Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
I just don't understand how the secondary cats have anything to do with throttle position but it sounds like you guys have experienced it.

Maybe Vitesse could shed some light on this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #16
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
I just don't understand how the secondary cats have anything to do with throttle position but it sounds like you guys have experienced it.

Maybe Vitesse could shed some light on this.

Think about it this way...

When you delete cats you create more airflow. At 50% throttle your ecu calculates a certain amount of air to pull and a certain amount of fuel. Because there is better flow, more air will be pulled with that effort and the ecu will actually think your at let's say 60% throttle instead, when your actually at 50. It doesn't become an issue until your at 100%, because when you give 100% throttle the ecu thinks your at 110% and it thinks that is impossible so it throws a code.

The ecu has a built in learning curve to adapt to different altitudes. So that's why the throttle controller doesn't throw codes stock. But when you start modding things that slightly effect a/f ratio, it becomes an issue.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #17
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
Think about it this way...

When you delete cats you create more airflow. At 50% throttle your ecu calculates a certain amount of air to pull and a certain amount of fuel. Because there is better flow, more air will be pulled with that effort and the ecu will actually think your at let's say 60% throttle instead, when your actually at 50. It doesn't become an issue until your at 100%, because when you give 100% throttle the ecu thinks your at 110% and it thinks that is impossible so it throws a code.

The ecu has a built in learning curve to adapt to different altitudes. So that's why the throttle controller doesn't throw codes stock. But when you start modding things that slightly effect a/f ratio, it becomes an issue.
Well that sucks. So basically it's a good little gadget for tooling around but not for much more. Goes back to what people keep saying, if you want real throttle response then get a tune. Personally the ole check engine light would make me want my money back.

"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #18
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Well that sucks. So basically it's a good little gadget for tooling around but not for much more. Goes back to what people keep saying, if you want real throttle response then get a tune. Personally the ole check engine light would make me want my money back.

Yeah dude it sucks. It's not just the cel though. The car goes into limp mode and won't let you go over like 40 mph. It's downright dangerous if it happens on the highway.

My foot is now my throttle controller : )
Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Try recalibration, it should work. I think the mistake many make is that they do modifications, like a CAI, exhaust, PTB, and such, and don't think to recalibrate the controller.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #20
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Try recalibration, it should work. I think the mistake many make is that they do modifications, like a CAI, exhaust, PTB, and such, and don't think to recalibrate the controller.
Yeah you're right...recalibration works as long as it's within the stock learning curve. If it's too far out you're out of luck.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #21
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
Deleting your secondary cats changes your airflow and throttle response a bit. As a result, your throttle controller causes your throttle position sensor to think there is too much juice going into your throttle. As a result, you'll get a throttle
Position voltage CEL.

the same principle can be applied to your cai. The factory throttle position sensor has a range that it can be in without throwing codes. The vitesse at WOT pushes that boundary, and any other mods that effect throttle
Response even slightly will cause issues. Especially on a higher setting on the throttle controller.

I learned this from dealing with the issue myself. go read the code at an autozone and you'll see what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with calibrating it.
Thanks for the explanation. It seems like the throttle controller is what really pushes the boundaries.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote