
Incorrect, the Z06 and 2016 Z51 Corvettes with the A8 have an auxiliary trans cooler mounted horizontally under the radiator specifically to cool the A8. It is not working on the Z06 and still unsure on the 2016 Corvettes because they have not been track tested yet. The auxiliary trans cooler was added to 2016 Z51's after 2014 and 2015 A8's continually overheated.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #13
addisonpeterson
Bad Camaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT Convertible RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Incorrect, the Z06 and 2016 Z51 Corvettes with the A8 have an auxiliary trans cooler mounted horizontally under the radiator specifically to cool the A8. It is not working on the Z06 and still unsure on the 2016 Corvettes because they have not been track tested yet. The auxiliary trans cooler was added to 2016 Z51's after 2014 and 2015 A8's continually overheated.
Have the coolers worked well after 14-15?
addisonpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 AM   #14
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Also, a minor factor to keep in mind. On the Corvette, the auto acts as a transaxle powered via torque-tube. In the Camaro, it is a mid-section located, typical transmission. The location under the vehicle may have a slight impact on cooling. I have no evidence to support my claim, but it is something to think about.

Also, you have to remember that car manufacturers often use cars that don't sell a boatload to do public experiments. No matter how many CTF cars drive around, they will never be the same sample pool as the general public. In the event they try something new, and it goes wrong, or has costly repairs, they'd rather it be in a new Corvette than an Impala.

This is common practice. Does anyone remember GM trying experimental brakes on the Cadillac Allante? It was a low-selling car, and GM knew it would be. So, they made it the guinea pig, and it didn't cost them as much as it would have if they threw it on a Grand Am.
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote