Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #113
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
just ask yourselves before you buy it, is it a 75k car when the dealer is going to tell you it is worth 50k the moment you drive it off the lot.

500 cars in 2014. Scarcity is the primary determinate of value of a commodity.

Your comment might apply to ZL1 but not a Z/28.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #114
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe h View Post
Gm has been promising a super charged, fully warrantied track car since 2007, and the best they have come up with is stripped down ss, with a very weak ls7 motor.
I guess you missed the ZL1 memo which, at its time of announcement, delivered on those '07 promises you refer to. But, at 4100 pounds with a greater % of weight over the front wheels than many considered "ideal" for curvy track work, the Z/28 was green lit, with an eye towards weight savings, higher revs, natural aspiration, and all-out grip and dynamics.

If "life is all about choices", Camaro offers many...

Had the ZL1 and Z/28 switched places and volumes, with regard to life cycle availability, they would have pretty much switched prices, as well... Greater volume has a way of lowering unit prices. For those who sought something just like the Z/28, it's now available to order, at a price that guarantees exclusivity while providing a fully warranteed car that also contains an ultra-perma-grin. No other Manufacturer provides MORE for LESS, OEM, with a VIN and NO modifications.

"Tinker Toys"? A whole 'nother story...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-10-2014 at 12:25 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #115
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...we are out of synch in time and place, like a manufacturing time space warp between these cars, but,... beyond the argument of the chicken and egg and who came first, enjoy what's offered...irregardless.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #116
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I know 75k is too much for me. I think deprciating will be bad on this car if they build too many in 2015.

the only thing that will save this car is limited production. as good as it performs @75k can there are cars on the market that kill it that can be had for the same money.

I am not a hater I like like the car I just think it is too much money. unless it performs even better than the PR that is out now.

if I had 75k to spend I would buy a Zr1 or GTr something that performs better and the depriciation is already out it.

then again 75k would be the very top of any budget I could rationalize and the depriciation that comes along with a car like that would be hard for me to handle. I mean my z06 I had dude paid 76,405 and then i come along 7k later and pay 46K. I lost 4k on that car when I sold it. the first owner lost 30k in two years.

I am sure I am 10k down on my Zl1 right now but not 30k ha ha.

people can tell themselvs a z28 won't deprciate but 2 years from now it will have it they produce enough volume.

and for all the LS7 hate???? I don't get that. it was one of my favorite engines in stock form I have ever owned. I really like that platfrom. heads, headers, cam this car will be rocket.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #117
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I know 75k is too much for me. I think deprciating will be bad on this car if they build too many in 2015.

the only thing that will save this car is limited production. as good as it performs @75k can there are cars on the market that kill it that can be had for the same money.

I am not a hater I like like the car I just think it is too much money. unless it performs even better than the PR that is out now.

if I had 75k to spend I would buy a Zr1 or GTr something that performs better and the depriciation is already out it.

then again 75k would be the very top of any budget I could rationalize and the depriciation that comes along with a car like that would be hard for me to handle. I mean my z06 I had dude paid 76,405 and then i come along 7k later and pay 46K. I lost 4k on that car when I sold it. the first owner lost 30k in two years.

people can tell themselvs a z28 won't deprciate but 2 years from now it will have it they produce enough volume.

and for all the LS7 hate???? I don't get that. it was one of my favorite engines in stock form I have ever owned. I really like that platfrom. heads, headers, cam this car will be rocket.
You make good points and give good examples, but there is another issue at work. A new issue.

We are at the end of a car-type production era. There is a convergence of environmental, mileage, and other government regulations conspiring to pressure building such a car out of existence. Note I did not say the performance envelope of this Z/28 will go out of existence, because it surely will not. I simply maintain this car as built will become the high-water mark for such high performance cars.

Ten or more years from now, if you want to own one of the last examples of an exclusive automotive generation. . . you will have to pay a premium to do so.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #118
VRYALT3R3D

Drives: 2015 GT, 1LE next?
The problem with the Z/28's price point is that you can cross shop it with much more capable cars.

