Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #1
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
"A/C Off Due To High Engine Heat"... got the problem

Yes, I'm well aware that there are other threads but different problems seem to cause this message on the DIC so I want to see which one is the most consistent solution to it.

First time I got it was February of last year... Was on my way to class and it happened..scared the bejesus out of me, but I fixed it by unplugging and replugging the ECU harness trick. Didn't get it again until not longer after I finally installed my longtube headers I believe in September or October, I think it was. Now it happens all the time and I keep having to do the ECU harness plugging trick to keep it at bay, and its staring to get irritating. I know my engine is not actually hot because before the message pops up, I'm running between 190-210 coolant temp depending on if I'm cruising or idling. Not only that, but when it does happen, my oil temp and water temp gauges go to zero and are no longer reading.

So far I've done the ECU unplug/replug fix which has been like a bandaid, and I've also replaced the engine coolant sensor which did not work. Starting to wonder if it's the plug harness that plugs into the engine coolant sensor, the entire engine harness or even worse, the ECU. Anything helps.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
jwcassidy1969

Drives: 2018 red hot 1le
Did you make sure your fan is coming on to cool the car down? Does it only shut off when stopped or in traffic? Does the fan come on when you turn the a/c on? You could have some air pockets in your radiator that can be your problem also. If you have your car tuned could be in the fan setting also,they can adjust the fan to come on more frequent or later in the tune.
jwcassidy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcassidy1969 View Post
Did you make sure your fan is coming on to cool the car down? Does it only shut off when stopped or in traffic? Does the fan come on when you turn the a/c on? You could have some air pockets in your radiator that can be your problem also. If you have your car tuned could be in the fan setting also,they can adjust the fan to come on more frequent or later in the tune.
When I get the message, the radiator fan does turn on and it just stays on continuously even though the car is not running hot. It happens randomly. Sometimes when I'm driving at 65mph on the highway and other time when I'm stopped at a light.

Car is not tuned, though I need to get it tuned with the headers n all.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
jwcassidy1969

Drives: 2018 red hot 1le
When the a/c is on one of the fans should stay on all the time while the a/c is on.The. Other fan comes on when the car hits the correct temp setting. Sounds like you may have a ground issue. Did this start before or after you installed the headers? May you unbolted a ground from around the head or one that came loose. Are you getting a check engine light also or just a message on the DIC? Trace your steps from what you did prior to when the problem started and you will probably find what it is. If it fixes the problem when you mess with the harness you may have a bad connection or broken wire in that are you can't see due to the wire insulation. Electrical problems are usually not easy to find just be patient. Remember if you turn on the a/c and it doesn't kick on the fan immediately then only one fan is working and the car needs both to keep it cool. Also air pockets in the system will cause problems also so you may need to read up on burping the system.
jwcassidy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote