Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Said it before, and I'll say it again, but I agree with Baylor, and I feel the Camaro would do good to downsize a little, unless GM can pull off some miracle and keep it the same size AND drop 300+ lbs (yeah right).

Yes, the ATS is on a slightly smaller platform, but it IS a sedan...so I don't see any reason whatsoever why it can't be made to be coupe (Camaro). I know you all know this, but take a step back and look at the size of the 5th gen compared to the 4th gen and earlier. It is the odd ball out in terms of size and weight.....but I also feel it looks the best, but not b/c of the size. Same car but in ATS size would be fine by me.

Mustang is shrinking...perhaps considerably. I don't think Camaro needs to go that small, nor would I really want it to, but it needs to stay pretty damn close to Mustang in terms of weight/power ratio and handling. How much of a fail would it be for the next "base" Mustang to weigh 3,100 to 3,200 lbs and Camaro base to weigh 3,500 lbs? It would be embarrasing. Some people just want a bigger car and don't care about the weight, and I have no issue with that. But these two cars are direct compeititors whether you may like it or not, and so whatever improvements Mustang makes (weight/power) Camaro should work to be competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
I currently own both, a 2013 ATS Luxury package 2.0L turbo AWD, and let me tell you it's not even remotely close to being a Camaro. If GM tries to make the new gen Camaro similar to the ATS their gonna miss the boat really hard. Don't get me wrong my ATS is a nice car, and has some mechanical and undercarriage similarities but it's not a camaro, a new gen camaro and will never be compatible, well I hope not.
I don't get this statement. Sure, it may not feel like a Camaro in terms of look or feel, but the chasis is a wonderful place to start for a next gen Camaro in my opinion. ATS is known to be a great handler. Why wouldn't we want this for the next Camaro??
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #30
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I thought the best guesses were that the Camaro would be on the longer wheel base version of the alpha platform, making it a little larger than the ATS.
Why would it go on the LWB Alpha?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #31
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Why would it go on the LWB Alpha?
Just going by comments above about the ATS being smaller than the Camaro, basically a 2+2. And I thought it was mentioned in some other threads about using the longer platform. It's probably all speculation.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #32
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Just going by comments above about the ATS being smaller than the Camaro, basically a 2+2. And I thought it was mentioned in some other threads about using the longer platform. It's probably all speculation.
Yup, pretty much. About the only thing that is definite is that Camaro will be on a version of the Alpha platform, beyond that, complete speculation.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Well the Camaro needs to get smaller and lighter.

If anything, the resurrected Chevelle should go on the LWB Alpha.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #34
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
The ATS based Camaro, at least the German take:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/07/...-in-frankfurt/
Eh.

That concept shares a LOT with the Buick Riviera concept from a few months ago.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #35
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The ATS is an outstanding car. Agree with the comments. That being said, that won't necessarily make it a great Camaro.

Disagree on the size. The ATS is a small car. Keep in mind it is the same size as a Chevy Cruze and for all the people on here going "give us the ATS" as the platform for the NG Camaro, you are also saying, "give me a car the size of the Chevy Cruze".

I may be wrong on this point, but I don't want a small Camaro.

I've made the Comparison of our Audi S4 vs. the ATS. The Audi weighs a good 300 plus pounds more and if I'm picking, I'm picking the Audi. Doesn't mean that's what works for everyone, but for me I'd rather have the 3.0T and full time AWD and a slightly bigger car. Audi has reasonable rear seat accommodations. The ATS is at best a 2+2. Audi has a bigger trunk roomier and front seat space. And a Cruze has better rear seat and trunk space than the ATS. And agree those aren't attributes people are looking for in a Camaro, but GM has notoriously and famously packaged cars big on the outside and small on the inside. Look at the CTS Coupe. No front seat head room and a joke in the rear seat area. The took a reasonably roomy sedan and made it pretty bad if you ever intend more than a 12 year old to sit in the back seats. I love that car but it is a complete compromise to achieve the styling.

Now some will take a lighter Camaro no matter how small it is. That model doesn't work for me.

I want a Camaro off of a mid size platform, not a compact. JMO
ATS
Wheelbase (in / mm): 109.3 / 2775
Length (in / mm): 182.8 / 4643
Height (in / mm): 55.9 / 1421
Width (in / mm): 71.1 / 1805
Track (in / mm):
Front: 59.5 / 1512
Rear: 60.9 / 1548

2014 Camaro
WHEEL BASE 9 ft. 4.3 in. (112.3 in.)
LENGTH 15 ft. 10.6 in. (190.6 in.)
HEIGHT 4 ft. 6.2 in. (54.2 in.)
WIDTH 6 ft. 3.5 in. (75.5 in.)
FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 3.7 in. (63.7 in.)
REAR TRACK 5 ft. 4.1 in. (64.1 in.)

2015 CTS
Wheelbase (in / mm): 114.6 / 2911
Length (in / mm): 195.5 / 4966
Height (in / mm): 57.2 / 1454
Width (in / mm): 72.2 / 1833
Track (in / mm):
Front: 61.4 / 1560
Rear: 61.7 / 1568
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #36
WATCHER
My Wife's Cool Guy

Drives: 2013 Coupe RS NAVY BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
I, personally, am of the mindset that the Camaro needs to be smaller and lighter. That said, I also think there could be room to slot an additional, larger, 5 seat coupe above Camaro.
I agree. As it is, the Wheelbase of the ATS is over 2 inches longer than the Mustang. Keep the Camaro a 2+2 (which it really always has been). Make a CTS-Monte Carlo.

Unless Ford revives a Cougar, the platform design cost per unit will always be significantly higher than GMs plan for the ATS-Camaro. Assuming Camaro sales stay competitive with Mustangs.
WATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #37
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
I currently own both, a 2013 ATS Luxury package 2.0L turbo AWD, and let me tell you it's not even remotely close to being a Camaro. If GM tries to make the new gen Camaro similar to the ATS their gonna miss the boat really hard. Don't get me wrong my ATS is a nice car, and has some mechanical and undercarriage similarities but it's not a camaro, a new gen camaro and will never be compatible, well I hope not.
Incomparable... The 2.0/3.6 performance RWD iare the ONLY ATS models that would be performance comparable
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #38
WATCHER
My Wife's Cool Guy

Drives: 2013 Coupe RS NAVY BLUE
Smart Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
I have an ATS now, bought it as a way of previewing the next Camaro. So far I've been impressed.
Now take a look at Transformers 4 Bumblebee, loose the froufrou, put it on the 109.3 inch wheelbase (I think it may already BE)...squint, and there you have it!

The top brass claim the design is EVOLUTIONARY, not REVOLUTIONARY.
They gave us a heads up with the squinty eyed front for 2014. Bumblebee from Tr 4 is just a continuation. Tail lights are 2014. Haunches will be a bit different (as in TR 4) just because it's shorter. They are pretty much hiding the 2016 in plain sight.

ATS Coupe (shorter than sedan) is similar in size (larger wheelbase) to a Mustang. People who think they can't make a Camaro from that auspicious start are not engineers.
WATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #39
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
ATS, CTS, and Camaro will be made on the same line in Lansing. I doubt there will be any similar cues in styling between them. They will only be made on the same production line.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #40
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCHER View Post
I agree. As it is, the Wheelbase of the ATS is over 2 inches longer than the Mustang. Keep the Camaro a 2+2 (which it really always has been). Make a CTS-Monte Carlo.

Unless Ford revives a Cougar, the platform design cost per unit will always be significantly higher than GMs plan for the ATS-Camaro. Assuming Camaro sales stay competitive with Mustangs.
ATS, like the ZETA II Camaro, is modular. The front and rear sub-frames can be set to any length within a range.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #41
CarGarage

Drives: 2SS/RS,Wrangler,CTSVcoupe,viper,etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I usually do the same thing, testing out new platforms until the halo model comes out. When I get bored with them, I dramatically crash them and sell videos of the explosions to movie studios. When my insurance goes up, I buy out the insurance company and set my own rates. It's good being a multi-billionaire.
Amazing
CarGarage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation