Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
why get a z28 over a vette?

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love the z/28.. but why get one over a corvette if the track is your goal?

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
don't get me wrong, i absolutely love the z/28.. but why get one over a corvette if the track is your goal?
I guess you'd need to specify which Corvette. My initial answer would be: Because it will be much...much faster around a road course than a standard Corvette, Corvette Z51, Corvette GS, and even the new Stingray...moreover...versus, say a C6 Z06/Z07...it'll be more confidence-inspiring.

Don't forget one of the Z/28's "hidden" abilities is utter durability and relentlessness around a track...you can lap over, and over, and over and not wear the car down nearly as quickly as others - because that's what it was built to do.

.....And it's a Z/28!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Its an emotional decision only an Icon can invoke. In my opinion I would own this rather than any other car, its just the perfect car in my eyes. If I had a blacked out z07 or GT3 next to it it wouldnt loose any value in my eyes. Not saying the other two are bad, oh no. I dont care if its not faster, its about how it makes you feel while going very fast.

Man I hope day I get to experience it on the track.

Last edited by Mgizzle; 11-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
I'd swap in both my SS and Boss just to get the Z/28 living next to my C7.... well maybe the SS at least. Anyway, point is these are 2 totally different type of cars... if you will honestly use it for its intended purpose (the track/road course/ HPDE's etc.) then the Z/28 is the ticket to get; as stated it will aid you in embodying Sebastian Vettel-like consistency & results, lap after lap! I can't wait to see it in person as well... and hopefully drive or ride in it at least. This beast will be topnotch brutal, in a good way!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Have you seen the two sitting side by side?

I have, and the z don't loose ANYTHING to the vette.

Don't know how else to put it...

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
...I've been a dyed in the wool Z-28 guy since I was 16. My whole life. The Z/28 reincarnation is a dedicated road course track car. Much more so than anything that ever came before it, and then some. The Corvette still has creature comforts and features that are primary within all all models not removed in order to shed weight for race performance like the Z/28 has done.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Preference.

If I had my pick, it would be a modern Chevelle to go with my 70 but they don't make that. My dad is a Camaro guy and has owned multiple including the 98 Z28 I'm driving while we restore my Chevelle. I guess that's where I get my love for Camaros. Don't get me wrong, I would love a C6 Z06 but it isn't the same as how much I want a 1LE or Z/28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...If I had to (or were able...lol...) to choose, I would go Z/28....Corvettes, even the new C7s, will be plentiful for the foreseeable future and very nice used ones can be had for a reasonable price...as will probably be the case not too long from now with the C7s...

....I don't see that being the case with the Z/28....Corvettes have always been Chevy's flagship performance car, and that probably won't change...The Z/28 will only have a small window of availability....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
why would anyone choose a Z/28 over a Corvette? well realistically the majority of the buyers who will be buying this car will get the Z/28 simply bc they can. They will be well off enough that they can have this car added to their collection, it will be a third or fourth car to them or even rarer, they might actually race it! haha

Now, if it was me spending my moneys and I was well off enough to have one of these vehicles as a second car or a toy, I'm taking the Z06 every day of the week and twice on sunday. Don't get me wrong the Z/28 is one hell of a machine, but not my style. Much rather have a Corvette
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
this was built perfect for me...now I can haul 3 kids or 4 wheels to the track.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
The C7 Stingray turned a lap at Laguna Seca of 1:38....will the Z28 do better? I dunno,but if it does it certainly won't be "much faster" as some seem to think.

The real reason though,in my eyes, to favor the Z28 is the fact that in six months the C7 "newness" will have worn off. Especially when the next "Z" version of the C7 is debuted at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

But the Z28 will be a car that will be at the head of its class for this generation and its collectibility will be through the roof.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
The Z28 will be a rare beast. It doesn't make sense to most people and that's why it's the one to get. Cars like that never sell in large numbers and will always be desirable. The C7 while being an awesome car will be everywhere. Especially since it's such an overall improvement.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
The C7 Stingray turned a lap at Laguna Seca of 1:38....will the Z28 do better? I dunno,but if it does it certainly won't be "much faster" as some seem to think.

The real reason though,in my eyes, to favor the Z28 is the fact that in six months the C7 "newness" will have worn off. Especially when the next "Z" version of the C7 is debuted at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

But the Z28 will be a car that will be at the head of its class for this generation and its collectibility will be through the roof.

the collectibility is a def win for the Z/28.

I bought a new VW R32 back in 2004 for 27k. Low mileage versions 10 years later still fetch 18-20k. They made 5000 for 1 year only.

Being that the Z/28 has a real long history and will have at least 1000 less produced - id say it is safe to say you could buy this car and not lose much if ever decided to sell.

But from a strictly performance standpoint - ZR1s are going for mid 60s now (rare but out there). While used, that is the imo the best bargin if you are thinking of spending this much money for a track toy.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Collectibility and rarity of the Z/28 will likely trump over any current Camaro, Mustang, Mopar, and C7... even the Viper perhaps. That's a given if it will be pricey and extremely limited in numbers. Heck my '12 Boss 302 still holds its value quite well... depreciates roughly 10-15% for a somewhat limited release edition (limited in the sense that they still produced approx 4000 overall per year for two years). The new Z/28 will be a track beast as we're all well aware but like others said, it's not the only option since C6 Z06's and ZR1's are being deeply discounted. Also, if you plan on competing in sanctioned road course events then examine if the Z/28 will qualify.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote