Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #29
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
When it was my turn to replace my GTO I decided to put it off and get a gen5 ZL1 to use as a summer drag/HPDE car and then get a gen6 2SS in 18 to replace the GTO as a daily driver. Lately I've been tempted to trade the ZL1 up for a new ZL1 in 17 and drive it year round.

It sucks having a ZL1 that I don't drive daily but it's hard to accept running one in the winter. I'm really torn. You only live once but it's awfully expensive to slop snow and salt on and brakes/tires, etc are more expensive. My mode of operation is to buy nice and then drive them 10 years at ~10k miles per year with dedicated summer and winter tires. I've got time to figure it out

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #30
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
I daily drove my last CTS-V and couldn't stand how messed up it got. The new Z will be a garage toy for me. I'm going to buy a beater to go to work with when the time comes.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #31
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeezwax View Post
if the 5th 2SS is 40k and the ZL1 was 60k and the new 6th 2SS is 45k, then could we expect for the 6th ZL1 to be 65? I'm thinking the new ZL1 will be 65-72k
I'm thinking along those lines. To me, if I see a $70k sticker on a Camaro, just out of principal, I'm going to have to pass. haha. Who would of thunk that the Camaro brand would be pricing at $70k. If it's $69,995 tho. Now, that's a different story. I'm in!!!!
Old 09-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #32
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Waiting for a '17 1LE...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #33
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Waiting for a '17 1LE...

sorry bud, your might not want to hold your breath!!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #34
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Waiting?

What was/is a 1LE?
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #35
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Waiting... but just for a 2SS convertible

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #36
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
I already learned from my mistake when I hurried up to get the first '11 Mustang GT 5.0 w/. the track package and on the following year the BOSS came out. This time I will wait to see if the great Camaro 1LE comes out next year. It's worth the wait.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #37
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
sorry bud, your might not want to hold your breath!!
A little birdy told me that isn't the case.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #38
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There is really only one mystery and that is what is the Gen6 Z/28 replacement.

It would be a solid bet that the LT4 goes in the ZL1 replacement. The only question is if there is any HP bump. Would Chevrolet allow the Z/28 to have higher HP than the Z06? Not sure, but I doubt it. But by '17 they could both get a bump.

The 1LE? Well that is fundamentally a track package for the 1SS/2SS and I expect we will see that as well. Not really rocket science and GM has sold that option well on the Gen5 so it would seem silly to not offer it on the Gen6.

Now the Z/28. As I've suggested in The House, there are two possible paths, one much more likely than the other.

1st GM simply takes the ZL1 and adds CC brakes and takes about 150 pounds out. This is likely because GM no longer has a hang up on FI for track cars as proven by the Z06 and CTS-V. This also maintains a smaller engine family in the Gen6 as they have added the 2.0T. This would essentially be an "R" version of the ZL1.

2nd GM has an LTX in the wings. Something truly magical to replace the wonderous LS7. This could also be an engine for a Grand Sport Corvette as well. I think this is less likely, but GM is drunk with cash so you never know.

So you could argue that the next Z/28 is simply the 1LE. From a historical perspective of Gen2 through Gen4, a Z/28 was basically a handling package anyway. I believe there where slight HP bumps, but not unique engines. It wasn't until Gen5 that we got CC brakes and a unique engine. History buffs can correct me on this.

So the only real mystery is whether we get a unique engine for the Z/28. Everything else will likely fall into place simply because of profit opportunity. That is why we will likely see a 1LE, a ZL1 and a Z/28. In that order, I'm guessing.
I am fortunate to have a 2012 ZL1 which gives me the luxury to wait for the next ZL1-Z28-1LE to arrive. I love my car but really wish it had the Recaro seats which were not available until 2014, so I will not make that mistake again.

On Number 3's post I am not as sure about the ZL1 and the Z28 having FI engines. Z06 Corvettes are having over heating problems on the track which might prompt the Camaro track car to be NA.

GM was just fined 900 Million and another 600 Million to go towards victims families over faulty ignition switches. 1.5 Billion will put a dent in any companies cash reserves.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #39
Dr. Love2
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 SS;2010 Camaro SS/RS; 2015 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
It seems like "we're always waiting"? Waiting for a faster, more powerful, and better priced version of the model we really want. There will always be a newer model that is all those things. The new 6th gen is not perfect and the 2017 model in some ways will be better, but how long does one wait? Look around, ALL manufactures are trying to improve their halo cars every year. You're never going to own the fastest most powerful vehicle for more than a year. Pretty soon you turn around and you're old and wrinkly and still wishing and hoping for the fastest, most powerful vehicle. I, for one, am not waiting.
Agreed. Get one now and if a newer, better, faster version comes out, trade up. It's not that big a deal if you want the next big thing.
Dr. Love2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I am fortunate to have a 2012 ZL1 which gives me the luxury to wait for the next ZL1-Z28-1LE to arrive. I love my car but really wish it had the Recaro seats which were not available until 2014, so I will not make that mistake again.

On Number 3's post I am not as sure about the ZL1 and the Z28 having FI engines. Z06 Corvettes are having over heating problems on the track which might prompt the Camaro track car to be NA.

GM was just fined 900 Million and another 600 Million to go towards victims families over faulty ignition switches. 1.5 Billion will put a dent in any companies cash reserves.
Last I knew that had well over 20 billion after they were forced to buy some stock back.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #41
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Last I knew that had well over 20 billion after they were forced to buy some stock back.
Those are some deep pockets! Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #42
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I read last June the GM's status was elevated to investment grade.

Quote:
Why It Matters That GM Is Now Investment Grade At Fitch

The upgrade of GM’s ratings reflects the ongoing fundamental improvement in the company’s core business over the past several years. At the same time, recent events pertaining to last year’s recalls have given Fitch increased confidence that the company has the financial flexibility to navigate the remaining issues while maintaining an investment-grade credit profile.

Read more:http://247wallst.com/autos/2015/06/1...#ixzz3mHPLiY67

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 09-20-2015 at 07:27 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote