Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-20-2017, 03:26 AM   #43
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2SS View Post
And to those who say "it is illegal", it is not in Colorado if you have a FOB and the vehicle can run without the key inside and the door is locked: Check

And it isn't gonna get stolen when I pay at the pump, it is locked, FOB is in pocket, and Glock is on hip. Running or not, it just isn't gonna happen.

And if gas stations blow-up when people do this I must be the only person in America doing it, because I read the paper and watch the news and have never once heard of a gas station explosion caused by engine-on re-fueling. Please find me a story and prove me wrong.

Thanks for all your responses, none of which gave me any worry about my original question, which was possible damage to my SS. I am not concerned about a one off event on a totally different type of vehicle.
But why do it in the first place? What are you trying to prove? Just shut your engine off like everyone else does and you KNOW you won't cause any damage to your car, yourself, or others.

You wonder why people respond with the comments they did, because you have the attitude like this.

"Glock on hip"...... I'm a licenced CCW and gun advocate myself but that tells me a lot about you just mentioning that.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:38 AM   #44
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
But why do it in the first place? What are you trying to prove? Just shut your engine off like everyone else does and you KNOW you won't cause any damage to your car, yourself, or others.

You wonder why people respond with the comments they did, because you have the attitude like this.

What on earth would you even imagine that I am trying to "prove?" I am not on Facebook, or Twitter, or YouTube showing the world, "look at me being a rebel and fueling with the engine on!" I gave a perfectly coherent and sensible response to Glen on why I do it......did you miss that? One more time in case you did......I don't live in Florida where my oil starts its morning at a lovely 70 degrees. Sometime here in Denver my oil is 10 or 20 degree In the morning. If I start the car and need gas immediately I am not gonna turn it off 2 minutes after a cold start when I get to the gas station. 20 degree oil takes 15-20 minutes to get to a good operating temperature. I am not gonna cold start and immediately turn off my car if I can avoid it. If vehicles running at gas stations are a danger why do we let anyone have their car ever running near someone else who is pumping gas? Would not the car on the other side of the pump be a risk to me whe I am pumping? Not likely huh? Sometimes in life you have to be able to decipher what is merely a suggestion like, "Turn off enigine" and what is actually good advice like "don't drive drunk." But if you like to follow everything that big brother and the nanny state demand of you more power to you.
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #45
Co2SS

And please...."Glock on hip" comment gets you bent out of shape? I can't imagine why, I am simply saying that my car isn't gonna get stolen locked with me standing there armed. I don't carry it for the Zombie invasion, I carry it for career criminals who might try to carjack, rob, or otherwise steal my vehicle thus putting me and the general public at great risk for serious bodily injury or death. And we have open-carry here so that all the criminal assholes can see who the easy and not so easy targets are. No need for CCW but thanks.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:00 AM   #46
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
What on earth would you even imagine that I am trying to "prove?" I am not on Facebook, or Twitter, or YouTube showing the world, "look at me being a rebel and fueling with the engine on!" I gave a perfectly coherent and sensible response to Glen on why I do it......did you miss that? One more time in case you did......I don't live in Florida where my oil starts its morning at a lovely 70 degrees. Sometime here in Denver my oil is 10 or 20 degree In the morning. If I start the car and need gas immediately I am not gonna turn it off 2 minutes after a cold start when I get to the gas station. 20 degree oil takes 15-20 minutes to get to a good operating temperature. I am not gonna cold start and immediately turn off my car if I can avoid it. If vehicles running at gas stations are a danger why do we let anyone have their car ever running near someone else who is pumping gas? Would not the car on the other side of the pump be a risk to me whe I am pumping? Not likely huh? Sometimes in life you have to be able to decipher what is merely a suggestion like, "Turn off enigine" and what is actually good advice like "don't drive drunk." But if you like to follow everything that big brother and the nanny state demand of you more power to you.

20 degree oil in this car does NOT take 20 minutes to get to running temp. Now you're really blowing hot air. And if you're so concerned with that just fill up when the engine is hot. It's not like it's a shock that you need gas when you start the car cold in the morning.

Whatever man. You deserve the snide comments because you're being completely irrational and unreasonable.

Fill the f'ing car up with the engine on, it's your car. If something breaks because of it have fun.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 AM   #47
Co2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
20 degree oil in this car does NOT take 20 minutes to get to running temp. Now you're really blowing hot air. And if you're so concerned with that just fill up when the engine is hot. It's not like it's a shock that you need gas when you start the car cold in the morning.

Whatever man. You deserve the snide comments because you're being completely irrational and unreasonable.

Fill the f'ing car up with the engine on, it's your car. If something breaks because of it have fun.
Ok you win. Thanks for your help and dog bless you.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:01 AM   #48
MikeR

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible European Vers.
We are all unarmed over here so I have to shut it down and lock the doors while paying inside...
IMO it is not bad for an engine to sut it down at low temperatures. The viscosity of the oil is especially chosen because of the different temparature conditions and rpmīs itīs uase at. But a hot car is nicer to drive so I can understand what you mean. I have a pre-heater in my winter car so itīs warm and the oil is heated up when I get in the car
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #49
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
And please...."Glock on hip" comment gets you bent out of shape? I can't imagine why, I am simply saying that my car isn't gonna get stolen locked with me standing there armed. I don't carry it for the Zombie invasion, I carry it for career criminals who might try to carjack, rob, or otherwise steal my vehicle thus putting me and the general public at great risk for serious bodily injury or death. And we have open-carry here so that all the criminal assholes can see who the easy and not so easy targets are. No need for CCW but thanks.
Carry On Brother! Love open carry states - same here.

Folks smoked while filling up for years (still see it from time to time - I agree thats not very smart). People get in and out of their cars while its cold (worst time because of the higher risk of static). Cars are running when they drive up (guess we should just coast in to a station with the engine off).

IMHO, the only valid argument here is either the possibility of theft or fuel economy (emissions) - unless it is illegal in your area. Theft only affects me and fuel economy went out the window when I bought an SS.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #50
Captain Obvious
^Name^ | Things I Say -->

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
However, according to the NACS, Americans refuel between 16 and 18 BILLION times per year. And 48 people, on average, are injured because of gas station fires per year. That's a 1:375,000,000 chance.

I mean, do what you want - but realize that, statistically speaking, there is no greater danger from leaving a car running.
I don't care if anyone leaves their car running, but I have to point out that these statistics don't prove anything about the safety of leaving vehicles running. This is a single dataset of refuels performed by Americans who, for the most part, shut their cars off during the operation. It is highly likely that only a very small percentage of these 16 to 18 refuels were performed with the vehicle running. In order to determine the actual chances of fire with the engine running vs. not running, you'd need two samples, one for refuel with engine off, and one for refueling with engine on.

If anything, this data only proves that refueling with engine off makes the operation very, very safe, since 99.99% of these refuels were likely performed with engine off. It proves exactly nothing about the comparative safety of refueling with engine on vs. off.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #51
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
I think I'm going to throw something out there. Can anyone prove that leaving an engine running is MORE dangerous than stopping it? Or, stated another way, is leaving a machine in a constant state MORE dangerous than starting a car?

First off, I researched this last night, and was able to come up with exactly 1 case of a fire caused by a running motor with no contributory causes. However, I also saw exactly one case where a person restarted their car and caused a fire.

Think about it for a sec. What could cause a fire on a running car?

Exhaust pipes? Perhaps. Headers will be around 400-500* on a car. But, those headers will remain that temp for several minutes after you shut it down. So, stopping an engine won't help.

Exhaust gases? Not even close. Unless you have a leak at the heads, the temps coming out your tailpipe are barely 130*.

Electrical discharge? Hmmm - good question. Where are the electrical signals going when a car is running? Sparkplugs (high off the ground, and far away from the filler neck). Battery (inside trunk, or engine bay). Many other places, but few that are on the exterior of the car or near the ground.

But, there is one time when a high amount of electricity is sent to a location that is right near the ground, is exposed to atmosphere, and is in the middle of the car. It's when you engage the starter?

So, let's assume that there is a vapor or fluid leak (vapors hug the ground, so we'll treat them the same). It'll go under your car. If the engine is running, there's a slight chance that you will get a fire. But, that would mean the vapors would have to go up into your engine bay in sufficient quantity to combust. With the radiator fan probably running, that's gonna be tough. But, if there is gas under your car, and you hit the starter motor, there's a chance that the electricity could spark, or the gears could cause a spark when they engage.

I'll bet that, in some number of years, the "engine off" myth will go much the same way as cell phones on airplanes can cause a crash and cell phones cause fuel fires myths have gone.

https://www.pei.org/sites/default/fi...0Incidents.pdf

Study showing that, prior to 1999, fires at gas stations were thought to be caused by engines running, smoking, or lack of electrical continuity between the dispenser and nozzle. However, when they studied fires from 1999-2000, not one fire was caused by an engine running. All were caused by static, or unknown causes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.4079aa5c2494

Article that illustrates at least 1 case of a running engine causing a fire - it was a Ferrari where the engine was right next to the fill cap. But, there is also another case where an engine was off, and then started a fire when it was restarted (i.e. fire would not have occurred if engine was kept running). This case was a minivan, which is more similar to our cars (engine far away from refill point).
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #52
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Just going to leave this here....on a less serious note

https://youtu.be/e2MfsMmki5U

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #53
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
I shut my car off just like most everyone else i ever seen here at gas stations in NYC. It is the law in NY. I mean it is one time a few days or a week people put gas into their cars unless they are going on a road trip, no? The gas attendant will tell you to turn your car off here unless your pumping it on your own. Is it safer, i don't know or really care but do what became natural to me is turning the dam thing off for the 2-3 minutes. I can deal without the heat or AC for that amount of time... LOL
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #54
tcal780

Drives: 16 1SS White M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmcss View Post
Nice catch on your part!

Someone on this forum (I can't remember who) talked about this like end of 2015 or beginning of 2016. He forgot something in his house. They got out and went inside to grabbed what they needed and left the keys (Inside).

They jumped in the car (That is already started) and headed to the gas station. Turned the car off and filled it. Got back in and it would not start (No Keys). They had to call their neighbor to go into his house and bring him the keys.

Yes, as long as it does not shut off and you have gas it will go.
Thought I'd chime in on this since I've had first hand experience.
I once left the house without the keys and drove 20 miles, I have an M6 and I stalled it TWICE on the way and was able to restart it immediately. Got to where I was going, left the car running in the parking lot for about 15 minutes, went home. All without a key. All told, about an hour trip.
tcal780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #55
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcal780 View Post
Thought I'd chime in on this since I've had first hand experience.

I once left the house without the keys and drove 20 miles, I have an M6 and I stalled it TWICE on the way and was able to restart it immediately. Got to where I was going, left the car running in the parking lot for about 15 minutes, went home. All without a key. All told, about an hour trip.

Interesting to know. I guess no key doesn't mean you can't restart it. Maybe it just means once the ignition is switched off it can't be switched on again.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #56
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
Interesting to know. I guess no key doesn't mean you can't restart it. Maybe it just means once the ignition is switched off it can't be switched on again.
You nailed it. The ignition was never off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote