Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Trying to figure out an issue

Last night my check engine light came on, said reduced engine power, and rev match stopped working even when turned on. There was also a red light on that was a P in a circle with a wrench under it which would have to do with the parking brake. The car will sometimes idle high as well around 1,000 RPMs. Only mods done to the car are rotofab that I put on recently and throttle controller that I've had on for months and thousands of miles. Anyone know what the issue could be?

Thanks

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedSS View Post
Last night my check engine light came on, said reduced engine power, and rev match stopped working even when turned on. There was also a red light on that was a P in a circle with a wrench under it which would have to do with the parking brake. The car will sometimes idle high as well around 1,000 RPMs. Only mods done to the car are rotofab that I put on recently and throttle controller that I've had on for months and thousands of miles. Anyone know what the issue could be?

Thanks
It's your throttle controller. The code with read too much voltage to your accelorator. The problem arises when you mess with the airflow. If you delete the secondary cats or add a cai, it causes this issue. You basically need to take the controller out or stop going WOT

Unplug and replug in your controller and then drive it for 30 miles and a couple starts and stops. The code will clear. This issue will happen over and over again.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
It's your throttle controller. The code with read too much voltage to your accelorator. The problem arises when you mess with the airflow. If you delete the secondary cats or add a cai, it causes this issue. You basically need to take the controller out or stop going WOT

Unplug and replug in your controller and then drive it for 30 miles and a couple starts and stops. The code will clear. This issue will happen over and over again.
If you delete the secondary cats? Can you elaborate?
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
This is the second thread he has mentioned deleted secondary cats and having problems but hasn't elaborated.

Quote:

The calibration has nothing to do with air flow. It's done with pedal position/voltage. Which is why it's done with the pedal not depressed and the pedal depressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedSS View Post

Thanks
You could try recalibrating the throttle controller or removing it.

Could you have broken something or not fully connected something during the Rotofab install?
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners

Last edited by sub_ETCS_ret; 01-19-2017 at 04:52 PM.
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm 99% positive that nothing was broken on the rotofab install, going to re-adjust and tighten everything up again just to be sure. If it's the throttle controller could redoing the programming help fix it now that the rotofab is on, or will it not make a difference

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
gw6211

Drives: 2016 2SS
why don you quit guessing and find out what the code is. THAT is the starting point. geez, could be anything....
gw6211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw6211 View Post
why don you quit guessing and find out what the code is. THAT is the starting point. geez, could be anything....
There is that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Deleting your secondary cats changes your airflow and throttle response a bit. As a result, your throttle controller causes your throttle position sensor to think there is too much juice going into your throttle. As a result, you'll get a throttle
Position voltage CEL.

the same principle can be applied to your cai. The factory throttle position sensor has a range that it can be in without throwing codes. The vitesse at WOT pushes that boundary, and any other mods that effect throttle
Response even slightly will cause issues. Especially on a higher setting on the throttle controller.

I learned this from dealing with the issue myself. go read the code at an autozone and you'll see what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with calibrating it.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Deleting your secondary cats changes your airflow and throttle response a bit. As a result, your throttle controller causes your throttle position sensor to think there is too much juice going into your throttle. As a result, you'll get a throttle
Position voltage CEL.

the same principle can be applied to your cai. The factory throttle position sensor has a range that it can be in without throwing codes. The vitesse at WOT pushes that boundary, and any other mods that effect throttle
Response even slightly will cause issues. Especially on a higher setting on the throttle controller.

I learned this from dealing with the issue myself. go read the code at an autozone and you'll see what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with calibrating it.
Thanks for your explanation.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
This is the second thread he has mentioned deleted secondary cats and having problems but hasn't elaborated.

The calibration has nothing to do with air flow. It's done with pedal position/voltage. Which is why it's done with the pedal not depressed and the pedal depressed.

You could try recalibrating the throttle controller or removing it.

Could you have broken something or not fully connected something during the Rotofab install?
My friend...I know how a throttle controller works. The new airflow is changing the throttle position outside of the operating range. Its only because he has the throttle controller though. At WOT it pushes the throttle
Position past the range.

Like I said... the code will be throttle position voltage CEL.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Thanks for your explanation.

No prob my friend. That issue puzzled me for the longest time.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gw6211 View Post
I agree. How do you spend hundreds on "upgrades" and not invest in a code reader (like $50 at harbor freight)???
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
Quote:
Position voltage CEL.

In my experience this is true. I have the VTC. I went to an exhaust shop to have my secondary cats removed last year. First thing I did post install was to rev the engine to see how much louder it was over stock and got a CEL. It was related to the throttle positioning. I removed the VTC and drove home. When I got home I disconnected the battery overnight and reconnected in the morning. Reinstalled and reprogrammed the VTC and haven't had any issues since. I've done plenty of WOT runs and no more codes.
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #14
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyscorpion951 View Post
In my experience this is true. I have the VTC. I went to an exhaust shop to have my secondary cats removed last year. First thing I did post install was to rev the engine to see how much louder it was over stock and got a CEL. It was related to the throttle positioning. I removed the VTC and drove home. When I got home I disconnected the battery overnight and reconnected in the morning. Reinstalled and reprogrammed the VTC and haven't had any issues since. I've done plenty of WOT runs and no more codes.
Yeah I had that same issue with my corvette. The ecu takes a couple miles to adjust to the changes and in some cases, it's within the range to not throw a code and you're good. In my case, after adding a corsa x pipe which deleted my secondary cats and adding a afe cai, it was too far out of the range and I got a CEL like once a week.

The other thing I noticed is that I only got the CEL in track mode. Tour and sport were fine because it had a less aggressive throttle setting in those modes. I finally got fed up and just had my tuner tune the throttle response to my liking.