Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #141

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Does anyone else find this quote absurdly ironic?
For sure....Probably code-speak for trying to keep the industry viable...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #142
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
Seems as the autoignition temperature of magnesium ribbon is approximately 473 °C (746 K; 883 °F) good luck getting it to burn in anything being used in vehicle applications. The powered or shaved form is much easier to burn, but that's not what's being used here.
You do realize that magnesium will burn at the same temperature regardless of whether it is a powder, a ribbon, a brick, a transmission case, or a 1/4 scale replica of R2-D2?

FYI, a candle burns at 1000 °C, which is more than enough to get magnesium started.

The only thing that extra mass gives you is it can dissipate a small heat source like a candle, which prevents it from igniting, as the large mass takes a large heat source to get it hot enough (swap in a gasoline fire, or oil fire instead of a candle and you have a large source).

However, a magnesium engine block is already warmed up by the running engine, and if you have certain engine failures or lose oil pressure, the friction of the moving parts is more than enough to ignite the block. There is a history of this in the old VW Beetle boxer engine, which was made from a magnesium alloy.

Back when they were common, firefighters were offered training on how to fight a Beetle fire, because magnesium reacts with water forming magnesium oxide and hydrogen and so using a fire hose on the beetle could create a hydrogen cloud which essentially explodes. A CO2 fire extinguisher is also useless on a Beetle fire because it will readily burn in a CO2 atmosphere, forming magnesium oxide and carbon. The way they said to deal with a Beetle engine fire was to shovel dirt on it to snuff it out.

Usually, once going the firefighters would just stand back and allow the car to be consumed by the fire.

If you guys a big fans of magnesium bodied cars, I suggest you look up the F1 racing Honda RA302, which crashed in lap 2 of the 1968 French Gran Prix and the body caught fire and could not be extinguished.

Magnesium is not to be trifled with.

I'm not looking forward to paying a lot more money for a car that doesn't save as much money in fuel as the additional cost to buy, plus is made from a very flammable element that makes it even less safe.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #143
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm confused....I thought they referred to their new Aluminum welding procedure...making aluminum the near-term "super material" for weight savings...why the focus on magnesium in here?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #144
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Boy sure love the magnesium cradle in the Z06. Haven't seen one burst into flames yet, though.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #145
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Does anyone else find this quote absurdly ironic?
...Ok Capitain, spell it out....where is the irony? Inquiring minds wanna know....
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #146
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I'm confused....I thought they referred to their new Aluminum welding procedure...making aluminum the near-term "super material" for weight savings...why the focus on magnesium in here?
Magnesium is even lighter than aluminium. By a bunch.

But even aluminium costs a big bunch more than steel.

Waiting for unobtanium to reach a higher threshold for usage driving cost even lower.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #147
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Magnesium is even lighter than aluminium. By a bunch.

But even aluminium costs a big bunch more than steel.

Waiting for unobtanium to reach a higher threshold for usage driving cost even lower.
Is magnesium even as malleable as aluminum for stamping? And aluminum wins no awards in that respect, either...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #148

Quote:
Is magnesium even as malleable as aluminum for stamping? And aluminum wins no awards in that respect, either...
All aluminum already has magnesium in it...The higher the percent of magnesium, the lighter and stronger aluminum becomes....Depending on the thickness at some point high mag content aluminum can't be bent...It will be significantly stronger and lighter, but more brittle....
Cheap, mushy aluminum won't stamp or bend with any quality, either...It's a balancing act...Aircraft alumunum is high quality, hi-grade aluminum...
...Anything can be done, just the process requires more engineering...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #149
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
I'm not looking forward to paying a lot more money for a car that doesn't save as much money in fuel as the additional cost to buy, plus is made from a very flammable element that makes it even less safe.
...then I guess you are out, and then we will be for the better if you find a happier place, no?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #150
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
All aluminum already has magnesium in it...The higher the percent of magnesium, the lighter and stronger aluminum becomes....Depending on the thickness at some point high mag content aluminum can't be bent...It will be significantly stronger and lighter, but more brittle....
Cheap, mushy aluminum won't stamp or bend with any quality, either...It's a balancing act...Aircraft alumunum is high quality, hi-grade aluminum...
...Anything can be done, just the process requires more engineering...
Point taken.

I've been reading up (what I can in the past 45 minutes). Apparently, you can add rare earth metals into the alloy formula, and this changes the properties of (among other things) the ignition temperature of the material. Since Al-Mg alloys don't burn at the same temperatures as pure Mg to begin with...Alloys with the intent of high-temperature applications can be formed by using this technique.

The Corvette's Mg engine cradle is made out of a special alloy; AE44. And it caught some press in the engineering community for it's ability to perform in high-temperature situations. Was the first application of its kind, apparently.

Nothing's perfect, obviously. Imagine if the electric car had taken off in the early 1900s and we were driving developed versions of them today....and then someone came along and suggested we switch to this cheap, and high-energy liquid fuel: "Gas-O-Leen"....I imagine there'd have been an uproar over endangering the driving public by making them drive around with a flammable/combustable/explosive material sloshing around in tanks underneath the cars.

With all that said: I look forward to seeing how GM intends to carry out this goal of 15% weight reduction. No doubt they've done some research on the subject to back up the number (or at least come close) with results. I've never heard them be so specific without knowing they can do it, first.

If it happens to be Mg...Hey - as long as it won't rust when the paint's chipped after years of driving, count me in.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #151

...Just for drill, I'd say the more you look at aircraft, or even NASA (lol), if the technology gets put into cars...all the better....
As for safety....it's the manufacturing, machining and fabricating where you gotta be careful with magnesium...it is a different animal...By the time it gets to the cars, though, no worries...

As far as fires in cars and health and safety, there's bigger fish to fry with plastics, composites, and batteries than with aluminum and magnesium...lol...
Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #152
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...nesium-trucks/

With all this talk about 15% weight reduction, this looks like the obvious solution, because it follows precedent set over many years: reduce weight by using more expensive materials that reduce reliability and passenger safety.

USA Today did a really good article a while back explaining the human price paid for forced Fuel Economy standards. Considering the leanings of the source publication, the credibility of the research cannot be dismissed to bias.

I hope this is allowable discussion here. I'm completely serious.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #153
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...then I guess you are out, and then we will be for the better if you find a happier place, no?
I'm working on fixes for all these problems.

One day, the rest of you guys will thank me.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #154
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
I've been reading up (what I can in the past 45 minutes). Apparently, you can add rare earth metals into the alloy formula, and this changes the properties of (among other things) the ignition temperature of the material. Since Al-Mg alloys don't burn at the same temperatures as pure Mg to begin with...Alloys with the intent of high-temperature applications can be formed by using this technique.
The same mindset that pushed us into these materials to stop polluting the air with CO2 are the same ones who have closed down almost all of the U.S. mines that were extracting rare earth metals.

The vast majority of rare earths are now being mined by Chinese firms, who control the price because they have the market cornered.

This topic contains my daily recommended allowance of irony.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news