Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
My official departure to the ZL1 brotherhood

I've been realizing for quite some time that me owning such a high end car like my ZL1 wasn't (cost) practical mainly being since I barely put 3K miles on him in one year. The car sat a lot mainly because I was always worried about some idiot hitting the car in a parking lot or worse someone driving stupid and wrecking in to my $60K vehicle. The high stress levels of constantly keeping the car in pristine cosmetic appearance was something I couldn't deal with anymore.

So I decided it was time to do some major downsizing and I bought myself a little Mini Cooper S which is actually pretty fun to drive. Yes, I do realize the car barely has 1/3 the HP that my ZL1 had but it's actually pretty impressive on the street. The getty-up-n-go surprised the heck out of me. I'm more than pleased with the car and I feel like my wallet has gotten this huge burden unloaded as well.

I still plan on hanging out on the C5 forum but mainly in the car washing section. I met some very nice members in this section of the forum and I'm thankful for that.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Sorry for your loss dude.... but for a practical car you did pretty well. The mini's are very fun.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
So I guess you traded it in,on the mini...Remember how much of a Buzz was made about them when they first came out...The wait list was huge..Well enjoy it...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
I dont get it?
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Garrett Custom

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2000 Silverado LT
Enjoy the mini they are fun to drive

Roger
2012 ZL-1 #1076
2016 Explorer XLT (wife's)
2002 Ducati ST4S
2000 Silverado LT
1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Garrett Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
congrats on your new endeavor, good luck and glad you plan to hang around still.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Sorry for your loss, but your continued presence is very welcome! Always a brother.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...

That sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Last edited by BPG; 03-03-2014 at 12:22 AM.
BPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Owning a very nice car can be a stressful endeavour. People might think I'm crazy for it but I drive my ZL everyday in sun, rain, snow or blizzard. It's my DD and not only that it's my work vehicle so it operates as my mobile office. I do business consulting and only keep my cars for 36 months so I get every second of enjoyment out of it that I can.

It kind of saddens me that you owned such an incredible car but that the stress of it took away from the pure joy that is the ZL. I hope you get lots of enjoyment from your Cooper and I've seen them at the Autocross and they do very well. Life is much to short to not enjoy every minute possible so good luck with your new car.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
So you traded the car because you were afraid it would get messed up and you'd lose value? looool

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #11
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Congrats on your purchase. I can identify with some of your concerns as I've had similar feelings about my current cars. Some things that have allowed me to enjoy preserving the look of my signature cars were having a dd, and keeping the main cars in a garage. By no means should one over protect a car, but when you have your good car outside then you should use your judgment and watch your surroundings.

Good luck, and maybe if you change your mind you may find yourself in a ZL once again. It would be a shame to lose an ownership opportunity just due to worries about potential damage.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #12
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Sayonara! I feel your pain brother....every month. Best to you!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:55 AM   #13
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
I dont get it?
what's there not to get? I traded in a huge stress factor in my life because I was obsessed about keeping it spotless and in a safe condition. $60K doesn't come easy to me so the fear of something happening to such a high end vehicle got the best of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Sorry for your loss, but your continued presence is very welcome! Always a brother.
thanks man. I will miss the awesome power that my ZL1 had but I won't miss the stress of owning such a high end car and my wallet won't miss the hefty monthly payment. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
So you traded the car because you were afraid it would get messed up and you'd lose value? looool
read my first post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I can identify with some of your concerns as I've had similar feelings about my current cars. Some things that have allowed me to enjoy preserving the look of my signature cars were having a dd, and keeping the main cars in a garage. By no means should one over protect a car, but when you have your good car outside then you should use your judgment and watch your surroundings.

Good luck, and maybe if you change your mind you may find yourself in a ZL once again. It would be a shame to lose an ownership opportunity just due to worries about potential damage.
I will have another high end car one day. just now isn't the time. I decided to buy something very practical and affordable so I can begin to stash some $$$ for a few years.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #14
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...and now, for the swan song...play "My Way" by Frank Sinatra....