Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #43
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yet the Silverado/Sierra pairs use this same transmission (even with the max trailering package) and I haven't seen a single review mention a problem. There are many more of those on the roads than all the other cars combined.
Exactly. The only cars reporting 8L90 overheating are C7 cars. The packaging on the C7 focused too much on aero. This and coupled with the location of the trans is reason additional cooling is needed when it should have been there to begin with. Definitely a miss on GM's part.

Also SpeedIsLife, you are assuming the 8L90 is smaller than ZF units. I've not seen any proof of this. Do you have some measurements on the two? Seems getting those kind of specs on any of these trans is hard to come by. I don't think anyone has posted how much longer the M7 is compared to the M6 either (off topic I know).

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #44
DevonK

Drives: TBD
It's amazing that GM in their extensive prototype testing was unable to discover this A8 overheating issue in the C7 over the hundred of thousands of test miles they must have driven the prototypes, both on track and off. Makes me a bit nervous about the rigor of the reliability assessment procedures they are following on the G6.

Of course it's possible that they did discover the C7 issue, but decided it would be a rare enough occurrence that they thought they could live down the blowback they could see coming. If that's the case it was a bad misjudgment on their part.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #45
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Good question. I'm not that familiar with the 8L90 programming. Maybe Jedi can tell us about it. I know my BMW has two manual modes, one the computer will take over if you don't accelerate in a sec or two, the other is full manual mode.

As far as driving modes, it should affect the shift feel and shift points for sure.

There are similar reports for the ZF unit in the 3 series, but I never notice any delay unless I short shift while reducing throttle. Almost like the car is like "WTF I thought you were in a hurry". I may try to get some video to show what I am talking about and how fast it shifts under power. Downshifting seems to have some delay, but I think it is because it is "rev-matching" for lack of a better term.
I've driven the zf in our X3, 328i and test drove an m235i with it. It's a fantastic transmission. The only "auto" that I've liked more is the M3s DCT which is considered a manual of course but functions like an auto from the driver'side seat (Def not trying to get that debate going haha).

I still traded the DCT in for a manual. it was great but manual is just more fun for me and my wife (her even more so than me, in fact!).

If I get a Camaro it'll be manual for sure.

On OP's post..

Funny how cars get to be TOO capable/good and seem to lose fans based on that. Sounds like #GTRproblems
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #46
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I feel like they always love the American cars/vehicles they actually get but find some absurd reason not to. They ooohed and awwed over the last two vettes but found wrong. Even top gear bloggers like this Camaro is what i will take from it.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #47
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post

Funny how cars get to be TOO capable/good and seem to lose fans based on that. Sounds like #GTRproblems
Gtr has #pricetag problems for mainstream fans.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:15 AM   #48
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yet the Silverado/Sierra pairs use this same transmission (even with the max trailering package) and I haven't seen a single review mention a problem. There are many more of those on the roads than all the other cars combined.
Yes there are bad reviews with the new A8 in GM's pickups mentioning when reducing speed to brake, sudden skip shifts stop hard the vehicle, much harder than needed. And in another post C7 owner mentioned that his A8 transmission was very dangerous almost broke his garage door when he started his vehicle and jump the parking shift. There were other C7 sudden wrong skip shifts issues mentioned as well.

I'm waiting to see if GM fixes this A8 issues before making my move for a 6th. gen SS or instead going for the actual more reliable ZL1
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:23 AM   #49
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonK View Post
It's amazing that GM in their extensive prototype testing was unable to discover this A8 overheating issue in the C7 over the hundred of thousands of test miles they must have driven the prototypes, both on track and off. Makes me a bit nervous about the rigor of the reliability assessment procedures they are following on the G6.

Of course it's possible that they did discover the C7 issue, but decided it would be a rare enough occurrence that they thought they could live down the blowback they could see coming. If that's the case it was a bad misjudgment on their part.
Obligatory third option: It was discovered, fixes were implemented, tested again and found to still have some slight issues, fixed again, tested again, and fewer issues, but issues existed.... and repeat until management said "we're not holding back the release" and they released them with the known issue and will fix it when/as needed to those that complain.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #50
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Wow, it seems like if a review isn't 100% effusive praise for this car, many of you are ready with the tar and feathers. Which is interesting, since none of you have, you know, driven it yet.

FYI, the author of that piece (Pat Devereaux) is a Brit who lives in the U.S., and he has quite a fondness for American cars (look for his reviews of the Hellcat, or CTS-V wagon, for example).

His criticisms of the new Camaro are both unique and actually well worn.

1) Being a huge fan of Top Gear, I noticed that they often ascribe cars with certain characteristics. To them, a muscle car isn't supposed to handle like a BMW, otherwise they'd buy a BMW. That does not make the new Camaro a bad car, it's just not fulfilling their expectation. They'll get over it.

2) a car losing its "rawness", as mentioned in this article, is a common car rag trope. I remember when Car and Driver was sad that the Acura RSX was more "mature" than the previous Integra, or when many magazines felt the newest, 981 Boxster/Caymans were just a bit too grown up versus the prev 987s. Hell, I can find articles about detailing the same concern with the 2nd gen Camaro versus the 1st back in 1970!

It doesn't mean they think the car is bad. No car is perfect. Any reviewer worth his/her salt must list some negatives (even if nitpicking) to balance out the positives.

I have yet to see a single review for this car that isn't overwhelmingly positive.
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #51
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post

I don't think it's a matter of being too good. My personal gripe is when you lose the fun factor for numbers. To most car guys, the fun in making a car go fast is in making the car go fast. Not riding along while the car goes fast. I, personally, do not care how much faster the auto is. I don't care how much quicker a DCT is. I don't care that AWD makes for effortless launches and more controlled cornering, I want to drive! I want to shift gears, feather the clutch, and battle wheelspin. Is it the fastest way around the track or down the street/strip? Hell no!. Is it the most engaging, adrenaline inducing way? Hell yes! That's why I drive fast cars. For the noise and excitement. Automatic transmissions, DCTs, electric motors and AWD will not get the blood pumping the same way. I am an adrenaline junky who enjoys the rhythm and challenge of driving a manual. I'll save the automatics for family cars and tow vehicles.

Even though all things being equal, a modern auto trans will be faster, things are never equal for long. May as well enjoy your drive. Someone else will always have a faster car. Such is life.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #52
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I don't think it's a matter of being too good. My personal gripe is when you lose the fun factor for numbers. To most car guys, the fun in making a car go fast is in making the car go fast. Not riding along while the car goes fast. I, personally, do not care how much faster the auto is. I don't care how much quicker a DCT is. I don't care that AWD makes for effortless launches and more controlled cornering, I want to drive! I want to shift gears, feather the clutch, and battle wheelspin. Is it the fastest way around the track or down the street/strip? Hell no!. Is it the most engaging, adrenaline inducing way? Hell yes! That's why I drive fast cars. For the noise and excitement. Automatic transmissions, DCTs, electric motors and AWD will not get the blood pumping the same way. I am an adrenaline junky who enjoys the rhythm and challenge of driving a manual. I'll save the automatics for family cars and tow vehicles.

Even though all things being equal, a modern auto trans will be faster, things are never equal for long. May as well enjoy your drive. Someone else will always have a faster car. Such is life.
+1 Well said.
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #53
DevonK

Drives: TBD
^^ Agreed. Additionally some of us like cars that provide an intimate, almost telepathic connection with the act and experience of driving, of the kind that great sports cars (regardless of their "numbers") make possible - i.e. Porsches, earlier BMWs, even the new Miata. While obviously improved in many ways, it's not clear to me from the reviews to date that the G6 can make that connection, but I'm hopeful it does.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #54
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
This is exactly why I won't get another auto. I want to be in the gear I want, not what the car wants.
Exactly why I got my ZL1 in manual, I had auto SS and I was always using the paddle shifters, which did have a annoying delay.

Manuals - More HP to the wheels, less weight.
Autos - Shift Faster

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #55
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
Exactly why I got my ZL1 in manual, I had auto SS and I was always using the paddle shifters, which did have a annoying delay.

Autos - Shift Faster
Except that, it is being said that the Auto weighs little more than the manual(if any), and any additional HP to the wheels with a manual is trumped by a quicker 1/4 and 0-60 time in the auto.
So, the only real reason to go Manual is for serious track duty or to "feel more connected"(the term I keep hearing).
This isnt the old Auto. Times are a'changing! The new A8 is very impressive, by all sources Ive seen.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #56
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post

Autos - Shift Faster
The 8 speed auto threw me a curve, before I was 100% shooting for Manual - now I'm more like 80% manual. Manuals are more fun to drive IMO and that is what will likely sway me.

I think the auto is also a great choice, i mean not everyone wants three pedals, especially if they are planning a DD and are in traffic on a long commute etc. or maybe they have health issues prevent them from pushing in a clutch 1000 times a day.

The ZL1 in manual does put a smile on ones face!