Used Viper ACRs and Z06/ZR1s are in the same price range as the Z/28.
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #119
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Originally Posted by hognutz -
"I know 75k is too much for me. I think deprciating will be bad on this car if they build too many in 2015.

and for all the LS7 hate???? I don't get that. it was one of my favorite engines in stock form I have ever owned. I really like that platfrom. heads, headers, cam this car will be rocket."

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
The problem with the Z/28's price point is that you can cross shop it with much more capable cars.

You can't really compare new and used. Someone "wanting" new will not cross shop used.

Used has always been the better value, but new cars still keep selling...very well.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #120
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Originally Posted by hognutz -
"I know 75k is too much for me. I think deprciating will be bad on this car if they build too many in 2015.

and for all the LS7 hate???? I don't get that. it was one of my favorite engines in stock form I have ever owned. I really like that platfrom. heads, headers, cam this car will be rocket."

You can't really compare new and used. Someone "wanting" new will not cross shop used.

Used has always been the better value, but new cars still keep selling...very well.
True! I don't know why ppl talking negative about the Z/28 price even open their mouth.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #121
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post

Who cares about depreciation ??? Every car will depreciate first! And this Z/28 is the car to have because it being a 5th Gen Z/28 with GM making them for only two years at low production . The popularity and Retro looks of the z/28 even adds to the value,! There's thousands of Zr1's and GTR 's But only will be 2,000 Z/28's . You will see basically any other car on the streets other than a ugly Bugatti before you see a Z/28 . Most likely! Plus. None of the cars you named will be a collectors item!

Also used could mean abused ! If I'm paying that type of cash new would be it! Unless I want to wory about high priced car parts. Why buy a new anything , if you can just buy it used???
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #122
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post

I am that cross -shopper and I have no interest in those cars. For a good many reasons which I have no desire to type out.

I'm coming out of a GT3RS, how about them apples?

Look, some people get it, and some don't. You obviously don't.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #123
Petty43

I am not so sure about the limited production numbers. I am a recently retired GM employee. I worked at the Corvette plant in 2013 when the supposedly limited edition 60th anniversary was released. We built as many a we could sell. GM doesn't always practice what they preach.
Petty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #124
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty43 View Post
I am not so sure about the limited production numbers. I am a recently retired GM employee. I worked at the Corvette plant in 2013 when the supposedly limited edition 60th anniversary was released. We built as many a we could sell. GM doesn't always practice what they preach.
An excellent point, but given the short production window of the 2014 model year, how does that play out? Will they have the parts to build more than 500+- in 2014?
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #125
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty43 View Post
I wasn't involved with Chevy then, did they specifically state the 60th was limited production and was a specific production number quoted?

I want to put this in factual context with the public claims made by GM folks in regards to the Z/28.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #126
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Who cares about depreciation ??? Every car will depreciate first! And this Z/28 is the car to have because it being a 5th Gen Z/28 with GM making them for only two years at low production . The popularity and Retro looks of the z/28 even adds to the value,! There's thousands of Zr1's and GTR 's But only will be 2,000 Z/28's . You will see basically any other car on the streets other than a ugly Bugatti before you see a Z/28 . Most likely! Plus. None of the cars you named will be a collectors item!

Also used could mean abused ! If I'm paying that type of cash new would be it! Unless I want to wory about high priced car parts. Why buy a new anything , if you can just buy it used???

I care about resale. its how I own my cars and don't pay payments. but who cares about that I guess ha ha.

when you go to flip a car the less money you lose = more money you have to buy the next car.

It a pretty complex math problem though I don't expect everyone to get it.

plus you do relize if they build z28's in 2015 there could easily be as many of them on the planet as there are zr1's. they don't build even close to 2k a year of them. if they came along and built 4k Z/28's in 2015 it proablaby would be same total production. there were proabalby ~6-7k zr1's built out.

if I had know GM was going to overproduce the Zl1 like they did I may have bought the GT500. I think it will have better resale in hindsight. that was hard to know going in though as ford builds 4500-5k of those and GM only built 2k zl1's in 2012 so at that point I thought the Zl1 might have an advantage but I was wrong.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote